Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
virtanen for honka

It's funny that you say this, it's been on my mind ever since this morning when I read Honka wants out. I'd probably do that trade.

I think there's a reason why Virtanen is nicknamed "shotgun Jake", and it has nothing to do with a rifle. I'm very disappointed to hear that he's out of shape again, it's like he virtually doesn't have any hockey sense at all, on or off of the ice.
Here you have Pettersson who went out and worked on his weaknesses, Looks like he gained 10 pounds of muscle. While Virtanen continues to look like he is all about the partying.

Hopefully this kid can get his head out of his ass soon. He is looking like nothing but a disappointment.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
virtanen for honka
Eww. Honka hasn't shown anything.
Jake has a floor of a 3rd line defensive eraser.

We know nothing of what his shortcoming was... I would guess cardio related.
But if what Jake says is true and that he didn't miss the mark by much, then I'm not concerned.
I'm expecting Beast mode Jake this yr

But it's a media buzz story.. they got Brock and Virtanen now to create clicks.

member 290103

Not sure what the point is of moving Virtanen for shitty players like Honka or Puljujarvi. Virtanen is not a top 6 star, but he's a decent bottom 6 player and is only making 875K. He's an NHL player......these others people are proposing to dump him off for (there's a thread on the MB for Puljujarvi) don't make any sense.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Still have my tweet begging Benning not to pick Virtanen, but to pick Nylander or Ehlers instead (I wasn’t a fan of Ritchie).

Feels good to re-tweet it now and know that even random fans like me had more brains than Benning did.

Virtanen was a bad pick at the time. People cried “wait and see.”

We did wait. And we see.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Eww. Honka hasn't shown anything.
Jake has a floor of a 3rd line defensive eraser.

We know nothing of what his shortcoming was... I would guess cardio related.
But if what Jake says is true and that he didn't miss the mark by much, then I'm not concerned.
I'm expecting Beast mode Jake this yr

But it's a media buzz story.. they got Brock and Virtanen now to create clicks.

Yea, without knowing more, this sounds overblown. It could just as easily be a target Jake has never hit before that he was trying to get to, and he's still in better shape then before.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
His career with the Canucks is coming to an end. It's almost at that point where both parties are ready for a fresh start. Looks like a terrible pick for Van at that position.

Not only does it look like a terrible pick, it IS a terrible pick for us at 6th overall.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So he's fat again

nice.

He actually looked leaner.

It's disappointing to hear about Virtanen's lack of conditioning but honestly I think that some players are never going to have the best conditioning. I do understand that there is a certain threshold that all players should achieve and it looks like Virtanen wasn't quite there.

Let's face it, Virtanen doesn't have a high motor. He's not a buzzsaw flying around and throwing big hits. He does have elite straight ahead speed and he has shown that he's far from a defensive liability. If you want him to be flying out there and hitting everything that moves then ya you need great conditioning for that. But that's not his game. We all know that he's capable of taking away the puck and transitioning it. I don't think there was a moment last year where I thought that if only he had betting conditioning he would be a better player (except for the fact that I wish he played more of the physical game that he played when we first saw him).

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just wow. I remember thinking he could be a Scott Hartnell type player.

I know you guys do not like outsiders sometimes.

But I have to ask what is his problem or what is he not getting? He has the tools but no tool case?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

But I have to ask what is his problem or what is he not getting? He has the tools but no tool case?

Low IQ is his biggest issue. So basically yeah all the tools, no toolbox.

Reactions: geebaan

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
JV had it easy growing up which explains his obvious lack of commitment to the game. Know one of his junior teammates who loathed him because of it. All of his coaches were enamoured by his straight ahead speed and would ignore the glaring issues with his incomplete game.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It's funny that you say this, it's been on my mind ever since this morning when I read Honka wants out. I'd probably do that trade.

I think there's a reason why Virtanen is nicknamed "shotgun Jake", and it has nothing to do with a rifle. I'm very disappointed to hear that he's out of shape again, it's like he virtually doesn't have any hockey sense at all, on or off of the ice.
Here you have Pettersson who went out and worked on his weaknesses, Looks like he gained 10 pounds of muscle. While Virtanen continues to look like he is all about the partying.

Hopefully this kid can get his head out of his ass soon. He is looking like nothing but a disappointment.

Lol. The kings won a couple of cups with a few of their players liquored up and coked out on many nights, let Jake have his offseason beers.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I don't get why the Canucks don't have a full time team with Jake during the summer to make sure he can be what he can be.

I'm not talking about training, i'm talking about a 2 man team, that shadows Jake all day, every day.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I don't get why the Canucks don't have a full time team with Jake during the summer to make sure he can be what he can be.

I'm not talking about training, i'm talking about a 2 man team, that shadows Jake all day, every day.

Are you being serious?

This dude deserves a life no one should be shadowed 24/7.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
JV had it easy growing up which explains his obvious lack of commitment to the game. Know one of his junior teammates who loathed him because of it. All of his coaches were enamoured by his straight ahead speed and would ignore the glaring issues with his incomplete game.

Heard this one before. Someone knows someone who went to the same high school as him and supposedly he was a jerk who thinks he was all that. JV also hung out with Justin Bieber. The junior teammate you know is doing what? Still in hockey? I don't mean to be mean but I think the guy you know is just jealous and ya JV had it easy coming up from juniors. Life isn't always fair.

Some players enjoy activities that helps with conditioning that has very little to do with hockey. For example, Trevor Linden would be in great shape because he enjoys biking even if he's not playing hockey. David Booth enjoys working out at the gym and doesn't actually do the most hockey related training in the off season. JV? He likes to fish?

At the end of the day, if conditioning is holding JV back then that's a problem. If it isn't, I don't really care all that much. Sure being in the best shape helps with on ice performance but at the end of the day it's performance on the ice that counts. I don't care if a player has a bulging belly and consuming massive number of hot dogs a year if he's a good player and is worth what the team pays him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
. The junior teammate you know is doing what? Still in hockey? I don't mean to be mean but I think the guy you know is just jealous and ya JV had it easy coming up from juniors. Life isn't always fair.

Favoritism and nepotism is a thing in hockey you know? I saw it in soccer growing up where the guy with the most vocal father would get more field time even though the same guy would goof off in practice. He could curve a shot well but he flat out suck in the run of play. Also seen similar stuff go down in juniors. Not taking anything away from JV. His shot is decent and his skating elite but his lack of commitment to better his conditioning is not new...

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
He'll never justify his being taken 6th overall, though he can still be a useful depth piece. The people comparing him to Raffi Torres are only looking more and more correct as time goes by.

He's just a striking example of why Benning isn't even the draft savant who "sees things others don't" that he was claimed to be. He wears this blunder of a pick through and through.

However, for someone who was touted as a potential fan favourite due to being the local boy, JV sure isn't making it any easier for people to like him with this latest news. So you can't even say he's got the popularity factor going for him. :facepalm:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

We welcome outsiders, see what our boards have to offer.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Are you being serious?

This dude deserves a life no one should be shadowed 24/7.

I'm dead serious, had someone been there for Jake, maybe he wouldn't have opened camp on the third group.

If Jake was serious about his career, he wouldn't need it.

But it looks like it's too late.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Play him with petey all season. Then trade him at the deadline. Petey will goose up his stats. This guy has been given lots of rope right now he just doesnt seem professional.
I want the guy to succeed but hes been a large dissapointment so far, lets inflate his stats then move on.

Reactions: Nevins

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Play him with petey all season. Then trade him at the deadline. Petey will goose up his stats. This guy has been given lots of rope right now he just doesnt seem professional.
I want the guy to succeed but hes been a large dissapointment so far, lets inflate his stats then move on.

The only person dumb enough to pay a decent price for him just because he put up inflated stats playing with Pettersson happens to be employed as our own General Manager.

Upon seeing these inflated stats, he'd trip over his own feet trying to overpay him on a long term extension.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad