Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
You can't.

Honestly, the easiest play is to not protect Drouin and dare Seattle to do us a favor.

I think that's a great idea. Best case, they take Drouin and we get cap relief. Worst, they don't, and we protect another player with heart and potentially light a fire under Drouin when he sees he can't even be gifted to a new team.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
What a fantastic surprise for us. I expected him to be good, but he's been awesome. What a good young player. Great speed and IQ. I even think he improved his shot.

Reactions: DAChampion

Poehday

Nov 1, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I am so happy with Evans development. Loved watching him play with Notre Dame and never thought he would be more than a 4C, boy was I worng. Kid really set an example, put in the time and the reward will come. I wish Poehling and some other guys would follow his lead and let the egos go.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I am so happy with Evans development. Loved watching him play with Notre Dame and never thought he would be more than a 4C, boy was I worng. Kid really set an example, put in the time and the reward will come. I wish Poehling and some other guys would follow his lead and let the egos go.
how are you wrong ? that's exactly what he is right now
(and that's fine, every team need 4th liners)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
how are you wrong ? that's exactly what he is right now
(and that's fine, every team need 4th liners)

Many signs point to him POSSIBLY still being on an upward trajectory. He's already been a late bloomer; he just may yet still have some blooming to do.

One reason is that he's really increased his speed. I was listening to Ray Ferraro being interviewed once. He said some players can increase their skating speed noticeably after their drafted, but some other players, because of genetics, can't. He cited Brayden Point as a good example. He said he wasn't taken until the 3rd round because of concerns about his skating, then subsequently really improved it.

Evan's seems to have really improved his skating. Now we'll see how he's able to adapt his tool set, I e. Speed, good vision, good hockey sense, good shot, good work ethic, etc. to the NHL level.

But that's quite a tool box.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Evans is my favorite player in the team. Not because he is as good as Suzuki or KK, but he fullfills his 4nd center and do a little more. He reminds me Danault when he was behind Pleky and DD. Danault can be traded and Evans can take his spot, Perry and Frolik can be on 4nd line.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Evans is my favorite player in the team. Not because he is as good as Suzuki or KK, but he fullfills his 4nd center and do a little more. He reminds me Danault when he was behind Pleky and DD. Danault can be traded and Evans can take his spot, Perry and Frolik can be on 4nd line.

I think Evans is the solution to the Danault problem, but not this year. It is the first time in ages I feel we have a team that can go deep, maybe to the end, but for that you need Danault to contain the opposite star line. If this continues like it started, I would go all in with that line up and not care about future consequences.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think that's a great idea. Best case, they take Drouin and we get cap relief. Worst, they don't, and we protect another player with heart and potentially light a fire under Drouin when he sees he can't even be gifted to a new team.
The Habs don't want cap relief for Drouin...so this doesn't work.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
He was one of the better faceoff man in the NCAA both his Junior and Senior year (top 10 in both cases I believe). If he can round out that part of his game at the pro level he'll be a lock for the next few seasons on our lineup. He's everything you could want out of a bottom 6 player.
The main thing is the kid can score goals. He can drill it close. Unlike Danno.

Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bergevin moved Eller because of Danault in 2016. I don't see why he wouldnt repeat that

Didn't he move him because of Galchenyuk, Desharnais, and Plekanec? Many thought we had 4 top 9 C's. Turns our we only had one, the one he moved.

Having said that, moving Eller for two 2mds amd then not trading for Shaw would have been a great move if we had drafted Samuel Girard. It would have been out of this world good if we also drafted Debrincat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad