Jake Muzzin discussions (continued)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Muzzin showing his value. Great game from him. I was legit critical at times during the season. Not after a solid game like that.
He had a bit of a rough start but then played a great game.

Zaitsev is a pretty good partner for him as Zaitsev is way more mobile and more defensively inclined so allows Muzzin to commit more offensively.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018

Zaitsev is a pretty good partner for him as Zaitsev is way more mobile and more defensively inclined so allows Muzzin to commit more offensively.

Great game by the leafs . Zaitsev is not defensively inclined. Watch him in the first. A lot of giveaways. He is mobile though, like you said.

Muzzin was great tonight

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In most left handed D you would be right in your assessment as they would be stronger to the left pivot. But not Gards he is different as they say. His strong side pivot is to his right. He generates more power that way. All you have to do is watch the Debrusk goal in last years playoffs in slow motion and it is as plain as day. But this only occurs when play is moving at top speed and Gards turns his most natural way to the right which is most comfortable to him. When all the announcers criticized him last year for turning the wrong way none of them had enough knowledge to explain why. Because they don't know.
Yeah I've noticed this too. And I remember that St Louis came out and talked about that afterwards. I don't remember the specifics but he talked about how Gardiner, given the momentum he had, needed to pivot right or he'd just end up on DeBrusk's back. And it's always been my impression that he pivots to the right a lot, so I'm glad that you are able to confirm that.

Reactions: zaqq

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Great game by the leafs . Zaitsev is not defensively inclined. Watch him in the first. A lot of giveaways. He is mobile though, like you said.

Muzzin was great tonight

Hrudy came on after 2 periods and said Zaitsev had played an error free game...HUH??? Guess he had a couple bathroom breaks.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hrudy came on after 2 periods and said Zaitsev had played an error free game...HUH??? Guess he had a couple bathroom breaks.

Yeah, Zaitsev was fighting the puck quite a bit but I liked his overall game. He looked like a decent top 4 D paired next to Muzzin.

I still don't like him on the PK, way too passive.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Oh baby. It is so fun to be in Boston. Muzz was da man last night on defense. I still get worried every time Z touches the puck but his skating is good. His hands while lets not go there.
But Freddy wow. Steady Freddy is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
If he continues to play like that this one is over.
Even with the Gards cross ice give-away from corner to front of his own net a classic Gards. Freddy picked him up with the most dramatic top shelf point blank glove save of the game. Bruins fans died with that save. You could feel it in the building.
One big noticeable difference this year is Boston fans. Before start of game ticket prices had fallen a lot. I bought them much before at 193 each row 10 behind Bruins net. Guy beside me picked them up 2 half hour before game for 100 each.
Outside rink at hotel people are talking Celtics Raptors final. One guy at breakfast this morning told me I was here a little too early.
This is a Celtics town first. I said da Leafs were going to take this one and he says well not a big deal it is only hockey.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Muzzin was fantastic last night. Basically did what we acquired him to do. But Im sorry other then a couple of bouncing pucks that any D would have had problems with, Zaitsev was solid last night.

Anyone stating otherwise is clueless.

Babcock switching it up and playing Muzzin and Zaitsev on the Bergy line was a brilliant play. I think the detractors are confused by Zaitsev as after his first year point totals, they expect him to be more offensively minded. What they haven't noticed is that he has gradually been reshaped into a shut-down D.

With Muzzin now in the fold, Muzz can now be the puck-mover on that pairing and still maintain a semblance of strong defensive awareness.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This, lets not overrate his performance tonight. He had great moments and some ugly ones. Giveaways and getting caught flat footed on opposing blue line creating a 2 on 1 which Zaitsev made a wonderful play on. Still obviously net positive but needs to iron out some things.
No shit he was a bit off at first. It was his first game in a while after battling injury/sickness, and he was matched up against the best line in hockey. Once he settled in he was his usual outstanding self

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
No **** he was a bit off at first. It was his first game in a while after battling injury/sickness, and he was matched up against the best line in hockey. Once he settled in he was his usual outstanding self

"his usual outstanding stuff" - he hasn't been consistently outstanding since being traded here. He's had some rough patches defensively, just like last night. Like I said, I hope he can iron out some of the defensive hiccups and play a steadier/safer brand of hockey going forward. If he can't, I see him more as a 2nd pairing guy, which is fine, but I was hoping he'd be a top pairing guy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Proving his worth right now.

He’s finally had some time to click with the new team and he and Zaitsev in particular may prove to have great chemistry on that second pairing

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
"his usual outstanding stuff" - he hasn't been consistently outstanding since being traded here. He's had some rough patches defensively, just like last night. Like I said, I hope he can iron out some of the defensive hiccups and play a steadier/safer brand of hockey going forward. If he can't, I see him more as a 2nd pairing guy, which is fine, but I was hoping he'd be a top pairing guy.

Top pairing as a term can get overstated at times. Gardiner was second to Rielly in ice time average this season, and I wouldn't say they were the most frequent pairing on the team. With some pending UFA uncertainty on the blueline, it's possible Rielly and Muzzin will be 1-2 in ice time average next season and find themselves on different pairings as often as Rielly and Gardiner have this season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Everyone can say what they want about Zaitsev but he had jump every shift. Thats what I'm looking for.

The entire team was intense and they didn't smile to much at the end of the game. One game at a time and very serious about it.

Thats not confidence, its a chip on their shoulders and expierence that they are showing. I hope they roll like this rigjt through every game.

Save the jubilation for whennthey win something. ;))

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Muzzin was instrumental in the first goal with that one-timer off of the feed from Tavares. He has a great one-timer that none of our dmen has.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Exactly what I was hoping for. He and z did a great job on the top line. They can be our shutdown pair. Which makes it less of a priority to get an absolute top pair partner for rielly.

Next year

Muzz. Zaitsev
Rielly. Xxxxx
Rosen. Dermott

Heck if marleau stays we may end up needing to take hainsey back on a 1.5 deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess playoff hockey is Muzzin’s element. His comment about the Leafs being hungry after Game 82 seemed weird but their play would seem to indicate he was right.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

As I said, this guy just has some defensive gaffes at times. Last game they didn't end up costing us so everyone praises his game, tonight they've costed us 2 goals, the 2nd one was just an awful failed gamble. Frustrating.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Zaitsev drags down the performance of almost every defender he's chained to. When you have to provide caveats like "he also requires a safety blanket", that's an issue when you're describing someone who's being played in a top-4 role. And what exactly is his 1 dimension? I'm actually having a tough time figuring out what he's good at. It's not offense or defense.

The Marincin quip is akin to saying "Sorry you got stabbed, but hey you could have been shot." Neither are good options.

Bahaha I never thought of it that way, you definitely got a chuckle out of me

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

that hit on zug may be the turning point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad