HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The D next season is starting to look like:

Chabot - Zub
Holden - Hamonic
Sanderson - Zaitsev
One of Brannstrom/Thomson/JBD as the 7th. Brannstrom could be traded in the summer.

I put Sanderson on 3rd pair to ease his entry and until he gets acclimated to NHL level competition.

Reactions: DrEasy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't mind the number at all. The only jersey number faux-pas is a goalie wearing a number between 2-26. I'm looking at you Kostkinen.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I wish numbers were not retired but honoured by hanging the player's sweaters in the arena with the player's name & number on it. Wearing a retired player's number would be special .
Would really prefer this too, it just makes sense to say this now because that’s obviously how it will have to be given a long enough timeline with enough retired numbers.

Just make a recently honoured number effectively retired/unusable for a set period - maybe 10 years? After that players can use it but at the team’s discretion.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Generally I agree but I make an exception for 55 because I’ve always like Jovanovski.

gonchar.jpg

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
TBH I didn’t appreciate Gonchar as much until he joined the Sens and I read more on him and how hard he works/what a good mentor he was.

That said you’re right, he was awesome.

tbh 55 should be retired league wide in recognition of Brian Lee.

Reactions: Bileur

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I actually like all of them. The 80’s are the worst for me. Or the 30’s
Personally I don’t mind the 80s, it’s the ending of 5 aside from 15 I don’t like.

25, 35, 45, 55, 75, are all so ugly and blocky. 81, 89, 88, 82 etc are all infinitely better to me.

62 would’ve been nice imo

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
This discussion reminds me of our eldest daughter confiding in us one day that her favourite direction was West.

We were like whaaaaa??? People have a favourite direction?!?

Hahaha, good times with the kids :)
My favourite direction is West for sure. At least from here it is… and I’m a Newfy! I love Western Canada from the mountains to the coast.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The female warriors are called the four directions, the four corners of a square, the four moods, the four winds, the four different female personalities that exist in the human race.
The first is the east. She is called order. She is optimistic, lighthearted, smooth, persistent like a steady breeze.
The second is the north. She is called strength. She is resourceful, blunt, direct, tenacious like a hard wind.
The third is the west. She is called feeling. She is introspective, remorseful, cunning, sly, like a cold gust of wind.
The fourth is the south. She is called growth. She is nurturing, loud, shy, warm, like a hot wind.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I think it was silly of the organization to retire frank finnigans #8 and Chris Phillips’ #4. With finnigan they wanted to link the original sens with the new and all that, and finnigan was the only surviving member of those silver 7 teams but what a stretch to retire his jersey number lol. Honour it, absolutely. But to say no one in the organization can wear it again is a bit much for me. Same with big rigs 4. Great career here and one of the nicest people you’d meet. Doesn’t mean they should retire his number 4. He’s not Bobby orr.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I think it was silly of the organization to retire frank finnigans #8 and Chris Phillips’ #4. With finnigan they wanted to link the original sens with the new and all that, and finnigan was the only surviving member of those silver 7 teams but what a stretch to retire his jersey number lol. Honour it, absolutely. But to say no one in the organization can wear it again is a bit much for me. Same with big rigs 4. Great career here and one of the nicest people you’d meet. Doesn’t mean they should retire his number 4. He’s not Bobby orr.

I agree, the Finnigan thing makes sense with the history and the cups and whatnot... but aside from "most games in franchise history" 4 or 5 years seemingly where he didn't particularly deserve to be playing (who here remembers "the point") what success did he or the team have to warrant jersey retirement?

I get Alfie obviously no question, captain for a decade and a half, franchise leader in every statistical category that matters...

but Phillips? ehhhh

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Zaitsev and Holden have contracts for next season and therefore are close to locks too on this budget cap floor team.

Holden i would consider closer to a lock because of his play and the general vibe of him around the team

There was a lot smoke around Zaistev being on the block around the deadline so i am extremely hopeful that he is gone even if we have to pay to get rid of him

Honestly Bran should be a lock for a spot but with the way the coaching staff is if he isnt a lock then he should be traded

If we go into camp without an upgrade at RD then the offseason is a failure, we can expect an offense boost just based upon development and theoretically better forward health but our overall defense doesnt have as much developmental upside outside of sanderson. So even if we dont get a top 6 forward this offseason it wont be as bad as if we dont get a defense upgrade imo

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Whether Sanderson gets in this yr or not doesn't really matter, it's going to be half way through next season when he starts to gain his stride that will be important for a drive run & hopefully playoff perth. Next yr can't be as bad as this yr with all of the things that have gone wrong for Ottawa, next season should be the beginning of a great team here for yrs to come. Welcome to Ottawa Sandy, looking forward to seeing you in a Sens uniform.
I really hope people understand that. Even halfway through next season might be early. He's going to be a stud, but we won't see that version of him consistently for a while - probably into his second full season. And even then, as a defensive defenseman, even the smallest misstep can easily result in a goal against.

I can see a ton of casual fans ragging on the kid in his first year when he isn't the next Chabot offensively. The organization is really going to have to shelter the kid from some of the crazy expectations out there.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I really hope people understand that. Even halfway through next season might be early. He's going to be a stud, but we won't see that version of him consistently for a while - probably into his second full season. And even then, as a defensive defenseman, even the smallest misstep can easily result in a goal against.

I can see a ton of casual fans ragging on the kid in his first year when he isn't the next Chabot offensively. The organization is really going to have to shelter the kid from some of the crazy expectations out there.
I really like Sandy's offensive game and I think he'll show enough flashes that people will be satisfied. I think he does project to a chabot like player, but you're right that it probably won't be next season. His offense has progressed like crazy since the draft, and his skating is immaculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad