Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We've had a hard time with developping so-so skaters into pro players in the past though, this would have me a bit worried, as his stride needs some work. We'd need to hook him up with whoever turned Jake Evans into an above average skater. With his elite puck skills and his playmaking and vision he could be a heck of a player if he can iron out the chinks.

Again, Jake Evans was always a pretty good skater.

Not sure where this myth comes from.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Again, Jake Evans was always a pretty good skater.

Not sure where this myth comes from.
I saw a TON of him with Notre Dame, from his freshman to his senior season. Believe me when I say he was damn near brutal early on in that department. Not the worst I ever saw by a long shot but he was certainly a poor skater. I believe @montreal ( who saw a lot of him as well) can back me up on this.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I saw a TON of him with Notre Dame, from his freshman to his senior season. Believe me when I say he was damn near brutal early on in that department. Not the worst I ever saw by a long shot but he was certainly a poor skater. I believe @montreal ( who saw a lot of him as well) can back me up on this.

It's a myth, sorry.

The guy got "good skater" in every draft report until he reaches Notre Dame. He doesn't become unsound there, that doesn't happen. What was going on there was a simple case of comparing a young player who is not in shape with much more mature guys, who are in shape.

Then he got in shape, and "magically" he's a good skater again.

It's a myth, Jake Evans always was a good skater.

And I'm saying good because he was never elite - a detail that made him look slow against more mature players.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
From struggling to get his first goal in the AHL to earning his spot in the NHL. He plays like it's his last game in his career. How can this player be scratched or being in the press box???

Deserves full recognization and respect.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
From struggling to get his first goal in the AHL to earning his spot in the NHL. He plays like it's his last game in his career. How can this player be scratched or being in the press box???

Deserves full recognization and respect.

Nice to see that all the kids have competition up the middle, KK, MZ, Evans and Poehling. That's never a bad thing

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Ironically he reminds me a lot of Danault when he first came on the scene.
Actually, he reminds a bit of Ralph Backstrom: above average skating and a high compete level. Tonight he was often the first player on the puck in the offensive zone. With a comparatively slow team, Evans skating ability is like a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Actually, he reminds a bit of Ralph Backstrom: above average skating and a high compete level. Tonight he was often the first player on the puck in the offensive zone. With a comparatively slow team, Evans skating ability is like a breeze of fresh air.

Backstrom was one of my favorite players when I first started to see hockey,liked his style.

Reactions: Habs Icing

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Best forward on the Habs tonight. Great game Jake.
Dunno if he will even provide streaky offence, but is definitely an NHLer.
Evans and Lehkonen on the ice at the same time means 110% effort 110% of the time

I'm curious how he would do with more offense gifted players.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Backstrom was one of my favorite players when I first started to see hockey, liked his style.
Backstrom, and Red Berensen use to live in the same apartment near where I lived. I would sometimes see them waiting for a taxi when I was driving by.

Reactions: angusyoung

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Best forward on the Habs tonight. Great game Jake.
Dunno if he will even provide streaky offence, but is definitely an NHLer.
Evans and Lehkonen on the ice at the same time means 110% effort 110% of the time

The problem is now they move him up two lines and then people will hate him cause he can’t deliver offense. Nothing wrong with being a great bottom 6 player if it’s meant to be. Was awesome today

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Backstrom, and Red Berensen use to live in the same apartment near where I lived. I would sometimes see them waiting for a taxi when I was driving by.

I always forget that Red started off in Montreal, a wee bit before my time. Guess that was downtown ish? no metro back then right?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The problem is now they move him up two lines and then people will hate him cause he can’t deliver offense. Nothing wrong with being a great bottom 6 player if it’s meant to be. Was awesome today

Aside from Suzuki, which center is providing offense? Some guys from the Rocket,nobody on the Habs.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Let’s see if Caufield-Evans-lekhs keep it up. Even with an healthy lineup it would be a tremendous 4th where you can shelter a bit Caufield and Evans, while getting them more TOI on the PP/PK.

Maybe Byron would do as well in Lekhonen’s spot.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
For some reason Evans was only credited with 2 hits and he likely could have been credited with 5.

50% on draws.

Assist on the game winning goal.

Physical.

Played well. He looks better now than he did at the start of the season when the puck was going in for him

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad