Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Not a chance. I'm far from a Danault defender here but that's selling him short. What he does on the defensive aspect of the game versus the best players in the game is pretty remarkable. Evans plays 12 minutes on a 4th line mate..Let's not go crazy.
I’m in no way trying to sell Danault short, I get its 6GP into the beginning of a season, having played defensively deficient opponents.

It’s more a question of whether Evans’ ceiling is potentially much higher than expected due to his seeming ability to learn on the fly? Specifically the latter part of the statement- how much more is Evans capable of learning on the fly and translating that learning into game action?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I’m in no way trying to sell Danault short, I get its 6GP into the beginning of a season, having played defensively deficient opponents.

It’s more a question of whether Evans’ ceiling is potentially much higher than expected due to his seeming ability to learn on the fly? Specifically the latter part of the statement- how much more is Evans capable of learning on the fly and translating that learning into game action?

Honestly don't know enough about Evans to have an idea on his ceiling. For this year, I'm very happy if he can just solidify himself as a bottom 6 player on the 4th line. If he keeps producing from there, would be interesting to see him get some PP time to see if his offense can grow.

Reactions: DAChampion

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

At the age of 24 Evans' development is pretty much completed. He will get more confident and consistent with experience, but there won't be any transformative changes in his skillset.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
At the age of 24 Evans' development is pretty much completed. He will get more confident and consistent with experience, but there won't be any transformative changes in his skillset.
IMO he’s got better “pure skill set” at present than Danault (speed, shot, hands) - add to it the speed quotient improved considerably from age 23-24.

Which is why I’m just curious of potential ceiling - that’s all. Will need to wait and see if that potential manifests.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
IMO he’s got better “pure skill set” at present than Danault (speed, shot, hands) - add to it the speed quotient improved considerably from age 23-24.

Which is why I’m just curious of potential ceiling - that’s all. Will need to wait and see if that potential manifests.
The only skill that he has over Danault is his shot imo. We really are guilty of drawing far reaching conclusions based on very small samples.

I'm a fan of Evans. Him developing into a good #4C is certainly a possibility. But I wouldn't expect much more than that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The only skill that he has over Danault is his shot imo. We really are guilty of drawing far reaching conclusions based on very small samples.

I'm a fan of Evans. Him developing into a good #4C is certainly a possibility. But I wouldn't expect much more than that.

After last year I said many times I thought Evan's had more offensive upside than Armia, Lehkonen, and Byron, if we needed a a WINGER inbthe top 9.

It's more than his shot. He's a smart player with good vision and passing skills that has decent size and is able to go to the net. Now that he's increased his speed, well that's huge for him.

Having said that, Danault covers the ice so well and is probably a more effortless skater, which combined with his work ethic, allows him to dart up and down the ice, interspersed with hard digging in the corners. I'm not sure many, let alone Evan's can do that.

So, if Evans is ever to reach or surpass Danault as a two way C, it will have to be using a different combination of strengths. Evan's is more cerebral with skills. Danault is more energy, sustained speed, ability to play ultra fast, and high defensive iq.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Watching Evans, he reminds me a lot of Louis Leblanc in his rookie season with the Habs prior to playing for Lefebrve in the AHL - both #71, RH shots, work hard, solid defensively with some offence to their games.

After getting sent down to the AHL Leblanc's career went downhill after having to deal with Lefebrve, while Evans was able to play for a coach who pushed him and brought out the best in him. Obviously Evans has worked his ass off to improve and get where he is, but it just shows how important having a coach who wants young players to succeed like Bouchard is.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Been impressive so far ,that line keeps the opposition hemmed in for much of their shifts and gets a few looks to score as well.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Evans is gonna get scratched soon if he can't do better in the FO circle.

1/8 for a 4th line center is brutal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
When MB opted to roll with 3 young, inexperienced centers he had to know there would be a lot of growing pains. Evans should get there since he was always so good on draws, might not be this year or who knows when.

That said if Vejdemo keeps up his play it wouldn't hurt to consider flipping them if Evans continues to struggle. I've always considered Evans to be the better prospect, he was much better in Laval, on the other hand it's a big step for him after getting in a few games last year to be a regular on the 4th line. With it being the last year he can go to Laval without waivers and Vejdemo turns 26 at the end of the season so you might want to see what he can do, if he keeps doing so well in Laval. I've never felt that Vejdemo could put it all together consistently but would be great if he did. I know some didn't even think he would be back this year but I could see him getting some games again at some point.

Reactions: DAChampion

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
We are going to end up picking up a vet 4th line Center who can win us face offs if we wanna do anything in the playoffs. It’s needed he isn’t cutting it anymore

Jul 6, 2016
Evans
Poehling
Vejdemo

These are our best 4th line center solutions.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I still believe Evans has a future as an NHL regular, but I agree he needs to be replaced for this season. Hopefully Poehling continues to perform well in the AHL and can take over sooner than later, but otherwise I agree we need to add a 4th line C.

Reactions: Vachon23

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Evans is gonna get scratched soon if he can't do better in the FO circle.

1/8 for a 4th line center is brutal.
If Poehling keeps it up in Laval, he’ll take Evans spot in the next 10-15 games. 4th line needs to generate some offense...any offense

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Wow fickle fan factor in full effect this week.

Evans remains a net positive on the 4th line and will only improve with more NHL experience. If he goes 12% on the dot game after game for the next month then sure, back to AHL school for a bit.

Right now, Evans is the least of this team's problems.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evans has 1 pt in the last 14 games, there's nothing wrong with pointing out he may not be ready to play a regular 4th line center spot on a playoff team. Now maybe MB will just live with it, we'll find out in the coming weeks.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans has 1 pt in the last 14 games, there's nothing wrong with pointing out he may not be ready to play a regular 4th line center spot on a playoff team. Now maybe MB will just live with it, we'll find out in the coming weeks.

I wouldn't mind seeing Evan's in the top 9 on the wing. Realistically, it's hard to produce from the 4th line, with 4th line wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad