Value of: Jake Virtanen and Thatcher Demko

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Mittelstadt for Virtanen+Sutter?
Sutter’s a Western Canadian boy, right? Idk if he’d waive his NMC for Buffalo. He’s a solid defensive centerman though to go on a line like that. And I think Virtanen would fit very well with Eichel.

but I think I’d consider it

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What's the price for Carolina? I like both of them.

Both will be high.

I'd want Eriksson gone, and then a prospect of some note and renound back.

I value them both at a 1st or B+ prospect (an A prospect being an absolute bluechip prospect to me). Virtanen already has a season at a 20 goal, 40 point pace (shortened only due to Covid) and Demko was once rated as the best goalie prospect not in the NHL, and is only available due to the expansion draft and Markstrom being lights out the last two seasons. He is still looking like he will be a starter, even if it's not here.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sutter’s a Western Canadian boy, right? Idk if he’d waive his NMC for Buffalo. He’s a solid defensive centerman though to go on a line like that. And I think Virtanen would fit very well with Eichel.

I agree on both points. Virtanen and Eichel could be a force. Sutter is looking at a reduced role, more and more, with this team. He was also born in New York, and grew up there and in Chicago. He's played in Carolina and Pittsburgh, and ancestral home is a province over...it's not just a 20 minute car ride. He's not exactly in the community he grew up in either, the Lower Mainland of BC and Alberta are different communities. If that was too long, he has been around, and I don't see him linked to Vancouver as anything more then his current team.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I agree on both points. Virtanen and Eichel could be a force. Sutter is looking at a reduced role, more and more, with this team. He was also born in New York, and grew up there and in Chicago. He's played in Carolina and Pittsburgh, and ancestral home is a province over...it's not just a 20 minute car ride. He's not exactly in the community he grew up in either, the Lower Mainland of BC and Alberta are different communities. If that was too long, he has been around, and I don't see him linked to Vancouver as anything more then his current team.

Ok. Didn’t realize he was born in NY state. That could be a draw. And an increased role could also draw him to Buffalo.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ok. Didn’t realize he was born in NY state. That could be a draw. And an increased role could also draw him to Buffalo.

He has been slipping in his role here since Benning called him "foundational". From placeholder second liner, to third line center, to third line winger, to sometimes fourth line winger. When he was our third line center while Gaudette was out, he looked fine there, I think he needs to play center, and we simply don't have room here for that.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Both will be high.

I'd want Eriksson gone, and then a prospect of some note and renound back.

I value them both at a 1st or B+ prospect (an A prospect being an absolute bluechip prospect to me). Virtanen already has a season at a 20 goal, 40 point pace (shortened only due to Covid) and Demko was once rated as the best goalie prospect not in the NHL, and is only available due to the expansion draft and Markstrom being lights out the last two seasons. He is still looking like he will be a starter, even if it's not here.

The problem for Carolina is we can't really take the cap dump...it's probably a full purchase price situation.

It's worth it to pay the price though if it fills both our long-term goalie hole and gets us a RW to play close-in to the net with Aho and TT.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The problem for Carolina is we can't really take the cap dump...it's probably a full purchase price situation.

It's worth it to pay the price though if it fills both our long-term goalie hole and gets us a RW to play close-in to the net with Aho and TT.

I would be looking for a first or equivalent prospect for each then. One is RFA and had a comparable player traded for that, the other signed for another year at just over a million and is then still RFA.

Cap is the only reason either don't have a place on this team, and is still the number one motivator, so if someone takes Eriksson, for example, in a deal for them, that move gets priority.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
That's hard to say. I'm seeing Jake as a cap dump here.
Back up goalies hold little value usually.
TB's 1st?

I mean that's a start. Virtanen is definitely not a cap dump in our eyes though (his QO is less than 1.5). Consistency is a hurdle right now, but even inconsistent Virtanen scored 18-18-36 in a covid shortened season. This is after years of positive and steady progression after being rushed into the league too early.

If he's not viewed as a positive asset, or worse yet as as a negative asset bringing Demkos value down, they can be dealt separately. I think the hope of bundling them together is to dump Erikssons and maybe some other salary though.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I mean that's a start. Virtanen is definitely not a cap dump in our eyes though (his QO is less than 1.5). Consistency is a hurdle right now, but even inconsistent Virtanen scored 18-18-36 in a covid shortened season. This is after years of positive and steady progression after being rushed into the league too early.

If he's not viewed as a positive asset, or worse yet as as a negative asset bringing Demkos value down, they can be dealt separately. I think the hope of bundling them together is to dump Erikssons and maybe some other salary though.
It's not easy finding a deal that works around here for Shark fans. We don't have a lot of assets we can move. We also don't have a lot of cap room without some going back.
Pretty much why I didn't make an offer initially

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's not easy finding a deal that works around here for Shark fans. We don't have a lot of assets we can move. We also don't have a lot of cap room without some going back.
Pretty much why I didn't make an offer initially

Hey fair enough. If we can lower the stakes to just Demko, I am still interested in a first. I'd be looking to use him as a sweetener first and foremost though.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I’d really want Demko in Edmonton. Virtanen you can keep.
Be almost like when Schneider almost went there (well before his injuries in NJ dereailed his career), I remember hearing those rumors and thinking "oh god are we going to have to play against this guy 6 times a bloody year, FML!" and even with the rumored offer being better at the time than what NJ was offering.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Benning created cap hell fir the Canucks. Jake and Demko must be moved to dump two of: Loui, Baer, and Sutter.
Why do we have to dump Baer and Sutter? Its Loui and Beagle and Roussell that need dumping, both Baer and Sutter are off the books after this season when we actually need cap space for the kids so thats not an issue, we can ride those contracts out this upcoming season just fine.

Reactions: 604
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I’d really want Demko in Edmonton. Virtanen you can keep.
Probably less together and more in different trades. As said in this thread, Edmonton would be interested in Demko, but not Virtanen. Conversely, the NYR would be interested in Virtanen, but not Demko.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why do we have to dump Baer and Sutter? Its Loui and Beagle and Roussell that need dumping, both Baer and Sutter are off the books after this season when we actually need cap space for the kids so thats not an issue, we can ride those contracts out this upcoming season just fine.
The cost of dumping longer term than one year will be far more than Jake or Demko. Dumping Loui is being evenly hopeful on my part. Sutter and Baer will clear 9 million.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Read this before commenting on Jake Virtanen because there’s already been a ton of incorrect takes: The Breakout Season of Vancouver Canucks Winger Jake Virtanen
You know what this doesn't highlight? His long stretches of nothing. I'd have a hard time giving up a 15th for a player that might dissappear (production wise)for 10-15 games, numerous times throughout the season. Sure, you can blame deployment, but its still a bad look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad