Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Often times late draft picks pan out because they know the odds are against them and they simply work their butts off and it pays off.

In the case of Jake Evans had he had LeFebvre instead of Bouchard I doubt he makes it.

Bouchard has done a great job with our young players.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Often times late draft picks pan out because they know the odds are against them and they simply work their buttons off and it pays off.

In the case of Jake Evans had he had LeFebvre instead of Bouchard I doubt he makes it.

Bouchard has done a great job with our young players.

So far so good. without Bouchard, KK doesn't have the same impact in the bubble. I'd say, in spite of Julien (but, not talking about how he was used in the bubble -- kudos to Julien, to Domi's chagrin), KK bounced back last year.

I'm just saying that Julien messed him up a bit and Bouchard rebuilt his confidence, plus gave him pointers that he used to work on during the pre COVID playoffs break.

Montreal should have demoted KK to Laval before letting things fester at the NHL level.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is he a better player than Beaulieu? NB is still hanging on in WPG

I hope so.

I mean we see from Petry that a player can get better with age. I hope this happens to Beaulieu. But I'm also hoping Evand can become a true two way forward: solid defensively, but also contribute offensively.

Reactions: DAChampion

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I like the kid but if he can't start winning faceoffs, a replacement will be needed.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I like him as a 4th liner, although I Poehling puts it together and replaces him this year. I also don't see the upside for him to be more than a 4th liner.

Perhaps, for his sake he'd need to have redeeming qualities. Good faceoff skills and versatility would prolong his NHL career.

Montreals Forum

Oct 27, 2020
Evans I have hope for. The kid is a battler and I personally dont believe Poehling will supplant Evans on the 4th line.
Poehling has a form of work ethic, and received praise for every advancement. Evans was formed from the pits of hockey hell, and came out on top. Hes just getting his sniffs now, and I dont think he will EVER disappoint.
This is a kid who worked from 4th liner to first liner in NCAA, AHL, and now is working on his NHL resume.
He has all the intangibles. Because he needed them to get to where he is now.
Poehling I honestly have to say I see his development as a third liner or better. He'll bomb out a 4th line IMO.
Better upside, but less of a floor I guess is what I am saying.

If Poehling is walking in to camp looking to displace Evans, he is targeting the wrong guy, and will likely lose the battle against a guy who has successfully defended his ability to play hockey at every step of the way to the big leagues.
In that position, in that role (4th line elite forward: someone who can do some damage down there). Evans is the guy I believe will be more valuable. Right handed faceoff is just yet, another great intangible he possesses.

Poehling has an uphill battle at center right now.
Suzuki is looking at being the top line center.
Koktaniemi is looking at top line, or #2 center...
His best bet, Danault is considered a fantastic 2 way center, who plays a top 6 role. Contract year, has demands that might not be met... If he goes, depending on Poehlings development, he might slip in nicely there. Or that same Evans, could steal the 3rd line role from all of them...

Another way I could see a Poehling advancement is in to a top 6 LW'er role, sliding in to a center spot over time.

Anyhow, just some thoughts about Poehling v, Evans

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like him as a 4th liner, although I Poehling puts it together and replaces him this year. I also don't see the upside for him to be more than a 4th liner.

Imo, there's no rush regarding Poehling. I'd be perfectly happy for him to play this year and the next in Laval, if the time there allows him to grow.

And after seeing him last year, his game needs to grow a lot.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Imo, there's no rush regarding Poehling. I'd be perfectly happy for him to play this year and the next in Laval, if the time there allows him to grow.

And after seeing him last year, his game needs to grow a lot.
Of course, but if he kills it in the AHL, I'd much prefer having him over Evans for the 4th line center position in the playoffs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Of course, but if he kills it in the AHL, I'd much prefer having him over Evans for the 4th line center position in the playoffs.

Of course, if he's ready. but that's a big if.

And I don't want him missing time getting top minutes in Laval to play 8 minutes a night on the 4th line in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad