Last thread is at 1000.

Jake Sanderson at eliteprospects.com

Ejrw501WoAA5mLG.jpg

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Given the current situation with young D-men on the Sens, where do you think he would slot in? Considering it's looking like Chabot would be the 1LD (in both being a LD and his contract) for the future, would Sanderson fit right in behind him sooner than later at 2LD? I assume players like Coburn, Reilly and Wolanin won't really be in Sanderson's way for a try at the NHL level right?

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Given the current situation with young D-men on the Sens, where do you think he would slot in? Considering it's looking like Chabot would be the 1LD (in both being a LD and his contract) for the future, would Sanderson fit right in behind him sooner than later at 2LD? I assume players like Coburn, Reilly and Wolanin won't really be in Sanderson's way for a try at the NHL level right?

I think he’s behind Brann who will prob hold that Reilly/Wolanin spot soon. If Lassi has a good developmental year in the AHL I could see him slide into the 5-7 slot anchored by Brown.

I think Sanderson is 0-1 years away and JBD is 1+ years away.

If UND ends early it will be Intersting to see who turns pro ... and where they go ...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I think it’ll be Sanderson and Chabot at 25+ minutes a night, basically the entire game one of these two would be out except for some PK time.

It’ll be like Pronger and Neidermeyer in Anaheim

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think he’s behind Brann who will prob hold that Reilly/Wolanin spot soon. If Lassi has a good developmental year in the AHL I could see him slide into the 5-7 slot anchored by Brown.

I think Sanderson is 0-1 years away and JBD is 1+ years away.

If UND ends early it will be Intersting to see who turns pro ... and where they go ...

I was thinking Brann would be the 1RD/2RD, which is why I said Chabot being only ahead really of Sanderson.

Do you think he is good enough now to leave UND early?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Watching Sanderson play at the WJC and then watching our defense the first two games of the season makes me relieved that we decided to draft an elite defenseman instead of another forward with that #5 pick.

Having a Sanderson type defenseman with anchoring that 2nd pairing with an ability to actually get the puck out of our zone and up the ice is going to instantly make us better.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I was thinking Brann would be the 1RD/2RD, which is why I said Chabot being only ahead really of Sanderson.

Im not sure - but I think that UND house of cards is collapsing and he might be happy to join the Sens wether it’s the AHL or NHL.

It would do him well to get out in front of the competition from Brann, Lassi, Zub, JBD, and the decent Belleville guys. Only 1+? are going for break in at a time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

His defense, sure. However, I think Ottawa will want to keep him there a bit to develop his offensive side. Many times he has blazed it up ice past everyone but hasnt corralled it properly to do something with it. He was a late, fast riser who already looks like UND's most trusted defender(alongside JBD). His development was somewhat halted due to pandemic.

I could see Ottawa keeping him there next year to captain US team, play pivotal role in UND and WJC, and then join Ottawa for a possible playoff push in April a la Makar.

Simultaneously, he could play half season in AHL next year, WJC too, then Ottawa full time after.

Watching Sanderson play at the WJC and then watching our defense the first two games of the season makes me relieved that we decided to draft an elite defenseman instead of another forward with that #5 pick.

Having a Sanderson type defenseman with anchoring that 2nd pairing with an ability to actually get the puck out of our zone and up the ice is going to instantly make us better.

Huge. Especially having an elite shutdown blazing defender to counter the high octane offenses in our division/conference. Toronto is going to be baby food when we line up Tkachuk, Sanderson, Stutzle in the playoffs. Good luck marner and rielly, lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Was whatever last night. But the whole team was one massive piece of shit. I would like to see him take a bit more control. Especially in transitions the puck himself

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Was whatever last night. But the whole team was one massive piece of shit. I would like to see him take a bit more control. Especially in transitions the puck himself

Yeah he has to try to make more of an impact. Way too passive out there.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah he has to try to make more of an impact. Way too passive out there.

Nope. He's "playing a pro style game already." I mean obviously. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I agree now is when he should be pushing his own personal envelope and trying to take over games. To be fair that is not really an easy thing to do in college hockey.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chabot - Zaitsev
Sanderson - JBD
Wolanin - Brown
Zub

This is where I see our D in 2022/23

JBD will play NHL games next year and maybe Sanderson as well.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

He will finish his season at UND for sure. Things are also harder to "predict" because it has been so different since last year with the pandemic and less hockey played. He could go back for another year, hard to say either way but likely plays some NHL games after his season.

Many of us woud want the team to plan on having Brannstrom at RD but still unsure about the plan with him... Yes, Chabot/Sanderson will play LD for sure and will anchor the first 2 pairings

This is how I'd have it. Wolanin, not a ton of minutes at ES so you can actually give him favorable matchups and also significant PP time. A guy that could pay dividends in terms of production by minutes and who shouldn't be too expensive.

Chabot
Sanderson
Wolanin

The RD is completely unsure though. The options are

Nikita Zaitsev (4 years, 29 y/o)
Josh Brown (2 years, 27 y/o)
Erik Gudbranson (1 year, 29 y/o)
Artyem Zub (RFA, 25 y/o) : still hasn't played a NHL game

Prospects

Erik Brannstrom (21 y/o) : only guy who is NHL ready

Jacob Bernard-Docker (20 y/o) : most likely needs 1 year in the AHL next season

Lassi Thomson (20 y/o) : was struggling in Liiga this season. Being in NA could help him turn things around. Will need at least 2 seasons in the AHL.

Maxence Guenette (19 y/o) : he is developing quite well. Probably still several years away as he is quite young and comes from far being a 7th round pick

Christian Jaros (24 y/o) : seems like he fell out of favor with the coaching staff. He will get a new chance somewhere else in the near future. RFA at the end of the season, will probably be traded for another guy "in between" AHL/NHL.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Chabot - Zaitsev
Sanderson - JBD
Wolanin - Brown
Zub

This is where I see our D in 2022/23

JBD will play NHL games next year and maybe Sanderson as well.
not sure you can roll with that. probably need at least another vet in there.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Man I can't wait to watch him do what he did against Team Canada in the Finals to our division rivals in a few years... It will be a treat to watch him single handedly break out pucks or make beautiful stretch passes or one touch plays to Stützle/Tkachuk/Batherson/Formenton/Pinto/etc. Having his stabilizing presence on the back-end will change the entire look of our team and help eliminate the Benny Hill defensive zone adventures we are still having.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Don't wanna derail this thread, but speaking of UND, do we wish tychonick just stayed there? Did he go to Nebraska for greater opportunity?

Last year he was 4th on D scoring with UND at age 19 along with JBD and a couple older guys who were 21 and 23. Now he's tied for 4th in D scoring with Nebraska with a few others guys looking to surpass him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don't wanna derail this thread, but speaking of UND, do we wish tychonick just stayed there? Did he go to Nebraska for greater opportunity?

Last year he was 4th on D scoring with UND at age 19 along with JBD and a couple older guys who were 21 and 23. Now he's tied for 4th in D scoring with Nebraska with a few others guys looking to surpass him.
He’s really struggling to take a step.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Personally labeled Tychonick as a bust. You never know but he would need to take some major steps in the next few years. Maybe have him 1 season in the AHL after college to see if there's anything. Doubt any team will give him an ELC. He's going to be 21 y/o in March and may not even be AHL level yet.

not sure you can roll with that. probably need at least another vet in there.

He said 2022-23 which is in 2 years By then, everyone will be a veteran outside of JBD who would be a rookie and Sanderson probably a sophomore.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I have to admit, prior to the draft, I had really wanted the Sens to draft two forwards, and I was a little bit "annoyed" when theh picked Sanderson on draft day, but I warmed up to it quickly after especially after watching him at the WJC.

Now it seems more than ever that we needed a high potential defenseman way more than a high potential forward, and taking Sanderson even if he was not the BPA is looking like the right move in hindsight now.

This team is absolutely terrible defensively and it becomes so evident and extenuated whenever Chabot is injured or having an off game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I have to admit, prior to the draft, I had really wanted the Sens to draft two forwards, and I was a little bit "annoyed" when theh picked Sanderson on draft day, but I warmed up to it quickly after especially after watching him at the WJC.

Now it seems more than ever that we needed a high potential defenseman way more than a high potential forward, and taking Sanderson even if he was not the BPA is looking like the right move in hindsight now.

This team is absolutely terrible defensively and it becomes so evident and extenuated whenever Chabot is injured or having an off game.

Do you think Sanderson will sign this off-season? How do you think his offensive game will transition given he only has about 6 points in 13 games?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you think Sanderson will sign this off-season? How do you think his offensive game will transition given he only has about 6 points in 13 games?
There's a reasonable chance he signs the moment they are out of the frozen four and he plays a game or two to finish off the season with Ottawa, though quarantine requirements might throw a monkey wrench into things now that i think about it. I think he's a lock to be one and done then off to the AHL next year assuming he doesnt crack the NHL club

Reactions: Ice-Tray and GCK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad