Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Got the go-ahead from @Gee Wally to post this.

I know many will disagree with it and that's fine. Debates are fun. But there is a serious part in this story and we all should be civil

JAKE DeBRUSK: SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT – Dom – Hockey (wordpress.com)

I see nothing wrong with what you wrote Dom! You said a lot of truths. Bringing up Drouin(in case others want to read what he said)

Habs' Drouin says absence was due to anxiety

You're right. Even if Jake said this candidly it wouldn't matter to the people who dislike him. Us who suffer from mental health issues get it. I look forward to seeing him succeed this year. It's definitely time to put up. From the season cut short due to this pandemic, to last year. Time for a new page to be open and written by Jake. I have no doubt in my mind he'll put up and show out this year. I

Great write up, Dom! As always!

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I see nothing wrong with what you wrote Dom! You said a lot of truths. Bringing up Drouin(in case others want to read what he said)

You're right. Even if Jake said this candidly it wouldn't matter to the people who dislike him. Us who suffer from mental health issues get it. I look forward to seeing him succeed this year. It's definitely time to put up. From the season cut short due to this pandemic, to last year. Time for a new page to be open and written by Jake. I have no doubt in my mind he'll put up and show out this year. I

Agree wholeheartedly. Just want to add if he doesn’t quite get there it doesn’t mean he’s lazy or a bad person. Hockey is hard.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

I don't believe that anyone on this board dislikes JDB! The thing they dislike is his lack of effort even after he was a healthy scratch , his GAF factor seemed lacking.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020

I know many will disagree with it and that's fine. Debates are fun. But there is a serious part in this story and we all should be civil

Hey Dom... Great article and thanks for sharing. So refreshing to see people open up a bit about it and take some of the stigma away. Everyone goes through mental health issues in there life. Some are larger and some are smaller. Some last a short time and some last a lifetime. I struggle as well and have been seeing a grief counsellor to help deal with my issues. My father committed suicide and was buried in a Bruins jersey. That being said i just wanted to share as our stories can help people understand that until you walk a mile in someone's shoes you will truly never know what's really going on. I hope Jake is back on track for Jake and Jake only... The hockey will come but calling someone a loser when things aren't going well is a bit tough. I have a feeling we will see his old self and if not I'm sure he will be traded and I'll wish him the best. This pandemic has shit kicked a lot of people's mental state so let's all try and be a bit better to one another.
That was a bit too positive for me so I'll throw in a f**k the Habs and Leafs!!

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I hope he has a good season. The talent is there, he just needs to find a way to put it on display consistently.

You can do it, Jake!
I find he can score. But I don’t love his game without the puck. He ok. 20 goal scorer. But we can use the secondary scoring. So he is definitely an asset to this team.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I don't believe that anyone on this board dislikes JDB! The thing they dislike is his lack of effort even after he was a healthy scratch , his GAF factor seemed lacking.

Feel free to go read some posts on the Jake DeBrusk discussion thread, or better yet search his name and last year. There are certain people on here who genuinely dislike him.

He could have a breakout year, save a cat from being stuck in a tree, etc and there will always be certain people on here saying it's not enough or worse. Can't do anything about those people. I hope for his sake he gets back to it. As I've said all along, I think he has a great year either with us or somewhere else. :)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
People don’t hate him despite what the poster who responded to you says. What we didn’t like was her making excuses for him and not being able to handle it. She acted like she was ready to defend him until the end of time and that anyone who criticized him was going to cause him to go to the extreme.

I can’t stand his IGAF attitude especially when it showed on the ice especially after he was benched for the third time. He skated off the ice while his line mates we battling along the boards in our own zone!

What also drove me crazy was his excuses. It was everyone else’s fault and then he’d allude to mental health struggles and then say nah it is the haters fault but never his own.

What was also frustrating was the team kept him in the line up when he looked miserable. Both parties were responsible for the struggles: DeBrusk for his need to blame everyone but himself and having a terrible attitude and the Bruins for not yanking him and digging deeper into what was really going on.

In reality, DeBrusk should have never be on the ice until he got things under control.

The one other thing I can’t stand and have zero tolerance for is anyone who claims mental health issues and then using it as an excuse in order to dodge accountability.

we can all hope after he and Cassidy’s conversation that he’s got the resources to deal with issues and that working with guys like Foligno and Kelly will return him to the player he was a few seasons ago.

If DeBrusk was honest and owned his part in what happened last year it would go a long way.

As Dom said, no more excuses. If he plays poorly people will call him out on it and that’s that.

My expectations are very low for him and I would prefer him not be on the team but I’m not the GM. He’s a Bruin and I want him to do well but leave the excuses behind.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

Great article Dom. As someone who has been a fan of his since his days in Swift Current, I really want this guy to succeed as a Bruin.

Sorry to hear you've had your struggles. I've been there myself. If you ever need someone to talk to please PM me and we can go from there.

Reactions: DominicT

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Feel free to go read some posts on the Jake DeBrusk discussion thread, or better yet search his name and last year. There are certain people on here who genuinely dislike him.

He could have a breakout year, save a cat from being stuck in a tree, etc and there will always be certain people on here saying it's not enough or worse. Can't do anything about those people. I hope for his sake he gets back to it. As I've said all along, I think he has a great year either with us or somewhere else. :)

I think the overwhelming majority of those posts are from people who are frustrated with his lack of effort. That's completely valid. I've been hard on him for his lack of effort, but I don't dislike him in any way. I felt the same way about Lucic during his last year in Boston when he was half-assing it until he got put on a line with Spooner and Pastrnak. Until he was with the 2 kids, he was mailing it in for a paycheck. If there are a few people who dislike Jake, I believe it's misdirected anger. Their anger should be directed at Sweeney or Cassidy. I think another valid criticism of Jake is his diet. According to a few posters, McAvoy has said on Spittin Chiclets that Jake constantly eats Oreos and McDonald's.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think what's frustrating about him is how good he can be.

Remember that game after he was scratched? He was the best player on the ice.

When he gets his feet moving and his shot, he's an awesome player. The talent is clearly there.

Reactions: Alicat

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think what's frustrating about him is how good he can be.

Remember that game after he was scratched? He was the best player on the ice.

When he gets his feet moving and his shot, he's an awesome player. The talent is clearly there.

This is where I am with him also- he's shown he has talent and can be a very good player for the Bruins. I also can't help but think that if his struggles were as serious as is claimed (and there is no reason to think they weren't) what the hell were the Bruins doing rolling him out there night after night? He should have been given or made to take a leave to get his mind taken care of and whatever he needed.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This is where I am with him also- he's shown he has talent and can be a very good player for the Bruins. I also can't help but think that if his struggles were as serious as is claimed (and there is no reason to think they weren't) what the hell were the Bruins doing rolling him out there night after night? He should have been given or made to take a leave to get his mind taken care of and whatever he needed.
The last part has me baffled but at the same time I understand why they didn't. I think the Bruins took him at his word that he was fine and instead of making an already sticky situation worse, they let him play.

I hope they have established that it is ok to step back if something isn't right for any player not just DeBrusk.

My main issue last year was never his mental health, it was the excuses even when it became clear something was wrong. If you say you're ok to keep playing every game and then you play poorly and blame the haters post game then why should I cut you any slack?

All that said, even if you admit to struggling with mental health, you can't use it as some sort of card that you get to pull anytime something isn't going your way.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
If the Bruins look like contenders, I can imagine DeBrusk will be trade bait for a position of need at the deadline like Blake Wheeler was. Wheeler ended up being a great player, but Marchand and Lucic fit this team like a glove.

I doubt DeBrusk regains his former form because he will have a reduced role on the third line. With Marchand and Hall on this team, I think DeBrusk would be better off on a team where he is in the top six to maximize his earning, and the Bruins would be better off getting a player in a position of need. I really feel it would be better for DeBrusk and the Bruins to move on from eachother

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not rooting against a player on the Bruins. I'd love for him to become a 30 goal scorer and get over whatever mental blockages he has. But I don't like the effort he's shown the last two seasons and don't expect it to change. But I do want a third line winger who can score, maybe the loosening of restrictions with the team being vaccinated will be a magic cure for his problems. Who knows.

I don't have expectations for him, but leaving space to hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
He about to be on a really good third line. This year the bruins third line is going to score at least 50 goals. That’s really good. Haula foligno debrusk. On a lot of teams that’s a second line.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Foligno will be on Debrusk azz (hopefully)

When you hear Foligno mic'd up when captain of CBJ ... he is encouraging guys to push it. Notify missed plays etc.
We can all only hope this pairing along with Haula is going to be just what Jake needs

Reactions: Kegs

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
We can all only hope this pairing along with Haula is going to be just what Jake needs

Its his last chance. As harsh as this sounds

He has no movement up or down the lineup (LW), unless injury. Has no business on the 4th line (underutilized)

Froden and Lauko are breathing down his neck. Debrusk pretty much has to have his best start/season of his career if you ask me

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Its his last chance. As harsh as this sounds

He has no movement up or down the lineup (LW), unless injury. Has no business on the 4th line (underutilized)

Froden and Lauko are breathing down his neck. Debrusk pretty much has to have his best start/season of his career if you ask me
It isn't harsh it is reality. I do not want him on the 4th line at all. He needs to have a solid start for sure or the B's won't hesitate to move him for the reasons you mentioned: Froden and Lauko.

I feel slightly better now knowing Foligno is taking him under his wing.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It isn't harsh it is reality. I do not want him on the 4th line at all. He needs to have a solid start for sure or the B's won't hesitate to move him for the reasons you mentioned: Froden and Lauko.

I feel slightly better now knowing Foligno is taking him under his wing.

Anything less than 15 goals, is a failure imo. Even 15 is a pretty low bar for a guy that was once considered a capable 30 goal scorer

but its like he has to learn how to ride a bike again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad