Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I've been tough on Virtanen, and I know it's just a preseason game, but I think he just showed his highest NHL I.Q. moment on that OT winner. Looking pass the whole way, shows poise as the defender slides by, then snipes the top corner. More of that please.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever criticisms you can offer up for Virtanen, one thing is undeniable. This kid might be one of the most powerful, dynamic skaters in the NHL. He's 'Connor McDavid lite' on the blades. Just too bad he doesn't have the hockey sense to match his feet.

But if all he did was take a d-man wide and drive the net, he'd be a very effective player.And if he passes off the puck and then drives the net, he'll drive d-men to distraction. And I suspect he'd get a lot more garbage goals from in tight.

But you can easily see why the Canucks haven't given up on him yet.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don’t know why you would give up on Virtanen, as is he’s already a very good 3rd liner, when he’s on his game he’s very tough to play against. He still has room to grow but even with where his game is at right now, he’s a valuable player.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's like Grabner... flash offense.

Now i want to see him on the PK this preseason.. He could not be any worse than the passive groups we had in Victoria last night... bleaaaahhh..

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Whatever criticisms you can offer up for Virtanen, one thing is undeniable. This kid might be one of the most powerful, dynamic skaters in the NHL. He's 'Connor McDavid lite' on the blades. Just too bad he doesn't have the hockey sense to match his feet.

But if all he did was take a d-man wide and drive the net, he'd be a very effective player.And if he passes off the puck and then drives the net, he'll drive d-men to distraction. And I suspect he'd get a lot more garbage goals from in tight.

But you can easily see why the Canucks haven't given up on him yet.
He needs to watch TJ Miller play. It's the type of player that he could develop into more or less.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Grabner has been doing PK duty for the past number of seasons. Him and Neilson formed an effective combo for the Isles PK a while back. He's kind of a seasoned vet with respect to the PK.

Might be a good idea to give Jake a shot on the PK.
100% my thinking.. I picture Jake releasing on 50-50 pucks and getting a breakaway a game shorthanded like Grabner used to..

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
100% my thinking.. I picture Jake releasing on 50-50 pucks and getting a breakaway a game shorthanded like Grabner used to..
Oilers seemed to have done that with Kassian as well (might be a better comparable to Jake rather than Grabner) where they gave him PK duty (and seemed to have handled that role decently). Bigger/solid body with speed is an imposing figure.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
he's never gonna improve. needs a change of scenary
I agree he's not likely to improve much, but why trade him? For what he's going to fetch on the trade market we might as well hang on to him. Why not just forget about his draft status and let him be a homegrown third liner. He's a likable enough kid and when he heats up, get ready to pound some beers. It'll be fun ;)

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I agree he's not likely to improve much, but why trade him? For what he's going to fetch on the trade market we might as well hang on to him. Why not just forget about his draft status and let him be a homegrown third liner. He's a likable enough kid and when he heats up, get ready to pound some beers. It'll be fun ;)
I agree with this sentiment

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yeah I guess this makes the most sense. Mega Man brings the realistic take even if is hard to swallow sometimes

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Ferland signed for three years and Podkolzin in the pipeline, I just don't see where Virtanen fits long-term. More likely he's dealt than ever becoming a fixture with the Canucks.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
With Ferland signed for three years and Podkolzin in the pipeline, I just don't see where Virtanen fits long-term. More likely he's dealt than ever becoming a fixture with the Canucks.
But Cam Neely?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I think there has got to be room for a player like Virtanen in our lineup? Why not? Lots of dead weight to dump before trading Virtanen for very little.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I think there has got to be room for a player like Virtanen in our lineup? Why not? Lots of dead weight to dump before trading Virtanen for very little.

With a healthy roster, he's just barely holding down one of the last 2 wing positions IMO.

Miller Boeser
Ferland Pearson
Roussel Baertschi
Leivo Virtanen

But if Gaudette makes this team, is Jake even a starting lineup player when healthy? Assuming one of Sutter/Gaudette slide to the wing, Virtanen could end up fighting Leivo for a job. And that's assuming Loui Eriksson isn't on the team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad