Sep 8, 2004
I'd think the Oilers would be (or should be) all-in
i'd peg a 5-7 year deal 6~7 depending on term

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
:laugh:

Yep !

All these posts in the week since this thread started really show a lot of interest from the so-called "haters".

Back to the drawing board.

To be fair, most of the hate Jake receives is from his own fanbase. A lot of fans value grit over skill and Jake is the type of player that would rather exit the zone via smooth skating or a breakout pass then lay someone out with a massive hit. Also, I think most people are hard pressed to deny the impact his injury has had on the teams performance and that the Leafs perceived defensive weakness is likely not tied to him as much as people would have liked to have perceived. They're worse without Jake, that much is obvious. I wish the Leafs could find a way to sign him. I'm just not sure how unless they manage to sell off some more expensive, less desirable players by packaging them with assets.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
A source for the Hamilton times is saying 6 for 24.5
That sounds pretty light. I don't know why'd take a pay cut from his current salary given his performance increase since then. He's not taking less money then Mike Green. If he does, its because he really believes the Leafs have a chance at a cup.

Reactions: teddygmr

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Justin Schultz money at the least... kevin Shattenkirk.... keith Yandle

theres always someone that will pay a guy like this... in fact many someones will

please dear god let it never ever ever ever be my team

on the other hand if you think Schultz, or Shattenkirk, or Yandle were good signings you are probably hoping gardiner will join your team next year

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Leafs have about 15 mil in cap space and still need to sign Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson. There's about a zero percent chance we're able to retain gardiner, even if brown and hyman are traded. Under 20 mil for Marner, Kap, Johnsson, and Gardiner is really unrealistic, unless Marner takes a big discount (9m) and Kap and Johnsson are both signed for small bridges (2.5 each). It could have been doable (and maybe even probable) but the Leafs decided to trade for Muzzin in what could possibly go down as one of the worst trades in the Shanahan era.

Reactions: Devonator

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Leafs have about 15 mil in cap space and still need to sign Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson. There's about a zero percent chance we're able to retain gardiner, even if brown and hyman are traded. Under 20 mil for Marner, Kap, Johnsson, and Gardiner is really unrealistic, unless Marner takes a big discount (9m) and Kap and Johnsson are both signed for small bridges (2.5 each). It could have been doable (and maybe even probable) but the Leafs decided to trade for Muzzin in what could possibly go down as one of the worst trades in the Shanahan era.

How is the Muzzin trade bad?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'd think the Oilers would be (or should be) all-in
i'd peg a 5-7 year deal 6~7 depending on term

I would like the Oilers to add him as well . Would need to move 2 D men . Russell or Sekera + Manning or Benning . Rather keep Sekera and Benning

Gardiner Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Nurse Benning

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Most underrated player I've seen on this board in awhile. Making a lot of my fellow Leaf fans look really stupid with his absence from the lineup.

He'll get payed and he deserves it.

Reactions: Devonator

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Not only is karlson going to get fat paid hes going to lift the average for defense. Gardner is a b list top pairing guy but he'll wind up paid in the upper tier. 6.5 at the lowest

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
That would be more than Ellis, McDonagh, Fowler and Shattenkirk, as much as Vlasic, and almost as much as Hedman

He also will only end the year with around 30 pts

I am guessing he gets 5.25-6.25 at most

I disagree. Weve seen the insane contracts coming out lately. Look at the Crazy Mark Stone in Vegas. Yes he’s a forward, but that dude got paid. We’re talking about a legit top pairing defenseman. If Ekblad can get 8 years 7.5 million. I’m saying someone’s gonna easily offer 7 million 8 years.

Reactions: malcb33

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Not only is karlson going to get fat paid hes going to lift the average for defense. Gardner is a b list top pairing guy but he'll wind up paid in the upper tier. 6.5 at the lowest

That was my point of my post after you. People are paying big money on forwards. We haven’t even gotten to the UFA Defenseman yet. I got a gut Feeling Trouba is gonna be setting the bar soon on Defenseman. And Gardiner is gonna follow suit

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I disagree. Weve seen the insane contracts coming out lately. Look at the Crazy Mark Stone in Vegas. Yes he’s a forward, but that dude got paid. We’re talking about a legit top pairing defenseman. If Ekblad can get 8 years 7.5 million. I’m saying someone’s gonna easily offer 7 million 8 years.

Stone's deal is perfectly fine. He took 1.5mil less than Tavares

Ekblad was signed 1 yr removed from winning the Calder at the age of 18, he was lauded as a future franchise D and even that deal had immediate detractors. I showed you examples of UFA D getting less despite being better, I dont think you can make a case that a single UFA D who got more than that is worse than Gardiner. In no sense of the word is he a legit top pairing DMan, he's a good player but is better suited to the 2nd pair. He also cannot get 7mil 8 years from any team but Toronto and I doubt any team would offer that even if they could

Reactions: bert

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
6x6 is his floor / potential hometown discount price

I expect he will get 7x7 on the open market.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think he'll get that much term. I think he'll get a contract similar to JvR. 7x5 years or 7x6 years

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Stone's deal is perfectly fine. He took 1.5mil less than Tavares

Stone wasn't a UFA with teams free to bid for his services and had career highs of 28 goals and 64 points. Tavares topped Stone's career bests almost every single year of his career. Also plays centre, which usually gets you about a 12% pay bump.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Stone wasn't a UFA with teams free to bid for his services and had career highs of 28 goals and 64 points. Tavares topped Stone's career bests almost every single year of his career. Also plays centre, which usually gets you about a 12% pay bump.

Stone is younger, a better two-way player and has been PPG the last two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad