Waived: Jake Dotchin on Unconditional Waivers

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
If it is depression I have way more respect for Dotchin than I have ever had. Not because he's suffering from depression, but because he didn't do the 2018 trendy thing and come out and announce his mental illness. I swear, people are making real issues out to be trendy. So many people in Silicon Valley are coming out and saying they have all these weird issues. People are even becoming transabled (they're purposefully blinding themselves, amputating their extremities, because they think its cool when celebs and athletes are coming out and showcasing their illnesses). This world is messed up, but again +1 for Dotchin for not just coming out and saying that if that is the reason.

If he has been suffering from depression (which is purely speculation), what's wrong with speaking out about mental health? From everything I've seen, the athletes who have talked about their struggles with mental health issues have done so because there is a horrible stigma surrounding mental health, and they are wanting to fight that stigma, not because they think it's "trendy" to have depression. As someone who works in the mental health industry, I think it's great that high profile athletes/celebrities are discussing those issues. The more people talk about it, the more comfortable others will feel about discussing their own struggles with someone.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'd actually be sad to hear that it's depression related. I hope, for his sake, it is because that's treatable where being a straight up pig is hard to manage. 30lbs in one summer is just obnoxiously bad. He must have just been drinking all summer. He didn't look chubby in the face in the picture, so that 30lbs must have all gone to his gut.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd actually be sad to hear that it's depression related. I hope, for his sake, it is because that's treatable where being a straight up pig is hard to manage. 30lbs in one summer is just obnoxiously bad. He must have just been drinking all summer. He didn't look chubby in the face in the picture, so that 30lbs must have all gone to his gut.

You can't just eat well and exercise your way out of depression.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think it's pretty clear that Sustr is suggesting that this is a depression issue. Which, if that's true, the NHLPA needs to speak up about this on the side of Dotchin.
It could be a variety of issues, there is no need to just slam the guy. But yes, it's the internet and you're a warrior.

While we don’t know all the underlying details, it is reported that the NHLPA has already filed a grievance over Tampa’s attempt to terminate Dotchin’s contract.

Reactions: CrypTic

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
kid has depression and the majority of this thread is you guys calling him fat. stay classy HF
Well, you saying he has depression has just as much proof as those calling him just fat. It's all just useless speculation until we get some proof from one side or another.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If it's depression than shame on TB for cutting him lose.
As I said on the Bolts boards, he could have a depression without the management knowing it. I can't see the Lightning (or really any organization) getting rid of a player with mental health issues without offering him help.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
As I said on the Bolts boards, he could have a depression without the management knowing it. I can't see the Lightning (or really any organization) getting rid of a player with mental health issues without offering him help.

It would be a total PR nightmare, open them up to a lawsuit and really, the lightning seem a lot classier of an organization than that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
kid has depression and the majority of this thread is you guys calling him fat. stay classy HF

well as someone who suffers from persistent depressive disorder I take slight offence at this statement

Doing some research of Dotchin he has had trouble coming to camp out of shape since his junior days and maybe using the depression card is him just trying buy himself some time?

I have suffered from depression since I was a kid and I have seen so many people pull the depression card out in an attempt to get out of trouble, I have become jaded towards these type of situations.

Also has Dotchen said he suffers from depression or are people jumping to the conclusion?

His weight problem is not a new issue

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
well as someone who suffers from persistent depressive disorder I take slight offence at this statement

Doing some research of Dotchin he has had trouble coming to camp out of shape since his junior days and maybe using the depression card is him just trying buy himself some time?

I have suffered from depression since I was a kid and I have seen so many people pull the depression card out in an attempt to get out of trouble, I have become jaded towards these type of situations.

Also has Dotchen said he suffers from depression or are people jumping to the conclusion?

His weight problem is not a new issue

Spot On. Mental health is a serious issue, but because its not 'understood' correctly, everyone like to use it as a crutch. There's a gaping chasm between 'feeling depressed' and suffering from depression. (im not insinuating one way or another for Dotchin, fwiw).

Reactions: smitty10

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Spot On. Mental health is a serious issue, but because its not 'understood' correctly, everyone like to use it as a crutch. There's a gaping chasm between 'feeling depressed' and suffering from depression. (im not insinuating one way or another for Dotchin, fwiw).

My brother uses it as a crutch--he has had very serious drug problems and like me suffers from depression--whenever anything goes wrong he pulls out the card and wants everyone to feel sorry for him. Then you have me, most of my friends can tell when I am having an episode and give me space to deal with it.

Depression is a serious issue and I am just trying to make sure that people are just not assuming Dotchin suffers from it, But in going back over a few scouting reports it looks like Dotchin has never come to camp in shape, whether it be NHL, AHL or Jr level camp. I saw one comment where he suggested that training camp was there to get into shape,

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
No, Dotchin has not said anything. It's speculation because of a tweet made by former team mate Andrej Sustr that you can find in this thread.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If it's depression than shame on TB for cutting him lose.
You know how easy it is to hide depression, or how many people don't even know that they're depressed? It's not like a depressed person just sits in their home by themselves all day.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I cant see TB knowingly cut a player with a health condition or depression. This was a case of a player using up his chances.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
25% is around what? A ~35" waist? There's been far fatter NHL players who didn't get their contracts terminated.

buffffffffweddddd.jpg

Picture is fake. Take a look at the hand on the far right shoulder. It's the size of a dinner plate. It's made using a fish-eye type filer that stretches things on the edges of the image

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad