When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Winning/losing doesn't affect me emotionally that much since I view sports as just entertainment. I do feel some sadness when a player, any team, gets badly hurt to the point it ruins their career. Hate to see someone's dream and livelihood messed up.

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
2001 game 7 vs tampa in tampa. Bailey went on to go full josh bailey and gave up the puck in the slot for a SH goal and the eventual game winner. I swore the Isles were winning the cup.

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
When Brad May scored that backbreaking OT goal in Gm 4 of the 1993 playoffs to sweep the Bruins, some 12 year old boy in the hockey universe, Bedford Massachusetts to be exact, was on his sofa crying in frustration. That boy was me.

We had, I believe, the second most points in the NHL that year and I thought we were going to smack Buffalo around for a little bit before we advanced to the next round but that was not to be as it was Buffalo that completely outplayed us all four games and of all people it was Brad May to plunge the dagger in for the killer blow.

Hockey was like life and death for me back then. We had quite a bit of crippling losses back then but that was the last time I cried as an NHL fan.

Anybody else have a similar time of despair as kid? If you were a stoic child then major kudos to you.
Ironically it was the same year for me. Kings eliminating Leafs in game 7 of the conference finals. I flicked stations maniacally for about 30 seconds, threw my remote at the TV and started bawling.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
20240428_172148.jpg

apparently 30 minutes ago for this little guy

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Never - but there are a few Red Wings fans crying because they "should have been playing the Rags" but got "robbed" of that opportunity by an undeserving Capitals team :laugh:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Never cried but the saddest I've felt was after the playoff losses in 1993 to the isles and 1996 to florida. Pens were heavy favorites and blew it.

Crosby/Malkin era penguin failures were more frustrating than anything else.

Reactions: Summer Rose

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Never cried, but when the Sens lost the cup in 2007 I was quite broken up about it. After a bought a week with depression symptoms I wondered why the hell I was letting a group of people who don't know I exist bother me so much, and a switch kind of went off.

I don't get bothered by them being terrible anymore. Its certainly more fun when they win and I get excited for it but I know its just a silly game that really doesn't mean anything. I don't get down when they lose, but I also don't get as invested in them winning.

Trade off I guess, that loss just gave me a new perspective.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Winning/losing doesn't affect me emotionally that much since I view sports as just entertainment. I do feel some sadness when a player, any team, gets badly hurt to the point it ruins their career. Hate to see someone's dream and livelihood messed up.
This is where I am. It's a game played by men being paid a tonne of money. Why would I get emotional over something I have 0 input, control, or stake in? I enjoy hockey for the love of the sport, not some deeper 'connection to the game at a human level'. It's a game.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hockey can only bring out that level of positive emotion in me, not negative. I’ve never cried sad tears over a hockey game. I would definitely cry tears of joy if my team won the cup. Last time I teared up watching hockey was seeing Ovi lift the cup
I have had ST in Boston for over 20 years ...watched Chicago and St Louis skate around in front of me at Boston Garden with the cup. I was at all 3 home games in 2011 vs the Nucks.

I cried when the Bruins won the cup in 2011. I was not in Vancouver at the game but home in my living room posting on HF.

My #1 thing on my bucket list is to see the Bruins win on home ice with me there. I am 71 so they had better hurry up. I am not sure how many more seasons I can afford ST or do the drive from NH to Boston.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I’m a Leaf fan. I’m numb to pain.

There have been a few moments that have caused me to wipe away a tear or two, in no particular order:

-Lemieux and Koivu returning after cancer treatments

-the Wings bringing Konstantinov on the ice after their Cup win (‘98??)

-Bourque lifting the Cup with the Avs

-Normand Léveillé going on the ice in Boston, Bourque helping him skate to the other Bruin legends, and the whole crowd giving him a standing ovation. Goosebumps.

-Salming’s return to Toronto in his final months, and Sittler bawling on the ice (and camera showing Tiger Williams crying in a suite)
These kinds of events make me shed a tear as well.

They honor military folks and families at times at Boston Garden. Sometimes these things get to me.

One time they had a couple (whose son had been serving for over a year in the Middle East) come out to drop the puck to start a game. They did not know their son was going to deliver the puck to them....made me cry.

Another time they showed a kid (probably about age 8) in the stands and they honored his Dad on the Jumbotron . All of the sudden his dad walked to his seat.

My ST are right next to the Bs bench, and we saw this very close up...yeah I cried.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I felt pretty dead inside when Kunitz scored the 2OT winner against Ottawa in 2017. I couldn't even react to it, I just didn't move for a few minutes.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad