Speculation: Jake Gardiner’s UFA contract

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sandin was about to be called up-still should IMO
This was always going to be overcook the kids and make the Leafs play them.
Rosen and Borgman are also signed. Liljegren will help as well with offense, along with the
best Rasmus in all the division.

Keeping Sandin down this year also keeps him exempt from expansion draft

Reactions: NoName

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Sandin was about to be called up-still should IMO
This was always going to be overcook the kids and make the Leafs play them.
Rosen and Borgman are also signed. Liljegren will help as well with offense, along with the
best Rasmus in all the division.

It's nice that for $750,000 they can bring in the AHL d-man with the second highest Pts/GP in the league and for $842,500 they can bring in the forward who is one point shy of leading the AHL in scoring. This affords certain luxuries, such as leaving guys like Sandin and Liljegren to further develop.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Yeah I mean the leafs are awful once you subtract Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Kadri, Andersen, ince you get past that your best player is Kasperi Kapanen? How good can a team be if Kapanen is your #1 center??? WELL? HOW GOOD?

You can say that about everyteam in the league. Give your head a shake. Lets take away Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray from Pittsburgh or Kane, Keith, Toews, Seabrook from Chicago. Come on man.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Keeping Sandin down this year also keeps him exempt from expansion draft
Are you sure? I think players playing in the AHL with their NHL affiliated team are exposed.

I don't think it matters if he plays in the NHL or AHL, it's considered professional experience

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Are you sure? I think players playing in the AHL with their NHL affiliated team are exposed.

I don't think it matters if he plays in the NHL or AHL, it's considered professional experience

For 18 or 19 year old players, AHL games don't count as pro games

NHL Expansion Draft Rules - A Primer

All players with fewer than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt from selection. This also includes unsigned draft picks, and signed players that have yet to play a game.
A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract.

*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league.

Reactions: jfhabs

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
4 years @ $22.5M (5.625M AAV) would be fair for both parties

But we all know he's getting $7M/year

I don't know about you, but if a team (or multiple teams) offered me $7 million or in that range, then I wouldn't think $5.625M per year is fair. Fair is what you can get.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can see Det going after EK and if they lose out on that overpay for Gardiner

Every team who misses out on Karlsson will immediately turn to Gardiner. I'm pretty sure he's going to be the second highest-paid UFA defenseman. I'm quite worried our idiot GM in Vancouver is going to offer him something really stupid.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
I could see Kenny Holland throwing crazy money at Jake Gardiner, Probably in the 7 x 7 range.

For the love of Christ, no. I don't think Holland has the luxury of an open check book and spending to the cap anymore. The only player in free agency they should throw term and money at is Karlsson just to show that they did their due dilligence and when he doesn't sign, re-up RFA's and go from there. This team has a bunch of garbage on the blueline locked up for term, we don't need to add another piece that's going to block the development of Hronek/Cholowski..

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Every team who misses out on Karlsson will immediately turn to Gardiner. I'm pretty sure he's going to be the second highest-paid UFA defenseman. I'm quite worried our idiot GM in Vancouver is going to offer him something really stupid.

Better you than us! Although our GM has been doing great at stockpiling draft picks and kickstart a semblance of a rebuild, his legacy will always partially be hampered by his FA signings

Our team though is getting younger and we're gaining quite a bit of cap space and I can think of worse players to crack the piggybank on

Reactions: TruGr1t

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
A Stanley Cup winning, 50 point puck carrying D is going to look very attractive this summer. 7 x 7 at least.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
4 years @ $22.5M (5.625M AAV) would be fair for both parties

But we all know he's getting $7M/year

That would be more than Ellis, McDonagh, Fowler and Shattenkirk, as much as Vlasic, and almost as much as Hedman

He also will only end the year with around 30 pts

I am guessing he gets 5.25-6.25 at most

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->