Waived: Jake Dotchin on Unconditional Waivers

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not saying its the wrong move by any stretch - especially given that hes done it before, apparently. Just think the optics make it look like an odd hill to set your first flag on, that's all.

Oh I know. I'm just saying, a pretty unarguable quality of Yzerman's was he didn't pay much attention to optics (Lecavalier, St. Lous). I think Brisebois is following that lead. I take it as a positive.

Reactions: Starat327

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why is this still a thread? He was suspended last year for something with the team and then he shows up to camp out of shape. The chances ran out. You dont get many here anymore these days.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
This is definitely to send a message. If the contract termination gets nullified we’ll just trade him for future considerations so there will be little to no practical difference in the outcome. But by publicly calling him out with the contract termination rather than quietly trading him for a draft pick we’re sending a clear message to the other members of the organization that we won’t put up with that sort of crap.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I think thats why theres a lot more to it than we're getting. I agree with everything above, but what if he came in and tested positive for an illegal substance, or something like that? I think that would supercede all of the above, in the "we dont want this guy around our 'clean' players" mantra. If it really was just about conditioning, despite his previosu offense - this is one hell of a way to start off your tenure as a GM.
Sorry for the long response but basically it's impossible to terminate a player's contract simply for testing positive for illegal substances. Now if a player had previously tested positive, refused to abide by the league's substance abuse policy and kept using then there are steps the teams can take but they are specific, tiered steps. Recovery is difficult so if players struggle with sobriety their job is safe if they're really committed to the process. On the other hand, if a player is just straight-up uninterested in recovery they have bigger issues to worry about than a pro hockey contract and teams do have the ability to separate that player from the locker room. Again, that's done with specific behind the scenes steps, not just immediate termination. No one knows how many players are currently in the substance abuse program without any of us ever finding out or seeing any discipline(nor should we know)

You can probably find more specific info on the league's substance abuse policy policy from around the time of Kassian's suspension but there's honestly not that much info out there. It's an internal program agreed to by the NHL and PA and the details aren't publicly available.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Sorry for the long response but basically it's impossible to terminate a player's contract simply for testing positive for illegal substances. Now if a player had previously tested positive, refused to abide by the league's substance abuse policy and kept using then there are steps the teams can take but they are specific, tiered steps. Recovery is difficult so if players struggle with sobriety their job is safe if they're really committed to the process. On the other hand, if a player is just straight-up uninterested in recovery they have bigger issues to worry about than a pro hockey contract and teams do have the ability to separate that player from the locker room. Again, that's done with specific behind the scenes steps, not just immediate termination. No one knows how many players are currently in the substance abuse program without any of us ever finding out or seeing any discipline(nor should we know)

You can probably find more specific info on the league's substance abuse policy policy from around the time of Kassian's suspension but there's honestly not that much info out there. It's an internal program agreed to by the NHL and PA and the details aren't publicly available.

Right - maybe last year was the same issue - that's kind of what i meant. I wasnt implying that the dude has an issue and you just term him to get him out of the way.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
'conditioning' could be code for 'sobriety' (drugs or alcohol).

No way.

If a guy has a substance abuse problem he would be going through the NHL's sobriety program. No team would ever terminate a players contract if he needed help. It would be a PR disaster.

He clearly has issues not related to substance or mental health. I'm going to assume he is either consistently out of shape or has crazy attitude issues. Knowing his past, it could be both. Either way you can almost certainly rule out the need to feel bad for him or over analyze the situation.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Jake Dotchin circa May, 2018:
Ben-Stiller-690x386_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqA5xPpDXjI3R8PVWqlNgp0AsXXAS7_VrfHdozeI5gQBU.jpeg

Jake Dotchin, circa September, 2018:

BrtzQF5CcAAvITc.jpg

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
25% body fat is a loooooot for a pro athlete. Particularly one whose job is cardio dependant.

I’m picturing Bartolo Colon... how far off am I?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is definitely to send a message. If the contract termination gets nullified we’ll just trade him for future considerations so there will be little to no practical difference in the outcome. But by publicly calling him out with the contract termination rather than quietly trading him for a draft pick we’re sending a clear message to the other members of the organization that we won’t put up with that sort of crap.

What other teams want the out of shape defenseman?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
25% body fat is a loooooot for a pro athlete. Particularly one whose job is cardio dependant.

I’m picturing Bartolo Colon... how far off am I?

Fat enough to look a little chunky/soft even for the every day guy (probably just "average guy" status), let alone a pro athlete.

...Not Bartolo fat though. LOL

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fat enough to look a little chunky/soft even for the every day guy, let alone a pro athlete.

...Not Bartolo fat though. LOL

That was mostly joking haha - ol Bartolo’s gotta be near 40%.

Yeah, 25% is on the doughy side for a regular person. For a pro athlete he might as well be walking around with someone playing the tuba behind him.

Was he injured or just lazy over the offseason?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, 25% is on the doughy side for a regular person. For a pro athlete he might as well be walking around with someone playing the tuba behind him.

If he'd been injured, I don't see TB trying to terminate the contract. I think this is more they've lost faith in his ability to stay disciplined over the summer. Two years in a row. He was likely warned about this, given that it happened last year. Or he should have been smart enough to realize, if he got suspended for the entire pre-season last time, this time would be a hell of a lot harsher. And, when you have little value to the team, that problem means they're gonna terminate your contract.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Considering he was suspended most of the last preseason and into the season I’m going to go with “lazy”. Which is bad for any professional athlete but especially pathetic for a guy who’s lucky to be in the league in the first place.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Oh so he was that dirtbag, good riddance.
Pretty sure he's the dirtbag that was taking liberties with guys the last few years or am I mistaken....

As usual Leaf fans are exhibiting their standard persecution complex with that. I haven’t looked at those hits since last year but as I recall there was one that was clearly over the line while the rest were either perfectly fine or in a gray area. It’s a shame when players get injured but he comes across as a guy who plays with an edge and made a bad decision on one hit rather than a player who is clearly and consistently dirty (like a Marchand.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad