Sportsnet: Jake Gardiner Talk

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
To make the money work you'd have to trade Ceci or buy him out, the buyout gets you about 4M in space even though that seems wildly unlikely

That's the only way I can get the money to work without Marner taking a huge hometown discount or trading somebody I wouldn't want to trade
If Gardiner signed for 1 year at league minimum it could still work. Idk how performance bonuses work but you could give him one of those at like 5 million dollars and if he reaches his bonuses it then becomes next years problem.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
If Gardiner signed for 1 year at league minimum it could still work. Idk how performance bonuses work but you could give him one of those at like 5 million dollars and if he reaches his bonuses it then becomes next years problem.

You can only give peformance bonuses on ELC and 35+ contracts, so they wouldn't be an option for him. (We actually have to be careful with performance bonuses anyway because there's another cap squeeze next year as we'll no longer have the 50% discount on Barrie - who will want a raise to boot - and Dermott is off his ELC.)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gards is not getting the term he wants - 7 years. Minny and Edmonton - 3 years max. This is the holdup. Could be a long summer wait for Gards. Who will be the first to blink?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Without a doubt. Even if he'd take $5m. He's a steal at that number.

He's not a steal at 5 mill. He's just not the stupid overpayment everyone expected him to receive in UFA, which looks like is not going to happen anymore anyways. So at this point, 5 mill is a massive overpayment. A steal would be getting him for less than he's making right now, because after the season he just had and his perceived value as a result, he would be lucky to be making what he did last year.

The guy is 29 right now. The best you can expect out of him for the next 3-5 years is some 40-50 point performances in a sheltered role with 2PP minutes, and pray that he doesn't cost you with his defensive unreliability. Essentially, that he can repeat his past 3 years minus the injuries and putrid playoff performances. Problem is, he's not good enough for 2PP minutes on the Leafs anymore, we are already having to shelter Barrie and any other cushy minutes should go to Rielly considering he's a far more productive defenseman than Gardiner when given them, and we shouldn't be trying to figure out how to fit a defenseman who is far from an ideal fit for the playoffs into a playoff lineup. We definitely shouldn't be paying the guy for that honour.

I'd avoid him altogether, and if I were Gardiner, I would just take the best offer 1 year offer from a team, hopefully one good enough to compete for the playoffs, like Simmonds did with NJD and bet on myself for next year UFA period. That's all he can do at this point, because he has no leverage.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think his original ask may have been too high and some clubs ended up spending their money elsewhere. He makes the Leafs a better team this season but I would probably not want to see him play ahead of Dermott this year or Sandin next. If he wants to do the club a massive favor and sign $2 x 2 I would sign him for the season and trade him over the summer but that would be stupid on his part and nothing else makes any sense for the team. He may have to take a crap 1 yr deal with another club and get his term next season, or there may already be $5 x 5 somewhere out there and he just wants to amp it up.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
To make the money work you'd have to trade Ceci or buy him out, the buyout gets you about 4M in space even though that seems wildly unlikely

That's the only way I can get the money to work without Marner taking a huge hometown discount or trading somebody I wouldn't want to trade

I would guess that the $4.5M that they are paying Ceci this year has already been earmarked for Barrie next season, so I doubt even that would help the Gardiner situation.

Unless that could convince him to sign a 1 year deal.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This situation must be getting dire for Gardiner.

You have to wonder if he's going to get signed by cash strapped teams (hard cap or restricted) like AZ or OTT.

August is 3 days away and he's going to have to report for camp somewhere in due time.

In real estate if no one is bidding on your house you eventually have to consider lowering your listing price.

Reactions: dsred

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
He's not a steal at 5 mill. He's just not the stupid overpayment everyone expected him to receive in UFA, which looks like is not going to happen anymore anyways. So at this point, 5 mill is a massive overpayment. A steal would be getting him for less than he's making right now, because after the season he just had and his perceived value as a result, he would be lucky to be making what he did last year.

The guy is 29 right now. The best you can expect out of him for the next 3-5 years is some 40-50 point performances in a sheltered role with 2PP minutes, and pray that he doesn't cost you with his defensive unreliability. Essentially, that he can repeat his past 3 years minus the injuries and putrid playoff performances. Problem is, he's not good enough for 2PP minutes on the Leafs anymore, we are already having to shelter Barrie and any other cushy minutes should go to Rielly considering he's a far more productive defenseman than Gardiner when given them, and we shouldn't be trying to figure out how to fit a defenseman who is far from an ideal fit for the playoffs into a playoff lineup. We definitely shouldn't be paying the guy for that honour.

I'd avoid him altogether, and if I were Gardiner, I would just take the best offer 1 year offer from a team, hopefully one good enough to compete for the playoffs, like Simmonds did with NJD and bet on myself for next year UFA period. That's all he can do at this point, because he has no leverage.

30 dmen in the NHL got 40 points last season, so scoffing at that number like it's insignificant is nuts.

His point totals will go down because he won't be given sufficient offensive opportunity with Rielly and Barrie around, but he's arguably the best 5-v-5 defenseman on the team (look at his effect on GF%). If he's willing to come back on a one-year deal, he's absolutely worth bringing back.

If they can bridge Marner for a cheaper price for a year or two, and squeeze Gardiner in for this season, it should be considered. The team would be absolutely loaded.

Beanzy

Nov 14, 2018
I still don't understand the desperation to bring Gardiner back when our left side is set and we have more than enough offensive fire power on D. He was unreliable defensively on many occasions and a fan whipping-boy. Let's move on.

The desperate, hypothetical scenarios people are throwing around to try and fit Gardiner in our lineup and under the cap are totally impractical. We still have to sign our best winger.

I'm getting the feeling some of these posters are just clinging to every last bit of hope and desperately don't want to retire their Gardiner jerseys to the depths of their closets.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I still don't understand the desperation to bring Gardiner back when our left side is set and we have more than enough offensive fire power on D. He was unreliable defensively on many occasions and a fan whipping-boy. Let's move on.

The desperate, hypothetical scenarios people are throwing around to try and fit Gardiner in our lineup and under the cap are totally impractical. We still have to sign our best winger.

I'm getting the feeling some of these posters are just clinging to every last bit of hope and desperately don't want to retire their Gardiner jerseys to the depths of their closets.

Acquiring players that are undervalued is almost always a good move. If we can fit him in, our defense would be absolutely loaded.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A hot one today boys. Time for dinner and prizes. No one even talking Gards here. That ship sailed. Team looking to tighten up defensively with year with more size on the backend.

Reactions: dsred and Beanzy

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
30 dmen in the NHL got 40 points last season, so scoffing at that number like it's insignificant is nuts.

His point totals will go down because he won't be given sufficient offensive opportunity with Rielly and Barrie around, but he's arguably the best 5-v-5 defenseman on the team (look at his effect on GF%). If he's willing to come back on a one-year deal, he's absolutely worth bringing back.

If they can bridge Marner for a cheaper price for a year or two, and squeeze Gardiner in for this season, it should be considered. The team would be absolutely loaded.

He is so soft, man, it's unbelievable. Softer than even Willy. He also makes the worst decisions at the worst possible time. No, thanks. Not a fan of his game at all. I am so tired of his softness and boneheaded plays, so so tired.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

This post is a prime example of two things:

1) Leafs' homers over rating Leafs players.
2) Advanced stats are junk.

Source: 31 NHL GMs.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
He is so soft, man, it's unbelievable. Softer than even Willy. He also makes the worst decisions at the worst possible time. No, thanks. Not a fan of his game at all. I am so tired of his softness and boneheaded plays, so so tired.

Have you watched Rielly?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Wait till you see Cody Ceci play; you will die from exhaustion!

Reactions: Suntouchable13

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Acquiring players that are undervalued is almost always a good move. If we can fit him in, our defense would be absolutely loaded.

But loaded with what? Loaded with a top 4 guy with no physical game and average D being wasted on 3rd pair minutes.

Reactions: Beanzy

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Just a rumour but I heard he may be injured and teams don't want to give him long term. With Marner unsigned and Barrie and Schmaltz now in, it is hard to see how Jake fit$ in.
an uninjured Jake is indeed a good deal at 5mil per, but we as well should be leery of signing him.

Sep 18, 2009

Loaded with softies who can't play defense

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm with you. So many bad decisions and at the worst times too. He's not a smart player at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad