Jake Muzzin discussions (continued)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Muzzin has been great the past 8 games or more but lets not act like he was amazing since he arrived. He's been better than advertised lately which has been great.

1st 20gms: 2gls, 11pts (8gls/45pts pace), +4, 51.0cf%, 51.9scf%

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yep. Added a top four (arguably top pair) defenseman and didn't give up Sandin, Liljegren, or Bracco. A lot of people thought a package would include at least one of Sandin or Liljegren. That it didn't had a lot of people back-tracking.
And not just a rental either. I don't think people appreciate how good the trade was, mainly because they're too hung up on handedness

Reactions: SAMCRO44

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
You don't get to claim victory in this type of argument because of the team results. Muzzin could suck in the playoffs and we could still win despite it, or he could be a world beater and we still lose.
Just stop lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And not just a rental either. I don't think people appreciate how good the trade was, mainly because they're too hung up on handedness
Too hung up on handedness and too hung up on Dubas hatedness

These people were screaming and crying for eons that we didn't have a physical gritty presence in our top-4 and Dubas went out acquired the best one available and they go and find ways to still bitch about it. Just hilarious.

The best part is: the handedness barely even matters in the end. We have Muzzin signed for next year and we have two top-4 defensemen likely leaving as UFA's. So we NEED another LHD to fill in the spot that Gardiner's leaving. You literally have to go out your way to find things to bitch about regarding this acquisition. It's so pathetic.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
1st 20gms: 2gls, 11pts (8gls/45pts pace), +4, 51.0cf%, 51.9scf%
I get a McCabe vibe in that his mistakes are blatant and that impact how many (including myself) view him.

He's not as good as McCabe, but the fact he does a lot more positive than negative, much of which isn't obvious.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I get a McCabe vibe in that his mistakes are blatant and that impact how many (including myself) view him.

He's not as good as McCabe, but the fact he does a lot more positive than negative, much of which isn't obvious.

eh he's easily better than McCabe imo.

mccabe was better on the PP, though.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Unless he didn't want to single out any one teammate infront of the media, I thought it was odd that Muzz said none of the young guys have approached him about playoff advice yet. (1:32)

Guess since the guys have been through it before, they don't need it, but he seemed awfully quick to say none and was indifferent.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This is where Muzzin will earn his pay. He's going to play a big role in this team's success in the playoffs. Babs will lean on him with big minutes. I hope he's up to the challenge.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You forgot a key one. Where is their stick when defending against the rush. Zaitsev stick is no where near where it should be.

I watch reads and rotations as these to me are key indicators of who is playing within the teams system or are freelancing.

Zaitsev first year here everyone on here loved him or most did. I disliked him as he missed easy reads and Rotations and hung out Rielly to dry.

Zaitsev has made Gardiner look bad as well. He has his own struggles with indecisive play but reading off of Zaitsev is near impossible. Gardiner could stand to be a little braver. Muzzin Gardiner pairing would be fine. Gardiner has enough skill both skating and stick skills to play his weak side.
Gards can't pivot when skating backwards at speed to his left. He has been worked on this skill with Barb for many years. It is just not natural for him. So he must play the left side. Switching him over gives up our net. We can't have that. And Babs and Gards both know it if anyone cares to ask him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Unless he didn't want to single out any one teammate infront of the media, I thought it was odd that Muzz said none of the young guys have approached him about playoff advice yet. (1:32)

Guess since the guys have been through it before, they don't need it, but he seemed awfully quick to say none and was indifferent.

after the interview marleau went home and cried a little :laugh:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Gards can't pivot when skating backwards at speed to his left. He has been worked on this skill with Barb for many years. It is just not natural for him. So he must play the left side. Switching him over gives up our net. We can't have that. And Babs and Gards both know it if anyone cares to ask him.
Lol. If he can not pivot to his left at speed while skating backwards what is he doing playing the left side. As that is the way he would pivot the most as that is his strong side. While skating backwards defending he needs to pivot to the left to keep players to the outside.

If anything he is weaker pivoting to his right and hence his preference to play the left side.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lol. If he can not pivot to his left at speed while skating backwards what is he doing playing the left side. As that is the way he would pivot the most as that is his strong side. While skating backwards defending he needs to pivot to the left to keep players to the outside.

If anything he is weaker pivoting to his right and hence his preference to play the left side.
Talk to either Barb or Jake and they will likely tell you. There is nothing lol about it. It is just a fact. If you were in any way connected to the team or system you would know.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I am going to disagree with you...yes he is over paid for what he brings, but the guy is a serviceable NHL defenseman...he's just very 1 dimensional...he also requires a safety blanket (a dermott esque player to compliment him) but the guy is serviceable...maybe not at his current contract but I don't mind him being on the team...could be *shudder* Marincin

Zaitsev drags down the performance of almost every defender he's chained to. When you have to provide caveats like "he also requires a safety blanket", that's an issue when you're describing someone who's being played in a top-4 role. And what exactly is his 1 dimension? I'm actually having a tough time figuring out what he's good at. It's not offense or defense.

The Marincin quip is akin to saying "Sorry you got stabbed, but hey you could have been shot." Neither are good options.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Zaitsev drags down the performance of almost every defender he's chained to. When you have to provide caveats like "he also requires a safety blanket", that's an issue when you're describing someone who's being played in a top-4 role. And what exactly is his 1 dimension? I'm actually having a tough time figuring out what he's good at. It's not offense or defense.

The Marincin quip is akin to saying "Sorry you got stabbed, but hey you could have been shot." Neither are good options.
Marincin Holl and Oz are AHL level players. Z is a KHL level player. Z will never ever be a decent NHL defender. He can skate that is all he has. His physical play is weak, his passing is weak, his defensive zone coverage is spotty, his transition game is ok and his offense is bad. If it was not for Bab's putting his endorsement on him he would still be in KHL. He would have a very hard time making any other NHL team. But people can get confused because of his skating like Bab's.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Too hung up on handedness and too hung up on Dubas hatedness

These people were screaming and crying for eons that we didn't have a physical gritty presence in our top-4 and Dubas went out acquired the best one available and they go and find ways to still ***** about it. Just hilarious.

The best part is: the handedness barely even matters in the end. We have Muzzin signed for next year and we have two top-4 defensemen likely leaving as UFA's. So we NEED another LHD to fill in the spot that Gardiner's leaving. You literally have to go out your way to find things to ***** about regarding this acquisition. It's so pathetic.
I respect other people's opinions but when it becomes an agenda and opinions are spewed as fact and also when people "mind read" others and use that as fact it becomes head-scratching... We'll know more about Dubas' vision and effectiveness after 3-5 years just like in most cases.He's a smart guy well rounded in most departments of running a hockey operation and seems to believe in balancing statistics with the eye test. I have my own opinion about the contracts he's signed Nylander and Matthews to but again it's opinion. He didn't just pick numbers out of thin air and he has a very cap-knowledgeable guy as his right hand man.We're still finishing the rebuild but that doesn't mean we can't do well this year and next. Goal tending, hard work and a few bounces go a long way.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Talk to either Barb or Jake and they will likely tell you. There is nothing lol about it. It is just a fact. If you were in any way connected to the team or system you would know.

Think about what you said. He struggled Pivoting to his left while skating backwards . Then he would be best playing the right side as pivot to his right is required more while playing on the right side as you are defending the middle and mostly pivoting to the outside which would be to the right on the right side and left while playing the left side.

I know the system and have connections to the team.
Your saying he is weak pivoting to the left is simply wrong as I explain above.

He is slightly weaker to his right side as I said previously. The left is his strong side.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Anyone can knit pick and belittle someone from the confines of their living room.

It doesn't take away from the fact that it was universally accepted by all the professionals that it was a good deal.
Not against the deal but praising Dubas for giving up non roster players as if prospects aren't worth as much is insane. The majority of deadline deals are future for present type deals.

Next season, Muzzin should be a #3 paired with a rushing RD. That will give the leafs a 4th man attack from both sides.

Rielly RHD
Muzzin RHD
Rosen Dermott
Sandin/Lilly

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Think about what you said. He struggled Pivoting to his left while skating backwards . Then he would be best playing the right side as pivot to his right is required more while playing on the right side as you are defending the middle and mostly pivoting to the outside which would be to the right on the right side and left while playing the left side.

I know the system and have connections to the team.
Your saying he is weak pivoting to the left is simply wrong as I explain above.

He is slightly weaker to his right side as I said previously. The left is his strong side.
My kid is playing in the Leaf farm system. I talk to Barb all the time. I am not guessing. It is strictly fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad