Rumor: Jake Virtanen Trade Rumor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It's cleat that Virtanen has negative value given his production this year and the contract Benning signed him to, so might as well just keep him and see what a new coach/GM can get out of him/for him next season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
to be honest Virtanen looks defeated out there. He wanders around until over a few game sthe pressure builds up. Then he has a few good shifts in a game and he's right back to wandering around. 11, 18, and 21 goal 82 game paces over the last 3 seasons. This is the year he should have turned in a 20/40 overall for the first time. And he's sitting at 1 point in 19. I think in his own mind he's just done here.

Maybe he's struggling because he doesn't get to hang out with his crew (aka the worst crew ever?).

Reactions: iceburg

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Jim! You're cut off! I'm sick of all this money going to the bottom of the lineup plogs.

C'mon, Franny, you gotta give me a little, I got a roster to fill out here. Come on babe, just a little, for old time's sake?

Fine...okay...I'll give you a little bit of cash to fill out the roster.

CUT TO:

Jim Benning backing up a Brinks truck to Holtby and Virtanen

jftam

Jun 28, 2013
Dejavu with the Baertschi contract. But hey, Jimbo only gave out 2 years this time instead of 3 so he's learning!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo it’s best to keep Jake, but get the guy to play at 210. And get him actually fit for once in his life.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's cool that our GM decided to create a salary structure that would nuke his value if he somehow regressed from his 18 goal 12% shooting career high season then.
Seems like a lot of player pushed cash to next season. The cap hit is within the range based on similar signings. Structure is not ideal for a trade unless it’s to a team with cash.

seems like an escrow thing from maybe as players hoping that fans are back in seats thus reducing lost salary next season.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Jake looks so lost out there. I'd rather trade him for a pick and let some other players try for a roster spot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jake looks so lost out there. I'd rather trade him for a pick and let some other players try for a roster spot.
Another consideration is the ED. Would you protect him? Would Seattle claim him with $3.7 mill in cash going out? What would his value be in the off season post ED?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just needs a few solid offseasons of training and should be allright, you guys need to be more patient, he could finally turn into that powerforward we need. Just need to be patient, if he cant get it going by the 2026-27 season i may be open to moving on from Jake

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Another consideration is the ED. Would you protect him? Would Seattle claim him with $3.7 mill in cash going out? What would his value be in the off season post ED?
I definitely wouldn't protect Virtanen. If Seattle is taking Virtanen I think that's a win for us. He has way too many problems to fix. He has size and speed both of which he doesn't use. His shot is quite honestly bad because he can't process the game fast enough to find open space. Defensively he looks clueless.

Reactions: Red and MarkMM

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Keep him.

Expose him.

If he makes it through hire a full time personal chef and smother to make sure he’s in shape.

Trade his ass next year at TDL.

Just another Benning special.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
He would be a great top6 winger if he’s got more than 2 brain cells.

Dude don’t even know how lucky and gifted he is, just plays lazy most of the time.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's cool that our GM decided to create a salary structure that would nuke his value if he somehow regressed from his 18 goal 12% shooting career high season then.
Virtually every player that signed a new contract this off-season insisted it be backloaded to avoid this season’s escrow. This has been pointed out many, many times.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yea it could be just him being lazy, but at the same time it seems to me he wasnt directed enough to become a role player after being a top 6 didnt pan out.

The level of coaching he really needs is just motivation. Kicking his ass 24/7.

He isnt smart enough to change his game completely, all he needs to do is finish his checks and drive to the net when he has the puck. He refuses to do these things. I really dont blame the coach on this one. If anything I blame Benning for pushing him in to the NHL too early.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Virtually every player that signed a new contract this off-season insisted it be backloaded to avoid this season’s escrow. This has been pointed out many, many times.

True, you can't really fault the GM for backloading as it benefitted the player & the owner who probably doesn't mind delaying the $ going out.

You can blame him for giving a 2 year contract to a guy who doesn't appear to be wanted by the coach, though. It just bothers me that they would take on the extra risk with both Virtanen & Holtby.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The level of coaching he really needs is just motivation. Kicking his ass 24/7.

He isnt smart enough to change his game completely, all he needs to do is finish his checks and drive to the net when he has the puck. He refuses to do these things. I really dont blame the coach on this one. If anything I blame Benning for pushing him in to the NHL too early.
Exactly! Jake’s issues are his weight and fitness. He’s playing with an extra 15 to 20 pounds. He needs off ice (as you say, ass-kicking) support. Jake is a dough head, who doesn’t know anything about diet, training, and professional commitment.
Imo, in these ways he lacks strength of character. It’s ironic Benning, who preaches drafting for character, has as his first pick ever for us Jake.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He had one of his better games last night in that he tried to play within a system rather than mindlessly freelancing. Still some mistakes, but at least you could see the intent and the willingness to play simply. This is not to say that he's any good or that we should hold onto him for hockey reasons. But given his net-negative value and our rapidly diminishing chances of a playoff spot, might as well play him and see if he has any takers for a positive asset in the offseason. Then, he might have some appeal as a top6 F flyer for teams that missed out in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad