Injury Report: Jake Muzzin Broken Bone In Face

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Dermott wasn't good as a whole last year, but he was excellent when Rielly & Muzzin were hurt. I think he's been generally pretty good this year with Bogosian being a bit of a possession anchor, so I'm optimistic that he'll be good in this spot.

the downside is that he becomes much more of an expansion target if he's good in a bigger role.
Ya I hope he will do well as he did do well last year before the regular season ended as you said. However he has also struggled when moved up the lineup

I hope he does well, but it could create some expansion draft fun or maybe boost Dermott value in a trade or something. I have a hard time thinking Dermott is a leaf after the expansion draft with Muzzin/Rielly blocking him and Dermott blocking Sandin

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I figure Brodie takes on a bigger role with the PK now as Lehtonen sees an increase in time on PP2. Rielly or Dermott for PK2.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
I agree with most of your points , other than “ he’s our best Defensive D men “
I’m a huge fan of what Muzz brings to the team , but his lack of mobility and speed and skating technique in terms of rotating while skating backwards is a liability in today’s speed game , but invaluable in the playoffs still , but not much longer ...
I think within 2 years he will be replaced hopefully with one of our younger more mobile defence men

Dubas and Keefe looking at Liljegren like

Attachments

• soon-i-will-have-a-new-apprentice-one-far-younger-and-more-powerful.jpg
    soon-i-will-have-a-new-apprentice-one-far-younger-and-more-powerful.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 3

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
D depth charts look like this to me
LD - RD
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian
Lehtonen - Liljegren
Sandin - Marincin
Marincin

Marty looks to be 4th on the LD depth list right now with the injuries to Muzzin and Sandin (5th on the RD) but he's pretty good on the PK while Lehtonen probably isn't (hasn't had a chance yet in the NHL) and someone needs to take Muzzin's PK minutes.
Dermott has better PK stats than Muzzin and Holl last year, even after accounting for playing half as much

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Awful news, wish muz a fast and healthy recovery. Guess it’s time to see what Dermott has to offer in a bigger role, I really liked what I saw from him with bogo, but he won’t be able to make stupid plays and have holl bail him out against 1-2 line competition, I hope Liljegren gets called up to be the 7th dman and he actually gets to see some games, where we give lehtonen or someone a night off, we are in a pretty good position and I want to see what he is when our team isn’t a complete tire fire

Reactions: Eric bungay

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Lilly needs to make a name for himself soon, his draft year was 2017, since 2017 there have been (including Lily) fifteen d-men drafted, they have to play somewhere and you can only have 6 to 8 on the AHL team. He is running out of runway with the Leafs, I would think if he is not on the roster by next year, the Leafs will cut bait and move on.
Ridiculous take since he's their best and most ready RHD prospect they have and is playing lights out all-star D on the Marlies

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Damn this sucks. Lose one of our best defenseman for a extended period.

Muzzin seems to have bad luck with injuries. Missed a chunk of past year and looks like he will be out for a while now

I don't think it's bad luck I think it's more to do with his playstyle, he does more work in the dirty areas than any defenceman on the team by far. Sucks though, I can't help but remember how badly his absence swung the momentum in the Columbus series, Leafs destroyed them the game Muzzin got injured and never looked the same again. To me he's our most important defenceman.

I think we'll be okay without him for a bit but obviously his health is the primary concern here, hope he's back soon.

Reactions: hamzarocks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lilly needs to make a name for himself soon, his draft year was 2017, since 2017 there have been (including Lily) fifteen d-men drafted, they have to play somewhere and you can only have 6 to 8 on the AHL team. He is running out of runway with the Leafs, I would think if he is not on the roster by next year, the Leafs will cut bait and move on.
Incorrect.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well that's really bad. We already saw how Holl struggled without Muzzin last season. They are a rock solid pair together though. I guess this is a good test for Dermott and frankly for Holl himself to prove that he isn't just reliant on Muzzin to be as good as he's been this year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes yes , great memory brotha ..
I miss baseball and those Jays

Apologize to all for this OT post but I can't resist.

This play from the 85 season was IMHO one of the most amazing plays in baseball history. I was listening to this on the radio as it happened and at that moment, I said that that's it, this is the year we break through and win the pennant. It just exemplified the spirit of that team.

It was the play that ended our catcher platoon as it put Martinez out for the season but holy crap what a play. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the only time in baseball history that a guy tagged out two guys at home plate on the same play, just incredible stuff!!

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ya I hope he will do well as he did do well last year before the regular season ended as you said. However he has also struggled when moved up the lineup

I hope he does well, but it could create some expansion draft fun or maybe boost Dermott value in a trade or something. I have a hard time thinking Dermott is a leaf after the expansion draft with Muzzin/Rielly blocking him and Dermott blocking Sandin
I like the idea of having him assuming he does well. His skillset is very versatile so he can fill a lot of roles, like I don't think PP duty is out of the question for him at all.

If he does well and we see a push from Sandin/Liljegren, I could see our need for Rielly diminishing which I see as being a really good thing if it happens. I like Rielly a lot, but he's going to get paid more than his on ice impact is worth because offense always does and I really could see his role being replaced by committee. Sandin/Liljegren with PP duties, an unspectacular but effective top 4 with Brodie-Muzzin-Holl and whoever proves they're worthy. The cap flexibility would be nice if we didn't absolutely need Rielly back, and maybe the negotiating position improves.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Unfortune, especially since with Sandin's injury it makes Marincin our 4 LD unless they want to use Liljegren and someone plays on their offside. But the actual 6 man group is still ok with Dermott and Lehtonen I think. Dermott was really good with Holl last year when Rielly and Muzzin were both hurt at the same time. Will be interesting to see how quickly he's back and how it affects his play. That combined with Dermott's play could lead to them gambling him via exposure to Vegas to protect someone else.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Apologize to all for this OT post but I can't resist.

This play from the 85 season was IMHO one of the most amazing plays in baseball history. I was listening to this on the radio as it happened and at that moment, I said that that's it, this is the year we break through and win the pennant. It just exemplified the spirit of that team.

It was the play that ended our catcher platoon as it put Martinez out for the season but holy crap what a play. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the only time in baseball history that a guy tagged out two guys at home plate on the same play, just incredible stuff!!

What a great memory of many outstanding memories , that’s what it takes to win championships and have dynasties with hard work and elite talent ..
Thank you for this

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't believe Dermott will need to be protected unless he is re-signed before the draft. I think he has the games played requirements now (70+ games total last season + this season), however.

The bigger issue is that there are four d-men ahead of him in terms of priority of protecting. If the Leafs opt to protect 7F/3D he's not making that top 3. If they protect 4 (bye, bye Hyman), he has to leapfrog Holl.

Great play now will help with his contract of course and if he is re-signed at a good AAV & exposed, then he'd make an attractive target for Seattle.

He'd be RFA and eligible to be taken by Seattle as an RFA. Players don't have to be signed to be eligible to be taken. Seattle can take pending UFAs too if they wanted to.

Reactions: kevsh

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’m interested to see how Holl performs without Muzzin.

Also time for Dermott to piss or get off the pot.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hope Muzz is okay.

This is why you don't trade Dermott heading into the playoffs.

Rielly Brodie
Dermott Bogosian
Lehtonen Holl
Sandin

Reactions: stickty111

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
OMG Muzz please get better soon.

Seriously f*** the habs. Who was the ahole that elbowed Muzz in the face?

Wasn't it Dermott who got elbowed in the face? I know Anderson elbowed Muzz in the back of the head after Muzz hit him in the corner and they both got roughing penalties. The likely cause was the high stick on the follow through of Toffoli just before he scored the 3rd Habs goal inside 2 minutes left.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wasn't it Dermott who got elbowed in the face? I know Anderson elbowed Muzz in the back of the head after Muzz hit him in the corner and they both got roughing penalties. The likely cause was the high stick on the follow through of Toffoli just before he scored the 3rd Habs goal inside 2 minutes left.

ohh right forgot about toffoli high stick. f***ing habs first with the crosschecks to the back of matthews then elbow to both dermott and muzz; those pos need to be fed their lunch.

can we get tucker and domi out of retirement? heck even Orr/McLaren would do for a couple games. Dont care about points just punch their stupid faces right into oblivion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad