Jake Voracek

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Voracek's defensive play has been so bad for most of this season that I think deadhead is right to criticize.

Not only has Jake been a .75 ppg player for his 2nd season in a row, he often has been a liability on top of it. How else do you explain a team-worst -24 for the season; -23 in 41 road games; and a by far team worst -12 in 29 games since Feb. 1 when the Flyers' other top players haven't struggled nearly the same? He continues to force many plays that aren't there, which results in danger the other way.

Oh, for sure. Since Xmas Jake has been bad - no doubt. He started the season gangbusters and through the first 35 games was playing great, but since then has looked a shadow of himself.

Giroux has at least rebounded and played some good hockey over the last ~6 weeks while Jake still looks lost.

But he has had 5 seasons before this where he played at worst above average defense as a winger - not sure ~40 games is enough to call his defense sub-par.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh, for sure. Since Xmas Jake has been bad - no doubt. He started the season gangbusters and through the first 35 games was playing great, but since then has looked a shadow of himself.

Giroux has at least rebounded and played some good hockey over the last ~6 weeks while Jake still looks lost.

But he has had 5 seasons before this where he played at worst above average defense as a winger - not sure ~40 games is enough to call his defense sub-par.

As we see so so soooo often, people are way too short-sighted on this board.

Bad ~40 games and suddenly exaggerations and panic. Now he's soft and horrible defensively and lazy and so on. All nonsense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you take the last four years (which includes his career year as well as his last two seasons) -

79g 19-45 64 -4 8.2% shooting 29 takeaways - 39 giveaways

At this point, at age 28, that's who he is.
It's wishful thinking to expect him to get any better.
With seven years left on his contract, you can probably hope to get this production for the next 4-5 years, the last 2-3 years will be problem.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I do not know how can anyone deny that both Voracek and Giroux have had below average 2 seasons of hockey. It may comes as news to some so called fans but sadly we have 82 games season and players performance is being judged by 82 games, not 40 or 30 or 20. Personally, I would give a player a break if he is injured or has one crappy seasons but come on.. show me somethig on the ice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I do not know how can anyone deny that both Voracek and Giroux have had below average 2 seasons of hockey. It may comes as news to some so called fans but sadly we have 82 games season and players performance is being judged by 82 games, not 40 or 30 or 20. Personally, I would give a player a break if he is injured or has one crappy seasons but come on.. show me somethig on the ice.

What are you complaining about now?

Who said they didn't have disappointing years? Find a post saying that. I'll wait.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Move him to the left wing or explore trading him. He would likely benefit as a player playing forehand and the team as a whole undeniably does as well.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'll wait until next season to form an opinion. He and Giroux are probably better than they've been

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll wait until next season to form an opinion. He and Giroux are probably better than they've been

Voracek was good for the first half of the year, terrible the second.

Giroux has been good, with the exception of January and February.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Yeah, I'm speaking more to full season production. With their skill sets, they should be at ~70 points per season and I believe that can be

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I'm speaking more to full season production. With their skill sets, they should be at ~70 points per season and I believe that can be

Yeah, I think so too.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both have bounce back years, especially since there's likely to be some significant improvements to both the forwards and defense.

Specifically Giroux proved that it was just a bad slump in the middle of the year, not a physical decline, which is obviously a very good sign for the near future.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I expect Hextall to talk to him once the season is over and make it clear to him that he needs to be better.
He makes too much money for a 50-60 points player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Talking about trading him is pointless.

Nobody is taking on 7 years at over $8 million for a 60 point winger.

We are better off keeping him and hoping he bounces back to being a consistent 70+ point player as the team around him improves. He has it in him.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I expect Hextall to talk to him once the season is over and make it clear to him that he needs to be better.
He makes too much money for a 50-60 points player.

... make it clear to him he needs to be better???

As if he doesn't know?
As if he's sitting there thinking he had a great year?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
... make it clear to him he needs to be better???

As if he doesn't know?
As if he's sitting there thinking he had a great year?
Of course he knows. But Voracek seems to be the kind of guy that could use an ass-kicking once in a while. Unlike Giroux who's a little more serious.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

lol.. You should use your favorite GIF.. Giroux has been good? Only at faceoffs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is so disingenuous. Crosby has an extremely team friendly deal because he makes a lot of money from sponsorships.

He also wanted to win more cups so he prioritized that over his own wealth, knowing the team needed money for other guys.

Say what you want about him but you gotta respect that.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
This is so disingenuous. Crosby has an extremely team friendly deal because he makes a lot of money from sponsorships.
Crosby could of asked for anything.. Really.. ANYTHING.. Crosby had multiple 100 pts seasons, SCs but Voracek makes only 250K less because of one really good season. One single 80pts season got him this contract.. WOW.
Think you could pick Giroux out of a lineup? If he was wearing his jersey too?
You keep asking me that... You must think you are clever lol. Time for your GIF again.. Make me proud.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You keep asking me that... You must think you are clever lol. Time for your GIF again.. Make me proud.

It's a real question, I really don't think you could since you obviously don't watch the games.

I don't think I've seen you say a single accurate thing yet. It's as if you just want to complain and don't feel like bothering with accuracy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00