Sportsnet: Jake Gardiner Talk

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I would be disappointed if they signed him. I don’t think he’s part of the solution. Would get rid of some losing culture in the room if they didn’t sign him and maybe make some guys uncomfortable.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I am a Jake fan, but the back issue scares me. Re-sign Muzzin with the dollars. And trade for and sign Trouba!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
While I agree it is best to let him go considering the cap constraints, I am concerned about the hole this will leave on the back end and how it will be filled.

I mean, our left side is find.

Rielly
Muzzin
Rosen

Then we have Dermott playing the right side when he returns.

To me, if we get enough cap room to spend 5+ on Gardiner, I would much rather go to Vegas, and offer a draft pick and/or a prospect to get Colin Miller for our right side. Cheaper, doesn't have a worn down back either.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Letting Zaitsev aka one of our two best defensive D and only RD go and to resign another offensive LD? Sounds very very wrong.

Reactions: zaqq

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
He says Toronto wants to keep him, if possible, and Gardiner wants to stay, but it comes down to when/if Marleau, Zaitsev and the like get moved.

NO. NO. NO.

The Leafs never want to win anything, do they? "Hey, this guy's choked multiple times in pressure situations and is a guy the opponents target in the playoffs because he's a mistake-prone gaffe machine, let's LOCK HIM UP! 8 more years of watching him cost us series!"

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I mean, our left side is find.

Rielly
Muzzin
Rosen

Then we have Dermott playing the right side when he returns.

To me, if we get enough cap room to spend 5+ on Gardiner, I would much rather go to Vegas, and offer a draft pick and/or a prospect to get Colin Miller for our right side. Cheaper, doesn't have a worn down back either.

Why not both?

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Miller
Dermott/Rosen-Liljegren/Dermott

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Friedman is just connecting dots here and there's nothing more to the story.

Gardiner essentially means that that Leafs won't be able to re-sign one of Muzzin, Kadri, Rielly, or Andersen in the future.

Time to move on.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I love Jughead and have been a fan since his days paired with Dion, lol, but we need to move on. If we can get Damien Severson, who is practically the younger RHD version of Jake, I'd be fine.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
its time to move on from Gardiner. I don't mind him as a dman but investing in him long term is a recipe for disaster. Already late 20's and having back issue etc. Polarizing for some fans, its just not worth using our tight cap on him

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
NO. NO. NO.

The Leafs never want to win anything, do they? "Hey, this guy's choked multiple times in pressure situations and is a guy the opponents target in the playoffs because he's a mistake-prone gaffe machine, let's LOCK HIM UP! 8 more years of watching him cost us series!"
Exactly what I was going to write. He's a good player but get's exposed in the playoffs. Time to move on.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Fingers crossed he ends up with a playoff team in the East.

We'd be pretty well guaranteed any Game 7 against that team for as long as he's there.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I would be disappointed if they signed him. I don’t think he’s part of the solution. Would get rid of some losing culture in the room if they didn’t sign him and maybe make some guys uncomfortable.
I don’t think they should sign him either but what about trading his rights if he’s in high demand why not get something for him

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Gardiner is a good hockey player who has value around the league, so if we are able to keep him from walking as a UFA, that's a win right there. But I really struggle to see where he fits in the defense core in the coming years.

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Those are good hockey players, but the entire top4 is left shots and I trade Gardiner if I have to trade one of them. I just don't see how he fits in our plans.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
yeah sure we could sign him.

but notwithstanding the contract itself, do we really want to bring a player who has repeatedly failed us in tough situations back?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think Friedman is just connecting dots here and there's nothing more to the story.

Gardiner essentially means that that Leafs won't be able to re-sign one of Muzzin, Kadri, Rielly, or Andersen in the future.

Time to move on.

The leafs have been talking about re signing gardiner for the whole year. That’s why I was sure marleau was gone.

I think it’s all up to Jake as to whether he wants to deal with the garbage that comes with playing here

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Letting Zaitsev aka one of our two best defensive D and only RD go and to resign another offensive LD? Sounds very very wrong.

You got that right. I like Gardiner, and I would have no problem with him on the team if, this is key, if there was a spot for him. But there isn't one. Gardiner was off the team the minute Muzzin put on his Leafs jersey. Too many offensive LDs in the kitchen.

I think he'll be a Blackhawk on July 1st. No chance he comes back to Toronto.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Gardiner should be retained. Sell Brown and/or Kadri if need be. Zaitsev and Marleau leaving opens this door.

If you don't retain Gardiner, then you have to get Erik Karlsson, or Stralman/Myers if you miss on EK. There's not a 20+ minute D-man of any handedness available after those three below 38, and no RHDs at all.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I'd love him back. He's exactly what we'll be looking for if we lose him.

This part of the conversation between Mirtle & Draglikepull made some sense to me.

For $5M, I would definitely go for Gardiner. It's a little steep right now but will be a steal for the majority of that contract.

Edit: Forgot about back issue. That may be too big a gamble

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Well, you're just incorrect lmao.
Clearly, it's all bullshit. Let's just ignore that teams work to manipulate Babcock into putting him out in pressure situations so they can take advantage of him. After all, he's got great advanced stats!

If you want a true example that advanced stats alone don't give you the full picture, it's Jake Gardiner.

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I will personally hire the best dominoes delivery guy to get the pizza party started in Ottawa, Edmonton, or wherever they want a pizza party.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad