Sportsnet: Jake Gardiner Talk

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Lmao, you don't deserve a good hockey team.
I don't deserve a good hockey team? I'm not among the morons around here who want to trade or release our best young players, then turn around and cheer for the resigning of one of the Leafs' biggest problems since 2013. Or screaming "you can't do that!" about the idea of trading the Leafs' OTHER big problem since 2013...

Gardiner and Kadri need to go. The remnants of the 2013 team need to be gone, because the Leafs chose to keep the worst pieces of that team. At this point, wipe the slate clean.

Oh, and Muzzin is twice the defenseman Gardiner is. Why in the f*** do you want to overpay for a guy who is ultimately going to be #5 on this team, unless we start playing BETTER defensemen out of position just for him?
There's no law that says they can't move Gardiner to the right side. There's countless d-men that play their off side and our top pairing for the last few years even had one. Just take away Babcock's options (Hainsey/Zaitsev) and we won't be wasting Gardiner or Dermott on the 3rd pairing left side anymore because he'll have no choice, but to play one of them on the right side
There's a wonderful idea. The guy is a mistake-prone gaffe machine on the left, so let's ask him to play a side he's never played in his hockey career and hope it's an improvement for a guy who's probably going to get $6-7 million from some moron team... Do you want to make our cap hell even worse for a chance that a right side Gardiner will be better than what Gardiner has been his whole damned career?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There's no law that says they can't move Gardiner to the right side. There's countless d-men that play their off side and our top pairing for the last few years even had one. Just take away Babcock's options (Hainsey/Zaitsev) and we won't be wasting Gardiner or Dermott on the 3rd pairing left side anymore because he'll have no choice, but to play one of them on the right side

If they resign him and nobody adapts to their off side that could be really bad. Plus he won't sign for peanuts and he will want term. Rielly's deal is up in 3 years so they need cheap D or at least ones likely to be tradeable if it comes to that. Jake was not a beast last season, I'm not sure why people are so attached to him. If the club wants to drop $6M on a D for the next six years lets get something they don't already have. Gards needs a club who will give him the Rielly job, thats where he is most valuable.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Someone will sign Jake Gardiner to a very bad contract this summer. Please don’t let it be Kyle Dubas.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I like Gardiner a great deal, but I consider Muzzin an upgrade, and we are stocked at LHD.

If there we no salary cap, Gardiner is on my team. Unfortunately, that isn’t reality and we have some pretty pressing needs.

I thank Gardiner for bleeding blue and white, and I hope he signs a great contract with someone (except the Habs), because he deserves it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd love him back. He's exactly what we'll be looking for if we lose him.

This part of the conversation between Mirtle & Draglikepull made some sense to me.

I'd be very tempted to so this if the team had enough capspace. Especially a deal that ended around the age of 35 for him.

Reactions: Morgs

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Points =/= offense.

Offense = Offense, something that Jake is excellent at driving, and something Dermott has so far lacked.

He's also well above average at preventing other teams from creating offense. Much much better than Rielly at it, much better than Hainsey, much better than Zaitsev, and about equal with Muzzin/Dermott.

Jake is fantastic, and people like you don't deserve what he brings to the team.

You might want to sell low on those Jake Gardiner jerseys collecting dust on your closet. Jake is and has always been a liability without the puck. To think other wise is lunacy.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
he's actually the leafs best defenseman but ok

At what? Turning he puck over? Choking in high pressure situations? Icing the puck? I agree, he’s a true talent in those regards.

I don’t care if he’s an amazing defenseman (which he isn’t) in games 22, 49, 67 or whatever of the regular season; when the chips are down in Game 7 he shits the bed every...single..time. You guys must love being a playoff embarrassment at this point

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
At what? Turning he puck over? Choking in high pressure situations? Icing the puck? I agree, he’s a true talent in those regards.

I don’t care if he’s an amazing defenseman (which he isn’t) in games 22, 49, 67 or whatever of the regular season; when the chips are down in Game 7 he ****s the bed every...single..time. You guys must love being a playoff embarrassment at this point

If you feel this way about Gardiner, what's your opinion of Andersen?

Andersen's performances in the last two game 7s are undoubtedly the worst on the team.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You might want to sell low on those Jake Gardiner jerseys collecting dust on your closet. Jake is and has always been a liability without the puck. To think other wise is lunacy.

We outscore the opposition at a devastating rate when Jake is on the ice. So, even if he is a liability defensively (he isn't), he more than makes up for it offensively.

This is an indisputable fact. 3 years of stats support this.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If you feel this way about Gardiner, what's your opinion of Andersen?

Andersen's performances in the last two game 7s are undoubtedly the worst on the team.

I’ve stated I’ve felt concerned about Andersen’s ability to get us over the hump in Game 7s. He’s only been here for what three seasons now though? I’ll give him one more chance to learn and adapt.

Gardiner has been here for years and years and years and he still makes the same dumbass mistakes without fail. He never learns and it’s past due to jettison this bum

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
We outscore the opposition at a devastating rate when Jake is on the ice. So, even if he is a liability defensively (he isn't), he more than makes up for it offensively.

BrannigansLaw is right. Gardiner has now been in the NHL for almost 10 seasons. He's 28 to be 29.
Despite this, he still makes the same boneheaded mistakes he did when he was a rookie, and is constantly costing the team games, advanced stats be damned. And now, in back-to-back Game 7's, he's been directly responsible for goals against. It's to the point where we hear opposing coaches admitting they LOVE when Babcock starts trying to line-match with his D-men, because it means they can manipulate him into playing Jake Gardiner more...

Not Muzzin. Not Reilly. Not everyone's favorite whipping boy, Zaitsev. Opposing teams are specifically trying to get Babcock to play GARDINER more. If he's such a great defenseman, why would the opposing teams love the idea of getting him out there so often?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I hope they don’t but maybe his back issue reduces interest in him? Signs a 1 year prove it contract relatively cheap showing that the back won’t be an issue and we get a suitable partner for him.

Maybe just maybe then won’t freak out lol

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I don't deserve a good hockey team? I'm not among the morons around here who want to trade or release our best young players, then turn around and cheer for the resigning of one of the Leafs' biggest problems since 2013. Or screaming "you can't do that!" about the idea of trading the Leafs' OTHER big problem since 2013...

Gardiner and Kadri need to go. The remnants of the 2013 team need to be gone, because the Leafs chose to keep the worst pieces of that team. At this point, wipe the slate clean.

Oh, and Muzzin is twice the defenseman Gardiner is. Why in the **** do you want to overpay for a guy who is ultimately going to be #5 on this team, unless we start playing BETTER defensemen out of position just for him?

There's a wonderful idea. The guy is a mistake-prone gaffe machine on the left, so let's ask him to play a side he's never played in his hockey career and hope it's an improvement for a guy who's probably going to get $6-7 million from some moron team... Do you want to make our cap hell even worse for a chance that a right side Gardiner will be better than what Gardiner has been his whole damned career?

Muzzin's had more turnovers and more costly turnovers last year.

They're both fantastic transition players, turnovers are part of their game. High-risk, high-reward with their passing. Muzzin is almost as good as Gardiner with his stick, but ten times better with physical play which is why I prefer Muzzin over Gardiner no doubt.

You're embarrassing yourself with your comments.

Reactions: Morgs

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
BrannigansLaw is right. Gardiner has now been in the NHL for almost 10 seasons. He's 28 to be 29.
Despite this, he still makes the same boneheaded mistakes he did when he was a rookie, and is constantly costing the team games, advanced stats be damned. And now, in back-to-back Game 7's, he's been directly responsible for goals against. It's to the point where we hear opposing coaches admitting they LOVE when Babcock starts trying to line-match with his D-men, because it means they can manipulate him into playing Jake Gardiner more...

Not Muzzin. Not Reilly. Not everyone's favorite whipping boy, Zaitsev. Opposing teams are specifically trying to get Babcock to play GARDINER more. If he's such a great defenseman, why would the opposing teams love the idea of getting him out there so often?

Please show one piece of evidence showing opposing teams loving the idea of getting to face him.

One. Piece. Of. Proof.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

So you are saying when our top forwards are on the ice with Jake we score at a devastating rate? Well that's a News Flash. I'm sure as you imply Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander are all shills without Jake.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
"If you don't agree with my opinion it's lunacy."

Looks like a real "mature debate" this adult engages in.

Well just because you think the earth is flat and I don't does not mean I'm immature. It means you have a loony belief. Sometimes facts matter.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Please show one piece of evidence showing opposing teams loving the idea of getting to face him.

One. Piece. Of. Proof.

I''m sure on retrospect, every Bruin will tell you they did not enjoy this experience ... the video clearly shows the frustration on the Bruins face, when time after time Jake makes a stellar defensive play and stymies the Bruins... Jake is f-ing fantastic.... right?

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Let's see. An aging 29 year old mistake prone non-physical defenseman with a bad back. Gonna want big bucks with term.

Just no Dubas.

This kind of sums it up. Was fun while it lasted. Time to go; don't overstay your welcome (if you haven't already).

Reactions: kb

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

I''m sure on retrospect, every Bruin will tell you they did not enjoy this experience ... the video clearly shows the frustration on the Bruins face, when time after time Jake makes a stellar defensive play and stymies the Bruins... Jake is f-ing fantastic.... right?

So there's no proof then? That's not what the poster said and that's not the proof I was talking about.

"It's to the point where we hear opposing coaches admitting they LOVE when Babcock starts trying to line-match with his D-men, because it means they can manipulate him into playing Jake Gardiner more..."

Show. Me. Proof.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It will be interesting, when Gardiner ends up on another team, and then he turns into a star in this league. Yes, he's made some bad gaffes, particularly in game 7's... but then look who our RD have been as his partners. His longer term track record, has been stellar. GA vs. GF, while on the ice, are hardly fancy stats. Of the D guys who started on the team last year, he had the best differential.... Muzzin was 0.1 better...

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad