Value of: Jake Virtanen and Thatcher Demko

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
I loathe the Canucks, but they have very quietly assembled a lot of young talent. I know the Lind family a bit. His sister played with my daughter in Swift Current. He should be a solid middle six guy and no one even talks about him.
I think he will be a good fit. Took him a few years in the AHL to learn how to be a pro but he looks like hes ready for his shot

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Canucks are not trading either Virtanen or Demko unless they can get rid of a bad contract in Eriksson, Sutter, or Baertschi at the same time.

The only other option is for a team may lose a good defenseman in the expansion draft to swap them with Demko for the Canucks to protect players.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Canucks are not trading either Virtanen or Demko unless they can get rid of a bad contract in Eriksson, Sutter, or Baertschi at the same time.

The only other option is for a team may lose a good defenseman in the expansion draft to swap them with Demko for the Canucks to protect players.
I would think you'll be keeping both players then. Virtanen isn't worth taking one of those contracts. Demko probably is worth taking one of the latter two, but not worth much is return if paired with one of them.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I would think you'll be keeping both players then. Virtanen isn't worth taking one of those contracts. Demko probably is worth taking one of the latter two, but not worth much is return if paired with one of them.

I don't think we'd be expecting much of a return if we are able to get rid of one of those contracts. A low draft pick.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Sooo ... who's going to play the right wing??
I don't see a scenario where they lose both. Benning has his work cut out for him, but the Canucks have some nice tradeable pieces (Demko, Virtanen, prosepects etc) the should help to ease the cap crunch. If he works through it for the next year, the Canucks will be in a good spot in the long term. This cap issue is nowhere near as bad in 2021/22.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I agree 100%. The only motivation to move these 2 would be to shed cap and sign Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev.

I really like Virtanen, but we have Podkolzin, MacEwan, Hoglander and Lind ready or close.
I also really like Demko, but can't see us keeping him past the expansion draft, especially if he plays well next year. DiPietro is likeley only a year away from being ready for a back up role, and we could get a reasonable UFA back up for next season at a low cap hit.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Don’t get why everyone’s trying to trade our young cost controlled assets to get rid of contracts. We don’t need to nuke their value. Here’s how the Canucks can easily get under the cap.

Sven baertschi + Eriksson 80th Pick to NJ for a Schneider.
Talked to NJ fans and they don’t like nor hate this deal.

Troy Stetcher to Nashville for a 3rd round pick + a 5th.
I’ve seen stetcher for a 2nd/3rd to Nashville proposed and generally well liked. Some fans thought it was too much if it was a 2nd.

now from here decide if we want to run with Demko or markstrom. If it’s marky then we trade Demko + benn to Chicago or Detroit for a 2nd.

that right there clears enough space to bring everyone else back.

markstrom 6M x 5yrs
Toffoli 5.25M x 3yrs
Virtanen 2M x 2yrs
Gaudette 1.5M x 2yrs
Motte 1.1M x 2 yrs
MacEwen 750k x 1 yr
Fantenberg 700k x 1 yr

UFA
DeMelo 3M x 1yr
Schenn 700k x 1yr
Prout 700k x 1yr

miller pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat toffoli
Roussel Gaudette virtanen
Motte beagle Sutter
MacEwen

Edler Myers
Hughes Schenn
Juolevi Demelo
Fantenberg prout

markstrom
Schneider

Ferland on LTIR we paper Schneider to get cap compliant until ferland is placed on ltir

CAP Total: 80.724 leaving 726k in cap space. If we really want to bring back tanev we could buyout Schneider, sign a backup for 1M and use 2 of the extra 3M to tanev instead of DeMelo. That leaves us with 1.726M in cap space

All we gave up is Stetcher and Demko whilst picking up a 2nd and 5th round pick. Stetcher may price himself out of Van anyways, Demko, because we commit to markstrom, it’s better to move him than lose him to Seattle.

Seattle has their choice of Motte/MacEwen/Rafferty/Lind. we protect Pettersson/Miller/Toffoli/Horvat/Gaudette/Virtanen/Boeser/Myers/Juolevi/Tanev/Markstrom.

They wont take a pending UFA or Schneider/Beagle/Roussel

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Jake Virtanen
Younger winger with size and on pace for 21/21 season
-Similar production and age this season to kapanen went for a early-mid first

Thatcher Demko
-Young Goalie with number 1 potential

What could these guys get on the Open Market? Canucks needs picks/prospects/cap space

As a TML fan I would be more willing than most to take a roll of the dice on both. Provided Virtanen had and 3/4 year deal in place at a reasonable Cap hit you use the assets you get from the Andersen deal.

You open up a huge amount of Cap space and redesign you D Corp. With the help on D you reduce the strain on your goalies and the basically so a tandem and run the hot goalie out in the playoffs.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Demko & Virtanen

Rask & Debrusk

Any interest?

I am really trying to see the logic here, honest to goodness I am.

We take more cap, when the whole purpose of this trade would be to get rid of cap.

We get older during a time when we have a young core that we want to grow together.

We get arguably worse depending on where Rask's head is at, and where Demko could end up.

I mean.....we gain......some more playoff experience I suppose?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So after shutting out the Knights tonight do you think Benning is starting to question what to do in net?

Look Markstrom is a great goalie but if he is asking for 7 million+ per I think you let him walk and sign a decent back up for a couple of years and Run the tandem out there until Demko is ready to play 60 games.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I think these are two players the Sharks could really use. Demko is the perfect backup candidate the Sharks are very much in need of. Young, good size, and at an affordable caphit. They can protect him over Jones in the expansion draft. Unfortunately, for Canucks fans that reason alone hurts his trade value (other than being a goalie that normally do not bring back a king's ransom).

Virtanen is also someone the Sharks could be interested in and find use for. Righthanded RW with all the looks of a skilled winger and finally showing more production. Consistency over the course of the season and his playoff production are still red flags. I wouldn't consider him a surefire top 6 winger just yet but I also don't think his potential to settled into that role has passed.

Both players still carry risk, Demko just because of the nature of the position and Virtanen with his consistency issues but the youth, look, and skills of both these players are very tantalizing. With the Jones deal being a cautionary tale for Wilson, I do think the inclusion of Virtanen in the deal would make it more worthwhile to explore an offer. Considering the parameters Canucks fans have made, I would feel comfortable making two different offers:

:nucks: TB's 1st and one of Artemi Kniazev or Dillon Hamaliuk.
:sharks: Virtanen and Demko

Both recent 2nd round picks of the Sharks in the 2019 draft. Kniazev is the much better prospect IMO and has shown up very well in his development but offers a skillset that the Sharks already have a large commitment to in Karlsson and Merkeley as the top prospect. He doesn't offer great size and is offensive by nature.

Hamaliuk comes with risk. He had mono last year which really affected his D+1 season. The good news is that he ended the year on an upswing. He fits the power forward mold and could end up being a replacement for Virtanen.

The second deal I had in mind is only if either of those two prospects are of no interest to Vancouver.

:nucks: SJ's 2nd round pick and Col's 2nd round pick
:sharks: Virtanan and Demko

San Jose's pick being only a few selections after the TB's 1st. This allows the Canucks to replace the two top 60 draft picks they lack.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think these are two players the Sharks could really use. Demko is the perfect backup candidate the Sharks are very much in need of. Young, good size, and at an affordable caphit. They can protect him over Jones in the expansion draft. Unfortunately, for Canucks fans that reason alone hurts his trade value (other than being a goalie that normally do not bring back a king's ransom).

Virtanen is also someone the Sharks could be interested in and find use for. Righthanded RW with all the looks of a skilled winger and finally showing more production. Consistency over the course of the season and his playoff production are still red flags. I wouldn't consider him a surefire top 6 winger just yet but I also don't think his potential to settled into that role has passed.

Both players still carry risk, Demko just because of the nature of the position and Virtanen with his consistency issues but the youth, look, and skills of both these players are very tantalizing. With the Jones deal being a cautionary tale for Wilson, I do think the inclusion of Virtanen in the deal would make it more worthwhile to explore an offer. Considering the parameters Canucks fans have made, I would feel comfortable making two different offers:

:nucks: TB's 1st and one of Artemi Kniazev or Dillon Hamaliuk.
:sharks: Virtanen and Demko

Both recent 2nd round picks of the Sharks in the 2019 draft. Kniazev is the much better prospect IMO and has shown up very well in his development but offers a skillset that the Sharks already have a large commitment to in Karlsson and Merkeley as the top prospect. He doesn't offer great size and is offensive by nature.

Hamaliuk comes with risk. He had mono last year which really affected his D+1 season. The good news is that he ended the year on an upswing. He fits the power forward mold and could end up being a replacement for Virtanen.

The second deal I had in mind is only if either of those two prospects are of no interest to Vancouver.

:nucks: SJ's 2nd round pick and Col's 2nd round pick
:sharks: Virtanan and Demko

San Jose's pick being only a few selections after the TB's 1st. This allows the Canucks to replace the two top 60 draft picks they lack.

These both seem like very easy passes for the Canucks.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Sabres could really use a goalie upgrade and assuming thenCanucks resign Markstrom.
I’d take a chance that Demko is that guy.

Demko
Virtanen
Eriksson 10% retained

for

Hutton 50% retained
2021 - 2nd rounder
B prospect

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Demko looks like the real prize here,Virtanen is ok ,but after Demko,s playoff performance his stock is pretty high

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
God I hope they're dumb enough to move Demko and give Markstrom a huge contract.
This is so much like Luongo vrs 2.0....Sign the vet to a huge deal and deal the kid..They did win by getting Horvat last time,but man it must be tense in Canuck town right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->