Sportsnet: Jake Gardiner Talk

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yup and that's why more and more, I don't care about the name on the back of the jersey
Seems like the players sure want the fans to care about it when it comes to making them a fan favorite to help out with endorsements and whatever, but when it comes to helping the team win via taking less money (you know, what the fans truly care about) they just don't give 2 shits apparently.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Schultz was terrible in Edmonton but that was Edmonton. Since being in Pittsburgh he has been nothing but excellent. Nothing about his numbers in Edmonton ever made sense and I would love to see what Gardiner and Schultz could do together. They are great friends and were an amazing pairing in college.

He was also in his mid 30’s on our shit team. Gardiner developed beautifully. Lupul when heathy was extremely good for the leafs.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
if I was Dubas I would only sign him to a deal if Gardiner agrees that he might be traded before the trade deadline. Doubt he would go for it but it would be a good way to get maybe a first rounder back if we got prospects coming in. Sign him for 2 years at 5 mil and I’m sure he could have some good trade value by then

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I just shuddered thinking about that 2nd pairing hemmed in their own zone and Freddie getting absolutely peppered with shots.
I don't know. They might struggle to break a cycle at times, but that's also a pairing that if you lose the puck for a second, you'll spend the rest of the shift in your own zone. Gardiner never gets peppered, and I don't think having Barrie at his side instead of guys who, most of them, are fringe players will cause that to happen for the first time.

I expect them to be dominant, to be honest.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Gards can't keep it together when it matters most

Fyi
Did you mean Andersen?

tenor.gif

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I don't know. They might struggle to break a cycle at times, but that's also a pairing that if you lose the puck for a second, you'll spend the rest of the shift in your own zone. Gardiner never gets peppered, and I don't think having Barrie at his side instead of guys who, most of them, are fringe players will cause that to happen for the first time.

I expect them to be dominant, to be honest.

Probably one of the best pairings in the league if they were together. They'd probably be between 55%-60% corsi. Just dominance.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
With Gardiner instead of Ceci, we could have gone with:

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Barrie
Dermott-X

That would be an immensely strong group of defenders.

I'd go with Muzzin-Barrie and Gards-Rielly myself, but agreed it would be a very strong group.

The issue is that Ceci's salary is probably already earmarked for raises to the other defenders, and Gardiner will get a long-term deal. I'm going to miss him.

Reactions: AcerComputer

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
So Jake's Twitter page still says he is a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. I don't use Twitter and don't follow to closely with players but does anyone know how long it takes players before they change that? I mean it seems like he only has the one tweet from 2019 so just doesn't seem like he goes on it much.

As an aside his Instagram also still lists the Leafs...

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Not many RFAs actually care about each other or the team winning. It's all about the money.

We see players playing after the season, at the Olympics and in other venues where they don't get paid.

The money is important of course, but they're basically kids that love what they're doing and like most/some players that played competitive hockey in their youth they'd be playing for nothing now if they weren't so talented.

We've seen Gretzky, Orr, Sittler, McDonald and countless other great players be traded when it suited their teams so expecting players to be blindly loyal seems a stretch.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Just a rumour but I heard he may be injured and teams don't want to give him long term. With Marner unsigned and Barrie and Schmaltz now in, it is hard to see how Jake fit$ in.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Jake really wants to stay, and would easily welcome him back at a good price. If he comes back,
The defence looks something like this when healthy
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Gardiner-Dermott
Thats a great defense core. The only weak spot becomes Ceci, but you could always switch the pairings, and the other defencemen can make up for Ceci anyways.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think Jake really wants to stay, and would easily welcome him back at a good price. If he comes back,
The defence looks something like this when healthy
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Gardiner-Dermott
Thats a great defense core. The only weak spot becomes Ceci, but you could always switch the pairings, and the other defencemen can make up for Ceci anyways.

To make the money work you'd have to trade Ceci or buy him out, the buyout gets you about 4M in space even though that seems wildly unlikely

That's the only way I can get the money to work without Marner taking a huge hometown discount or trading somebody I wouldn't want to trade

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad