Sportsnet: Jake Gardiner Talk

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The hot takes here when it comes to Gardiner or Willy or when Kessel used to play here are brutal lol.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Rielly has put up elite offensive numbers from the back end something Gardiner never done. If you're going to be a soft offensive dman, at least have standout offensive numbers.
Hahahahahaha gotta love when people are clueless and shoot there mouth off, maybe get a clue and due your homework next time bud , Gards was put in the non offensive role his numbers by all metrics have him top twenty career both ways , Morgan Lebda gets 2 years where he gets to give it to Mitch on the PP and Mitch will make the next guy score giving Morgan Lebda a charity point everytime and you think that makes him elite ? yeah right , he gets walked more than my neighbours incontinent dog on the back end to boot .Figure it out eh!

Reactions: mulefarm

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hahahahahaha gotta love when people are clueless and shoot there mouth off, maybe get a clue and due your homework next time bud , Gards was put in the non offensive role his numbers by all metrics have him top twenty career both ways , Morgan Lebda gets 2 years where he gets to give it to Mitch on the PP and Mitch will make the next guy score giving Morgan Lebda a charity point everytime and you think that makes him elite ? yeah right , he gets walked more than my neighbours incontinent dog on the back end to boot .Figure it out eh!
He has. You haven't.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Rielly has put up elite offensive numbers from the back end something Gardiner never done. If you're going to be a soft offensive dman, at least have standout offensive numbers.

In no means is Jake Gardiner in Morgan Rielly's territory, but really should he be? There's a huge difference between players drafted in the top-10 and those that fall below that.
Almost make it sound like Morgan Rielly has been heads and shoulders above Jake Gardiner so far.

Morgan Rielly 1.45 P/60 .30 G/60 1.14 A/60 5th overall
Jake Gardiner 1.25 P/60 .23 G/60 1.02 A/60 17th overall

In the last three seasons, Gardiner is a +52, Reilly is a 0. Personally I think Gardiner came back last season a little more tentative, and perhaps a better player for it.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Really, because Gardiner ranks 13th among all d-man in even strength points over the last three years and if he didn't miss 20 games this year he would have likely ranked top 10. Here are the players above him:

Brent Burns
Erik Karlsson
Roman Josi
Victor Hedman
Seth Jones
John Klingberg
Morgan Rielly
Dougie Hamilton
Duncan Keith
Mark Giordano
Alex Pietrangelo
John Carlson

Every single one of those defenseman is considered to be elite offensively, and so should Jake Gardiner

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
In no means is Jake Gardiner in Morgan Rielly's territory, but really should he be? There's a huge difference between players drafted in the top-10 and those that fall below that.
Almost make it sound like Morgan Rielly has been heads and shoulders above Jake Gardiner so far.

Morgan Rielly 1.45 P/60 .30 G/60 1.14 A/60 5th overall
Jake Gardiner 1.25 P/60 .23 G/60 1.02 A/60 17th overall

In the last three seasons, Gardiner is a +52, Reilly is a 0. Personally I think Gardiner came back last season a little more tentative, and perhaps a better player for it.
I agree you could tell he was working on his d game. But again. . if you're gonna be a soft defender..... Better balance it with potent offense. His offense completely dried up And then there was game 7 #3. Time to move on from Jake. Especially now that his back is in question. I don't even want him healthy. I like stability on my blue line. he's not that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Fail post.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Rielly isn't what I'd call a physical defenseman, but he's far from soft.
Some of you guys around here are way too fixated on this idea of "soft" players and "soft" team.
Rielly doesn't play small.
And this team didn't lose to Boston, either this year or the year before because of softness or grit issues.
This isn't a matter of opinion. Anyone insinuating otherwise is just wrong.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly isn't what I'd call a physical defenseman, but he's far from soft.
Some of you guys around here are way too fixated on this idea of "soft" players and "soft" team.
Rielly doesn't play small.
And this team didn't lose to Boston, either this year or the year before because of softness or grit issues.
This isn't a matter of opinion. Anyone insinuating otherwise is just wrong.
We can agree to disagree on that opinion. Rielly is soft. Super soft. But it does not matter he can skate like the wind. and he can lug the puck up ice. and he is now a threat to make better offensive plays. Where he gets into trouble is with a hard fore check and then a pressing cycle. He does not have the ability to stop that game. With a more aggressive partner who can free up the cycle with some physical play i think you will see an even better Rielly next year.

Reactions: dsred

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We can agree to disagree on that opinion. Rielly is soft. Super soft. But it does not matter he can skate like the wind. and he can lug the puck up ice. and he is now a threat to make better offensive plays. Where he gets into trouble is with a hard fore check and then a pressing cycle. He does not have the ability to stop that game. With a more aggressive partner who can free up the cycle with some physical play i think you will see an even better Rielly next year.

Unless you throw open ice hits and fight you are soft according to this board. Look at the teams going deep, none are icing lineups full of these guys.

Some of you need to watch other teams, not just for this stuff, but to reset reality of how good other teams bottom end guys are. The way people talk about our #6 D and stuff they act like other teams have top 4 D all through their lineup.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Unless you throw open ice hits and fight you are soft according to this board. Look at the teams going deep, none are icing lineups full of these guys.

Some of you need to watch other teams, not just for this stuff, but to reset reality of how good other teams bottom end guys are. The way people talk about our #6 D and stuff they act like other teams have top 4 D all through their lineup.

Yep. Theres little context for most folks when trying to discuss the Leafs D.

Some folks as if every other team as 3-4 top pairing quality guys. Which is a joke

Reactions: mulefarm

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Looking like he may end up one of the smartest ufa signings of the offseason. Especially if a team gets him at 5nyears.or less of ter.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Looking like he may end up one of the smartest ufa signings of the offseason. Especially if a team gets him at 5nyears.or less of ter.

Obviously the other teams see the same thing as many Leaf fans, or his back issues are scaring them away. Perhaps teams that were interested have had MRI;s done and are spooked at what they have seen.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Obviously the other teams see the same thing as many Leaf fans, or his back issues are scaring them away. Perhaps teams that were interested have had MRI;s done and are spooked at what they have seen.

Cap is the biggest obstacle for theeafs likely I'd aav rather than health. Theres no room to sign him if they intend on keeping Marner

Hed have to pass a physical regardless of signing a deal too. Its not like he can hide anything

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Cap is the biggest obstacle for theeafs likely I'd aav rather than health. Theres no room to sign him if they intend on keeping Marner

Hed have to pass a physical regardless of signing a deal too. Its not like he can hide anything

Perhaps the Leafs and Gardiner have a deal but first the Leafs have to clear space by getting rid of a 6 million contract, come on down Nylander so the Leafs get a good prospect and draft picks and add Gardiner. Speculation only on my part.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Is this serious?

Reactions: Beanzy

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Perhaps the Leafs and Gardiner have a deal but first the Leafs have to clear space by getting rid of a 6 million contract, come on down Nylander so the Leafs get a good prospect and draft picks and add Gardiner. Speculation only on my part.

Could also be Matthews. You never know

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
with Shattenkirk, Stone, and Petrovic all on the market available for likely cheap short term contracts, we should not be looking at bringing back Gardiner. Won't make sense unless he takes less than 2M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad