Jake Voracek

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
20 goals, 50-55 assists would have been an awesome season for Jake. A LW that can finish like Lindblom is the perfect antidote.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I felt that Voracek throughout the year showed flashes of that dominant skating and push to the net attitude, then it dissappeared, and came back and went away again. He NEEDS to shoot more, he has a good shot but it's quite telegraphed.

I am not worried about him bouncing back.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Let me first preface this by saying that Jake could have had a better Season... and this was by no means his best year.

With that said... Purely Points-wise Jake stands at 61 Total Points, and there are only 34 Player who ended up with more Total Points... five Points off of Jeff Carter, who is in 27th place thanks in large part to a 3 Assist Game Saturday against the Hawks. -- keeping in mind that Jake was the major piece in the trading of Carter to CBJ... but Coots and a pick (Cousins) IIRC were also involved... Carter could by some to be the better Player by that alone -- 10 additional points to his 61 and he would be in 17th place... and 28 more places him tied with Crosby at 2nd... 39 Points off the leader, MvDavid. Jake was not all than many off 27th... nor really 17th place... But still not a great Season... but not really left all that far behind where a real Sniper in 82 Games on his line couldn't have actually propelled him up to a more favorable status among the Elite Cap Contracted Players.

Let's keep in mind also that Jake was the Points Leader on the Flyers... by a solid three Points... Which is nothing to turn one's nose up at, when you think about it.

So, to sum it up in a nutshell; If Jake can up his game a bit... more to where he was a little while back... and the Team can improve around him, including a real gunner on his line giving him more Assists... and better other line(s), allowing the top Defenses on each opposition to spread around to cover other Players... and better and more consistent Offensive play from his Defense...it would not be out ofr the question that Jake could again return to the upper rankings in the NHL.

A lot weighs on his getting back on track and playing up to his Talent Level... but a lot also needs to be supplied by the rest of the Flyers... Jake is still one of the Flyers top cogs on Offense, and would be missed if he and his high Cap would be gone... he just has to be helped a bit to be all he can be.

JMO

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jake has many good years left in him. Cant wait to see how he produces when he doesnt spend every single ES shift with at least 1 bad player on the ice with him.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I believe Jake would look like an absolute stud, a true worldbeater, on a contender.

He is forced to create way too much own his own day in day out on the Flyers.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I believe Jake would look like an absolute stud, a true worldbeater, on a contender.

why was he so studly two years ago on a flyers team that had less points than this years team?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
With adding Hagg and Morin which are the two "lesser" offensive defensemen, they will be replacing Schultz/Streit/MDZ.

That's still an improvement.

As pointed out, with the addition of Lindblom and hopefully Konecny improving. I'm really hoping that Voracek can come back to a 70-80 pt season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
With adding Hagg and Morin which are the two "lesser" offensive defensemen, they will be replacing Schultz/Streit/MDZ.

That's still an improvement.

As pointed out, with the addition of Lindblom and hopefully Konecny improving. I'm really hoping that Voracek can come back to a 70-80 pt season.

I hope so too, but Jake's problems look to me like Jake-centric problems - I couldn't for the life of me say what is causing them, but he just looked out of it since at least January. I remember I posted sometime just after Christmas something like "I think we need to start talking about Jake" - it's something I started to notice a long time ago, but I find him pretty difficult to read or evaluate in a lot of ways. He does so many things well, but will then just kind of flub it, especially mentally. I hope he comes back sharper next season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

What's he paid for?

He played half the season with Giroux. Apparently they are both great players, yet somehow both need a better player to play with. Which is it?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not a better player, the right type of player.

Like, for example, Couturier played with Simmonds and Voracek this year, but looked best with Schenn because they fit well together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While Couts has helped him (because neither G or V is a great defensive player, Couts takes some of that pressure off), the real difference this year isn't playing with better players, but Voracek finally playing up to his talent instead of gliding through life. The raw talent has never been an issue, but at times he has lacked intensity, and at others awareness, and sometimes both.

Last year he lead the team in turnovers (56 v 24 takeaways) among forwards, still turning it over (8) but also forcing turnovers (7).
had only 30 hits (Konency had 96 hits). This year 7 hits in 11 games.
His Corsi Rel was only 1.5, this year 7.0
ES GF/GA 2.5/3.5. This year 4.8/3.0.

The eyeball test confirms this, he's skating harder, playing more physical, more into the game.
Size matters, watch a Voracek entry v a Konency entry.
But motor also does, a high motor Voracek is an elite player, a so-so motor Voracek is good but nothing special.
Hopefully, he can maintain this level of player (or close to it) for 100 games.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Size matters

wbp_turbulence.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The more a player carries a puck, the more he/she turns it over.

Now add that to Giveaways/Takeaways (and Hits) being inordinately subjective and you have little predictive or descriptive value. We have better ways of measuring what G/T purports to quantify.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Every hockey stat other than goals scored (and that includes lucky deflections) is subjective, assists?
Takeaways tend to reflect "hustle."
The eyeball test confirms Voracek is hustling a lot more when he doesn't have the puck this season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Any way you slice he's having a great start to this season. Hopefully he keeps it up and we can generate more scoring down the lineup.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Every hockey stat other than goals scored (and that includes lucky deflections) is subjective, assists?
Takeaways tend to reflect "hustle."
The eyeball test confirms Voracek is hustling a lot more when he doesn't have the puck this season.

There are degrees.

Whether a player gets an Assist or not generally comes down to whether he/she touched the puck after the other team had control. There is some inference as to whether a touch did or did not happen, but for the most part, it's apparent after review. When you're dealing with Giveaways/Takeaways, you have the subjectivity of cause and effect -- not all Giveaways are Takeaways for the opposition. Was it a forced error or an unforced one? That's a massive difference.

Without even delving into any analysis of real depth, if you look at the way Giveaways and Takeways are recorded in places like San Jose and St Louis, you see just how different interpretations can be compared to the rest of the league. St Louis was credited with 431 Giveaways last year. San Jose was credited with 1082. If they were judged on the same plane, what's the likelihood that's possible?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Voracek is not playing much differently at all than he did last season. He's just producing now and his line is clicking.

I can't see how anyone could say he wasn't playing hard last season. Effort has never been an issue with Jake

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Voracek is not playing much differently at all than he did last season. He's just producing now and his line is clicking.

I can't see how anyone could say he wasn't playing hard last season. Effort has never been an issue with Jake
You can see the second and 3rd efforts and backchecking he was lazy last year compared to this year. A great thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->