Rumor: Jake Virtanen Trade Rumor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Once this trade is done, I believe we’ll be even worse. The best case is for Green to give Virtanen a shot, let him make mistakes without having to worry about being benched or put in the press box, play him on the left side. He gave us a good look at what we can expect from him last season, we can use that player in our top 9... we actually need that player in our top 9!!

Virtanen was mismanaged from the start with Benning pumping him up right after he was drafted, then rushing him in, then telling him to put on a bunch of weight then no you need to lose a bunch of weight, we want you to learn the right side, play like this not like that.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Chances this trade is a success is about 10% imo so I'm just hoping for something or someone not worthless. Should be a pick and/or prospect, but we know it'll be a sideways failing bottom 6er.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don’t understand why people think this player is being held back by a coach. He’s a dumb player who just doesn’t think the game quick enough and doesn’t have the drive to turn himself into an effective player.

$2.55m in cap space is worth more than the a 5 or 6 game stretch once a season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Chances this trade is a success is about 10% imo so I'm just hoping for something or someone not worthless. Should be a pick and/or prospect, but we know it'll be a sideways failing bottom 6er.

Having his bloated contract off the books next year has value. Imho

If we get some long term asset back, great.

Reactions: m9

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The fact that Benning chose not to qualify Stecher but qualified Virtanen tells you all you need to know.

I simply can't fathom why people are expecting things to be different in his D+7 year. It ain't gonna happen. Or, at the very least, you shouldn't pin your hopes on a unicorn suddenly appearing out of the blue.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mentioned this in the last GDT, but I swear he must have the shortest average shift length on the team.

Sometimes I see him ending his shift like 20 seconds into it even when his linemates get control of the puck and are trying to create a scoring chance off the rush(which should be Jake’s bread and butter).

I don’t think he enjoys playing for Green at all, either that or he just doesn’t enjoy playing NHL hockey period. When a dude is passing up on chances to potentially score then there’s clearly an issue.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I mentioned this in the last GDT, but I swear he must have the shortest average shift length on the team.

Sometimes I see him ending his shift like 20 seconds into it even when his linemates get control of the puck and are trying to create a scoring chance off the rush(which should be Jake’s bread and butter).

I don’t think he enjoys playing for Green at all, either that or he just doesn’t enjoy playing NHL hockey period. When a dude is passing up on chances to potentially score then there’s clearly an issue.

Nailed it, he’s mentally checked out. JV18 has been inconsistent throughout his career, but people are kidding themselves if they think his current level of play is all he is as a player.

Not to throw a pity party, but I do think his development could have been handled better by the organization.

It seems the discrepancies between who Benning wants on the roster, and who TG is willing to play.On the one hand I get that game to game the coach will play who he trusts, but over a longer term horizon there should be a plan to get player from point A to point B.

Obviously a players success will come down to themselves, but it’s not the only factor. Aside from Jake, I similarly think Gaudettes development hasn’t been great. I do wonder if Juolevi will be in a similar camp where he isn’t getting the minutes or playing in the situations he needs to take a step forward.

Good development is a hallmark of great organizations. There are prospects that are too talented not to become NHLers, those don’t fall into this category. It’s the prospects that are talented but maybe not surefire NHLers, whether they can transition effectively is based in different factors including their organizations plan for them.

I don’t think the Bennings’ Canucks have been great at that so far. Demko might be the only one that comes to mind as a player drafted and developed more suitably over time to reach their potential. Rathbone looks promising, I’d love to be proven wrong on the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think there is a risk of overcoaching with players like Virtanen. Like, the thing is there is a limit to what you can really teach him. I think you want to give him a basic framework on how to play within your system, and then let him play. When I watch Virtanen play, it seems like a player who just doesn't want to make mistakes. It's unfortunate because he's not a good enough player to not make mistakes, so he makes them anyway.

It's like trying to turn him into a thinking player but instead his system just hangs and you get nothing. Throw some hits even if you'll take a stupid penalty from time to time, skate the puck up the ice even if from time to time you'll lose it.

His talent has nothing to do with what's between his ears, his talent is just raw physical ability and he will never be able to think the game fast enough to change that, so he needs to be allowed to just *play*. He needs to find his own limits through trial and error, he is not the type of player that can be told specifically when he can and can't make plays, outside of a few simple rules.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He went from a grinding role with Beagle on the 4th line to getting boosted with Horvat and other trade bait winger Tanner Pearson. Travis Green must have gotten the call from Jim to showcase the 2 wingers because he wants those spots reserved for Hoglander and Podkolzin.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He went from a grinding role with Beagle on the 4th line to getting boosted with Horvat and other trade bait winger Tanner Pearson. Travis Green must have gotten the call from Jim to showcase the 2 wingers because he wants those spots reserved for Hoglander and Podkolzin.

I can totally see this being the case. It's so amateurish that Benning would need to fully go through the process of negotiation before he realizes (probably explicitly told by Murray) that he needs to inflate JV's value through deployment. And with all of the media attention this saga has attracted, there's no way that any GM would fall for it anyhow.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don’t understand why people think this player is being held back by a coach. He’s a dumb player who just doesn’t think the game quick enough and doesn’t have the drive to turn himself into an effective player.

$2.55m in cap space is worth more than the a 5 or 6 game stretch once a season.

that dumb player scored 18 goals in 69 games without much PP time well playing in the bottom 6. We could use more dumb players in our bottom 6.

Reactions: sting101

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
that dumb player scored 18 goals in 69 games without much PP time well playing in the bottom 6. We could use more dumb players in our bottom 6.

Brief glimpses of being competent in 6 seasons, while being a 6th overall pick. Wow, congrats. Stud.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I

People are gonna hang on to the 18 goals until the end of time. Reminds me of the Heatley parody 50 in 07' except it's 18 in 20' or 19' whatever it was

Why don't we sign Brandon Pirri?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
People are gonna hang on to the 18 goals until the end of time. Reminds me of the Heatley parody 50 in 07' except it's 18 in 20' or 19' whatever it was

Why don't we sign Brandon Pirri?

well it was just last season he did that :laugh: I never trust the opinions of someone who has a bias either way, many here hate Virtanen and will belittle the season he had last year... those are the people who are blinded by hate and whose opinion are meaningless to me.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
well it was just last season he did that :laugh: I never trust the opinions of someone who has a bias either way, many here hate Virtanen and will belittle the season he had last year... those are the people who are blinded by hate and whose opinion are meaningless.
I have no problem with Virtanen. Seems you have one with me.

You don’t think context is important when viewing his last season? Goals are goals but there was definitely some lucky in there as evidenced by a shooting% spike.

He’s got 6 goals and 3 assists in 55 games since February 1st last year.

...but 18 goals is what Jake will be telling cougars at the bar in a few years.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Could we get Madden back for him?

Madden 10 GP - 3A /21yrs-old /3rd round (#68) Highly skilled offensive player with great active mobility and hockey sense.

Will Lockwood 7 GP - 2A /22 yrs-old /3rd round (#64) Hard nosed 2-way winger.

In a very limited window Lockwood seems to be paying up to his description better than Madden. Would certainly like to see them working together in Utica than what the Canucks have in return for trading him away - 17 GP and goodbye. Hoorible trade when you look mhow Benninmg managed it. This guy just can't let any prospect that can't make the Canucks right out of the draft develop in the system. They become trade bait or are simply ignored as he moves on to the next new toy.

Who knows about this AHL season. Shortened to 32 games and quote unquote "a development year, maybe something will be different. Rathbone, Lockwood, Woo are 3 of the best prospects to end up in Utica while Jasek and Lind are on their last legs as "Top" prospects. so we'll see.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there anyone left in this market who truly believes that Jethro can trade Virtanen and get anything of even 'equal value' back? Francesco needs to take the keys away for the Ferrari until he decides what he's doing with entire front office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad