Value of: Jake Virtanen and Thatcher Demko

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Jake Virtanen
Younger winger with size and on pace for 21/21 season
-Similar production and age this season to kapanen went for a early-mid first

Thatcher Demko
-Young Goalie with number 1 potential

What could these guys get on the Open Market? Canucks needs picks/prospects/cap space

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What type of prospect are you looking for? I'm assuming D with top 4 potential looking at the team. I'd be more interested in Demko from a Flames perspective. Jake is too poor in his own end and we already have a couple of players who need to be sheltered.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
What type of prospect are you looking for? I'm assuming D with top 4 potential looking at the team. I'd be more interested in Demko from a Flames perspective. Jake is too poor in his own end and we already have a couple of players who need to be sheltered.
Yes the Canucks need D prospects (preferably RHD) and cap space so a deal that eats a bad contract is of interest to the Canucks as well.

I agree that Demko has more appeal to the Flames, but your assessment of Virtanen isn't entirely accurate. I wouldn't compare him to O'Reilly on the defensive side of the puck, but he is not a liability. He is almost never the cause of an opposition scoring chance. The biggest knock on Jake is that he doesn't use his tools all the time. When Jake is "on" he is a huge body, very fast strong skater and his shot is amazing. When he "isn't on" he is a step behind the play, chasing the puck. I get frustrated watching him, but it has nothing to do with his defensive ability.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Jake has improved year over year
This year, his Goals/points were more 2nd line than 3rd
especially for the minutes played
Remember he plays behind Boeser and Toffoli in Vancouver

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’d offer 15th overall and a prospect not named Sandin, Robertson or Liljegren. Not sure that entices Van. I’m not sold on Virtanen but he would help our teams physicality and would slot in well as Kapanen’s replacement (outside the PK, but brings way more physicality). I don’t think Virtanen click with Matthews or Tavares (for similar reasons as Kapanen, plays a top north/south game and doesn’t think the game at a high-level) but he’d be a good it on the 3rd. Demko is the real jewel and the hope is he can be a franchise goalie. Obviously, Andersen would need to be moved elsewhere to make it work and hopefully for a decent package.

If the goal is to reduce cap-space we are the wrong team to call.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I’d offer 15th overall and a prospect not named Sandin, Robertson or Liljegren. Not sure that entices Van. I’m not sold on Virtanen but he would help our teams physicality and would slot in well as Kapanen’s replacement (outside the PK, but brings way more physicality). I don’t think Virtanen click with Matthews or Tavares (for similar reasons as Kapanen, plays a top north/south game and doesn’t think the game at a high-level) but he’d be a good it on the 3rd. Demko is the real jewel and the hope is he can be a franchise goalie. Obviously, Andersen would need to be moved elsewhere to make it work and hopefully for a decent package.

Deal. Great trade offer

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Who are we talking about then, as a prospect?

A cursory glance at the Maple Leaf prospect pool left me a little underwhelmed. I just didn't see anything to appeal to me for Demko straight up, as I value Kapanen and Virtanen very similarly (the very pick Kapanen got in the trade this week being included).

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Only would move them together if Eriksson can be attached.
Maybe something like this:
Eriksson, Virtanen, Demko to Detroit
for
Bernier 50% retained
What is this post even. Giving up demko and virtanen for a cap dump? Also despite detroit being the worst team in the league they were scrapped to the cap ceiling.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

That’s a solid offer, curious to who’s your best prospect after those three though?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This isn't a bad idea, would Ottawa retain to keep have more dead cap space getting them over the floor?

Sens wont have an issue hitting the floor.

Whats the floor, 60m, 61?

We're at 42m currently, with C. Brown to resign (lets say 3.5 to 4.5m), Duclair (lets say 3 to 4m), Tierney (lets say 3.25 to 3.75), and even then we'd only have 7fwds and 4 D on our roster, totalling 52m-55m, depending on where guys fall in that range. Add in 7 guys at 800k and you're up to 55-58m.

Sens can get creative with cap space, but imo its much much much more likely that they take on dead cap space, or high cap low salary guys (like Eriksson) than they are to retain real salary for a player theyre dealing. I also think they will try to acquire a young, legit top 6F/top 4D, like Dunn, Sergachev, etc., with some of their picks and prospects.

I do think we'd be willing to take a guy like Ferland, no problem

Reactions: NB613

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
That’s a solid offer, curious to who’s your best prospect after those three though?
Personally, I’d take the newly acquired Hallander.

With giving up Madden, be nice to replenish the C prospect depth. Especially if Gaudette moves to wing.

Could also allow for a flip for a defensive prospect close to ready.

Just gives more options.

Thus:

Virtanen + Demko for 2020 15th OV + Hallander.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning created cap hell fir the Canucks. Jake and Demko must be moved to dump two of: Loui, Baer, and Sutter.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Benning created cap hell fir the Canucks. Jake and Demko must be moved to dump two of: Loui, Baer, and Sutter.

I think that is the most realist thing to happen.

Demko + Baertschi for a 3rd
Virtanen + Eriksson for future consideration

Could see Ottawa taking on Eriksson with Virtanen due to his low salary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad