Speculation: Jake Gardiner’s UFA contract

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Why would the Habs or Canucks have to pay more than
TO? Likely Gardiner heads south anyway, so he can play in anonymity. I still see him getting 7 from a US team.
I don’t think it’s that unusual for a player to sign with their home team for less than market value. Jake could realistically favor signing with Toronto due to the familiarity and stability for his wife and 1 and a half year old , desire to remain on a playoff team in a key role, relationship with existing players, and the simple fact he could be signed prior to opening negotions with other teams. I wouldn’t be that surprised if he gets 7 either, that’s not astronomically higher than what I predicted.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Maybe the Leafs replace Gardiner with a UFA who costs a lot less?

There is no UFA that the Leaves can sign that would replace Gardiner with the cap space they are going to have. Roman Polak is an UFA, they could probably sign him again.

Clearly with a comment like that shows that you are just a stat watcher and haven't actually watched any games if you think the reason the Leafs haven't been playing well is because Gardiner isn't in the line up.

You're right, it's probably because outside of maybe two or three players, they are a terrible team. Gardiner being out just amplifies this.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
There is no UFA that the Leaves can sign that would replace Gardiner with the cap space they are going to have. Roman Polak is an UFA, they could probably sign him again.

You're right, it's probably because outside of maybe two or three players, they are a terrible team. Gardiner being out just amplifies this.

Yup terrible team.. you are sooo right!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Are we looking to replace Gardiner or get better? You might get someone with less offense but better defensively (funny thing is those guys are also substantially cheaper). We have decent pieces coming but not yet ready.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Lol. Which Liljegren are you pretending you’re watching? Timmy ain’t ready for the show.
He was the youngest defender in the AHL last year and has managed to adjust to the game. Also, he shoots right, which means the Leafs better hope he is ready for the third pairing because Hainsey (who plays on the right side despite shooting left) is likely gone for next season (and is getting brutally exposed many nights now anyway) and that just leaves Zaitsev as the Buds only significant roster player who shoots right/playes that side of the ice.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
No mention of Sandin? He's been a revelation w the marlies, and clearly has performed beyond liljgren this season. Whether he becomes a better nhl play well see but he's tracking phenomenally
Sandin shoots left. Even with Gardiner gone Toronto has Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott all currently on the roster who are natural LHDs and play that side of the ice. On the right they have Zaitsev and Hainsey (who shoots left but plays right) and Hainsey is likely gone after this season (and really shouldn’t be loghing the kind of minutes he is tight now anyway). Liljegren shoots right, where the Leafs look to have not one but two gaping holes in their roster, so him developing to the point where he can take a regular third pairing shift next season is pretty crucial.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Lol. Which Liljegren are you pretending you’re watching? Timmy ain’t ready for the show.

Liljegren should most likely be ready for sheltered 3rd pairing minutes next year, he's been relied on heavily on the Marlies

Honestly, unless the back injury is serious, Gardiner will make the team that signs him very happy. I think he'll be a Keith Yandle/Brian Campbell-esque signing

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Are we looking to replace Gardiner or get better? You might get someone with less offense but better defensively (funny thing is those guys are also substantially cheaper). We have decent pieces coming but not yet ready.

It would depend on what the plan is for Dubas and Babcock. All out offense trying to win or maybe do something about the defense. If they go the defensive route, a good defensive d-man will still cost 3MM. They can't afford that.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It would depend on what the plan is for Dubas and Babcock. All out offense trying to win or maybe do something about the defense. If they go the defensive route, a good defensive d-man will still cost 3MM. They can't afford that.

Fairly certain they can manage $3 M.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Yup terrible team.. you are sooo right!
Yeah I mean the leafs are awful once you subtract Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Kadri, Andersen, ince you get past that your best player is Kasperi Kapanen? How good can a team be if Kapanen is your #1 center??? WELL? HOW GOOD?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yeah I mean the leafs are awful once you subtract Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Kadri, Andersen, ince you get past that your best player is Kasperi Kapanen? How good can a team be if Kapanen is your #1 center??? WELL? HOW GOOD?
Is your user name really Nervousbreakdown ?

That might explain the post I just read. :blush:

Reactions: north49er

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Whichever team offers him 7m per year is ****ed. Hopefully, the Habs stay away.

Habs should be after Gardiner at anything less than 7, and/or any term 5 years or less.

He would fit perfectly with Shea; as Shea would enable him to play offensively without the same repercussions as when he plays with whatever scraps are left for him in Toronto.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I’m guessing his new contract starts with a 6........not a 7.

And the team that signs him will have wished it started with a 4. He’s this years overpaid UFA player for sure. His defensive lapses are horrible and decision making is heavily questionable for a player his age. He plays like a rookie.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Whatever he gets, I hope Krug takes less and a hometown discount

Didn't he threaten to go to the K during his last negotiation?

Habs should be after Gardiner at anything less than 7, and/or any term 5 years or less.

He would fit perfectly with Shea; as Shea would enable him to play offensively without the same repercussions as when he plays with whatever scraps are left for him in Toronto.

You may get one of those, but 2i seriously doubt will happen. I honestly could see him getting a similar contract as Yandle with Florida.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Didn't he threaten to go to the K during his last negotiation?

You may get one of those, but 2i seriously doubt will happen. I honestly could see him getting a similar contract as Yandle with Florida.

For sure, but I would be fine with 7x5 or 5.5-6x7.

He would fit in Montreal ... like really really well.

Reactions: grapes55

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Certainly the Leafs don't have the cap or the desire or resign him. Gardiner should be at this peak, which makes him OK but certainly a risk going forward on a long term deal.
6m X 4 years might be fair for team that is looking for a offensive guy, but just average defensively and has the brain cramps. So if 6 X 4 is reasonable does some team go 7m X 6?
Gardiner hasn't missed many games throughout the years,. Too bad he has this injury which might limit his suitors. You would think he needs to a strong playoff to erase memories of his game seven of 2018.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Sandin was about to be called up-still should IMO
This was always going to be overcook the kids and make the Leafs play them.
Rosen and Borgman are also signed. Liljegren will help as well with offense, along with the
best Rasmus in all the division.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sandin shoots left. Even with Gardiner gone Toronto has Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott all currently on the roster who are natural LHDs and play that side of the ice. On the right they have Zaitsev and Hainsey (who shoots left but plays right) and Hainsey is likely gone after this season (and really shouldn’t be loghing the kind of minutes he is tight now anyway). Liljegren shoots right, where the Leafs look to have not one but two gaping holes in their roster, so him developing to the point where he can take a regular third pairing shift next season is pretty crucial.

Rielly and Dermott both have the ability to play the right side. If Sandin forces their hand they'll make it work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad