Rumor: Jake Virtanen Trade Rumor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'spin' emanating from the Canucks front office--and echoed by house radio at the beginning of the season is that Virtanen was being given a serious shot at a top-six role on this hockey club, and that's one of the reasons they let Tofoli walk.

Trouble is Virtanen never was a top-six forward, and never will be. This team apparently isn't capable of even evaluating their own players.....doesn't give you much confidence they'll be able to identify a solid player in another organization.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
What in his game changed last year from previous years?

What did he do different, apart from having the puck enter the net when he shot his wrister from low to medium scoring areas?

He didn't increase his shot volume.
He didn't drive the net.
He still couldn't defend.
He still couldn't cycle the puck.
He still couldn't get open to be set up for a shot.
He had less take aways and hits and more giveaways than the year previous.

Sorry. I am just frustrated with the talk how he (yet again) had turned a corner last year.

It was a mirage. We should have cashed out via trade last summer. Instead we are now looking to get rid of his bloated contract.

You can continuously trot out any "toolsy" player with good shooting and skating ability and he will eventually bounce a couple in, go on a point run here and there but at the end of the day he isn't helping the team at all because he can't "turn it on" when it actually matters, he actually does the opposite of that. He's not cut out to be a good pro hockey player, he's the exact same player he was 4 years ago the only difference is coincidently cashing in on similar opportunities that he's always been given.

It's quite humiliating watching all of this unfold right in front of our very eyes, these are supposed to be professional businessmen and they are handing out millions of dollars like hot-cakes. Christ, Aquabenni could solve world hunger with this type of cash.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
JAKE definitely has some of Krutov’s love of burgers and beer in him. HEs got the chipmunk cheeks too. REALLY FILLS out a helmut.

Sounds like Jake to me!

His coach, Bob McCammon, said Krutov could not discipline himself. “His usual routine was to stop at a 7-Eleven store and order two hot dogs, a bag of chips and a soft drink,” he was widely quoted as saying. “After practice, he would return for a second order.”

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like Jake to me!

His coach, Bob McCammon, said Krutov could not discipline himself. “His usual routine was to stop at a 7-Eleven store and order two hot dogs, a bag of chips and a soft drink,” he was widely quoted as saying. “After practice, he would return for a second order.”
JAkes seems like a genuinely really nice young guy, and would likely be fun at a barbecue.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
You know what amazes me about this? The bald-faced openness about this trade. I don't recall ever seeing a trade discussed so publicly with parties named. Maybe Jake and his agent are perfectly fine with this being public. Maybe they welcome it. Does Heinan?

I would feel a bit weird if I were a player going into tomorrow night's game knowing that I and all of my teammates know that I'm openly being shopped, or even worse, that I'm being shopped but it doesn't happen, for whatever reason. Weird.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You know what amazes me about this? The bald-faced openness about this trade. I don't recall ever seeing a trade discussed so publicly with parties named. Maybe Jake and his agent are perfectly fine with this being public. Maybe they welcome it. Does Heinan?

I would feel a bit weird if I were a player going into tomorrow night's game knowing that I and all of my teammates know that I'm openly being shopped, or even worse, that I'm being shopped but it doesn't happen, for whatever reason. Weird.

you realize this “trade” could have been nothing at all.... or a 30 second feeler phone call. “A source close to Heinan”... you think the GM tells the player “I’m currently negotiating this trade to get you out of here and bring in so and so. I’ll let you know how it goes”.

this seems like it was a conversation between GMs at best and then like usual every reporter is trying to outscoop the next.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
you realize this “trade” could have been nothing at all.... or a 30 second feeler phone call. “A source close to Heinan”... you think the GM tells the player “I’m currently negotiating this trade to get you out of here and bring in so and so. I’ll let you know how it goes”.

this seems like it was a conversation between GMs at best and then like usual every reporter is trying to outscoop the next.
if a trade gets leaked to the press to the degree that the Jake for Heinen trade has been, there's some party (either VAN or ANH) who is talking to people. I'm almost 100% sure that it's Bob Murray and the Ducks, solely based on my belief that Benning has had all communication lines severed since his Ben Kuzma quotes. On top of that, it's clear that Aqua has curtailed any spending whatsoever; Benning knows his days are numbered and I wouldn't be surprised to see him reach out to his Old Boys Club contacts as soon as possible to begin searching for another job

Reactions: m9

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
The problem with Jake Virtanen is between the ears and can't be fixed. This has been evident for his entire time in a Canucks uniform. He has been the exact same player and has never changed his game since game 1.

This organization needs to bring in a team of smart people who can analyze advanced stats so we understand when a player like Virtanen should be moved for max value. In hindsight that was 2 years ago when he was on a goal streak and before increasing his contract value.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Imagine how stupid JV18 has to be to not figure out how to make himself expendable. Vancouver fans in general are more homer than they are logical. He could put up 10 goals and 15 assists a year but every 3rd game destroy someone with a body check, every 10th game drop the gloves, or every couple games get under opponents skin. Maybe stay out after practise late once a month. You know that extra 15 minutes of shooting pucks will get 10 articles written about you. “Local kid putting in extra work” blah blah. Once he smoked McDavid and we didn’t care if he did nothing else that month. We gut shutout but Edmonton for our billionth loss in a row last game and we were still talking about the “hit that Hoglander threw”.

it’s not hard to fool the common fan.... he’s just that dumb.

polloqpiu

May 20, 2018
Even the stupidest player could become a physical 4th liner. Jake could follow kassian's arc (not being a fighter as he sucks at it but being physical). He needed direction from the coach and the team but it seems he never got any. Ultimately its on him to have wasted his physical tools but it's on the team not having taken out of him at least something.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Hot (and probably very unpopular) take:

Jake Virtanen with consistent top 6 ice time and PP time (not just 20 seconds of garbage time on a PP2 that never plays) is a confident, top 6 producing forward. Albeit, not a game changer and likely frustrating beyond belief at times.

Forget his draft position, forget the past, actually give him a chance to play here and at worst we raise his trade value from zero.

Maybe even give him a chance to play a professional Hockey game for a coach other than Travis Green (he probably has Green nightmares at this point) before casting him off for a horrific return.

Reactions: 604

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Even the stupidest player could become a physical 4th liner. Jake could follow kassian's arc (not being a fighter as he sucks at it but being physical). He needed direction from the coach and the team but it seems he never got any. Ultimately its on him to have wasted his physical tools but it's on the team not having taken out of him at least something.

Based on what?

Reactions: polloqpiu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad