Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Liking where his game is developing. Still has mistakes in his game but better than last year which was HELLA better than the year before. Very true could be slow developer but like where this is going :nod:

Reactions: lawrence and iFan

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
When was the last time a player on the Canucks that had 3rd line upside that fans were so obsessed about?

The answer is never. It so happens the only time was a player that was a Canadian and Local. Not a coincidence my friend.

Then why isn't the Stecher thread blowing up with since he's a local boy too?

People are invested in Virtanen because he was a high pick, not because of where he is from. No need to spin this into something it's not

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

People are invested in Virtanen because he was a high pick, not because of where he is from. No need to spin this into something it's not

When a thread has a lot of replies. There still has to be interesting topic to keep the conversation going on. Virtanen struggle since day one until now. Stecher didn't, make sense Virtanen thread has way more replies

There is a difference between obsessed on the topic about Virtanen progress as a player vs being obsessed with the player. A fair amount of people are obsessed about the player. How else do you explain how some Virtanen fans feel like he can be the next Bertuzzi or some 30 goal scorer. The main reason is because he is a local boy. The guy struggle to put more than 20 points in his last 3 seasons. Every time he had to player a higher level of hockey wjc/ahl/nhl he struggle. How else do you explain how fans feel he can be a Bertuzzi. The only answer is he is a local boy.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I missed a lotta the game yesterday, how did Virtanen play?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I missed a lotta the game yesterday, how did Virtanen play?
One of his poorer games to date, unfortunately. Not much of a factor in the physical department and some ghastly neutral zone turnovers. Lots of tools, but just no toolbox. Just doesn't make players around him any better because he just doesn't see them. But just one game I guess.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One of his poorer games to date, unfortunately. Not much of a factor in the physical department and some ghastly neutral zone turnovers. Lots of tools, but just no toolbox. Just doesn't make players around him any better because he just doesn't see them. But just one game I guess.

Wow..

So you didn't see or want to see the good parts?

He sent Roussel in on the breakaway.. deserved a point there. And almost scored when Roussel reciprocated a pass. A whisker away from a 2 pt night.

He had a couple neutral zone turnovers and wasnt rattling boards... but it didn't wipe away the defensive work... he continues to be first man back on many rushes... I don't think his line was notably pinned that game either... and then you consider who he was playing against.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I know it's grasping for straws at this point, but I like seeing Virtanen throw his weight around. At this point "you gotta dance with the girl that brung' ya". Please let him become a slightly better Raffi Torress...sad but true.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I know it's grasping for straws at this point, but I like seeing Virtanen throw his weight around. At this point "you gotta dance with the girl that brung' ya". Please let him become a slightly better Raffi Torress...sad but true.
41 point pace so far and is getting better every season. Lets support our guy without the DOWNGRADING insults. He didnt do anything wrong getting drafted 6th overall, but dammit hes sure working hard to make that pick look as not bad as possible. Hes going in the right direction, maybe not fast enough - its true its true - so lets keep up the support for OUR young guy who will be useful for us when the going gets tough in the playoffs when our team can finally push for that spot. He will be SUPER useful at that point I believe tho is just speculation at this point

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
A 'slightly better Raffi Torres' would be a hell of a player.

Don't think he reaches that.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I appreciate the love for Raffi too, Virtanen is still very much bust material, kind of half praying here.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Because Troy is good in a way that excites no casual fan.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
41 point pace so far and is getting better every season. Lets support our guy without the DOWNGRADING insults. He didnt do anything wrong getting drafted 6th overall, but dammit hes sure working hard to make that pick look as not bad as possible. Hes going in the right direction, maybe not fast enough - its true its true - so lets keep up the support for OUR young guy who will be useful for us when the going gets tough in the playoffs when our team can finally push for that spot. He will be SUPER useful at that point I believe tho is just speculation at this point

2 of those were empty net points.

How do you know if he is working hard?

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Raffi scored 20 goals twice including a 27 goal season. He also scored 19 in 60 games one year.

JV will never be that good.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Raffi scored 20 goals twice including a 27 goal season. He also scored 19 in 60 games one year.

JV will never be that good.
Isn't he's on pace for 20 goals this season and 30 the next, right?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
You get empty net points for working your ass off ànd playing good hockey!

True. However that user said he was on pace to get 41 points. That is true as well but if half of his points are empty net points. Then the on pace point argument wouldn't make any sense. There is no way he will end up 20 empty net points. Most teams probably don't even 20 empty goals the whole season

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Have been impressed with Virtanen, he’s beginning to play a solid 200 ft game and has been used late in games to protect leads. He still makes mistakes but they have decreased each season he’s been here which is a great sign. He is slowly getting better.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A long way to go before hitting Raffi Torres level but there’s no question he’s taken another step this year. His defensive play has been very impressive except for a few miscues. I think he’s finally found a role for himself and can now start to be more comfortable as a physical shutdown type player who contributes occasionally offensively.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He seems to be hitting more this season then i remember and his hitting ISNT taking him out of position

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He looks really bad. At one point it was hoped he could be a David Booth type winger. Now that even seems like a dream. The problem is that he is dumb as bricks and will never be a good defensive player, so if he isn't shooting and hitting lots, he's a pretty worthless player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad