Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

Leave it to Foligno to nail it, in two sentences, after being here a couple months.

Jake is simply an irritating player. With the lack of effort and excuse-making. But I’d love to see him get back to what works…which with him has always started with effort.

I’d love to see him get the support he needs from guys like Foligno and find that switch and flip it. It could make a huge difference for the team.

There’s no doubt he’s played his way off this team…over an extended period…but risk/reward wise it might be a shrewd gamble to give him a last shot many players don’t get.

The upside is there…it’s just a matter of getting the effort so the speed can play.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Leave it to Foligno to nail it, in two sentences, after being here a couple months.
Nick's leadership will help Jake. I'm sure he is aware of what happened and what Jake went through last year. With players like Drouin coming out and expressing the same, and Bruce confirming what many of us on here suspected, Jake can only go up from here. It seems he's more supported this year. Everyone is under the same page. It's a good thing to have. I'm excited for him.

And Haula shoots left. I'm hoping that helps Jake too. I don't think he's ever had a left shot center on his line. And it seems like these new guys have bought into the Bruins way already. Especially, Foligno. Exciting times.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Jake is simply an irritating player. With the lack of effort and excuse-making. But I’d love to see him get back to what works…which with him has always started with effort.

I’d love to see him get the support he needs from guys like Foligno and find that switch and flip it. It could make a huge difference for the team.

There’s no doubt he’s played his way off this team…over an extended period…but risk/reward wise it might be a shrewd gamble to give him a last shot many players don’t get.

The upside is there…it’s just a matter of getting the effort so the speed can play.
Nailed it.

I really hope the Bruins have used this experience to prioritize every guy's mental health going forward

Reactions: hrdpuk

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nick's leadership will help Jake. I'm sure he is aware of what happened and what Jake went through last year. With players like Drouin coming out and expressing the same, and Bruce confirming what many of us on here suspected, Jake can only go up from here. It seems he's more supported this year. Everyone is under the same page. It's a good thing to have. I'm excited for him.

And Haula shoots left. I'm hoping that helps Jake too. I don't think he's ever had a left shot center on his line. And it seems like these new guys have bought into the Bruins way already. Especially, Foligno. Exciting times.

Interesting

So a left shot center gives a left shot LW a little more advantage?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

He looks happier! Healthier! That smile of his is back. He stayed here for 2 months so he can be here His mindset is great.
He's embraced Boston from day 1. Goes to Sox and Celtics games (look at his hat).

I'm glad he sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better. Mental health is so important. And he sounds really good. I'm glad for him, and I can't wait to see how he does with Haula and Foligno.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
He looks happier! Healthier! That smile of his is back. He stayed here for 2 months so he can be here His mindset is great.
He's embraced Boston from day 1. Goes to Sox and Celtics games (look at his hat).

I'm glad he sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better. Mental health is so important. And he sounds really good. I'm glad for him, and I can't wait to see how he does with Haula and Foligno.
I’m telling ya this kid is scoring 20+ this year.

Reactions: Kegs and Mione134

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

It was one season of "excuse making" in a time where the "excuses" appeared plenty believable. The witch hunt with Debrusk was a bit extreme last season. It was a terrible season, no debate. Over the rest of his career he has shown he will be able to score at a 30 goal pace.

Ironically, building on small sample sizes, both playing with the Bergeron line and shifts on the PK there was plenty of effort.

Debrusk has yet to truly be placed in a role to succeed. On a two player line with Krejci? Playing RW? That excuse of a 3rd line last season?

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

it better cuz this will be his last chance. This team has had more than enough leaders in Jake`s time here and leaders that I suspect weren`t shy on getting in his face and/or pulling him aside to have a little chat about dedication to the game and he has not responded.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

I'm not holding my breath. You can't fix lazy.

Reactions: Alicat

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
it better cuz this will be his last chance. This team has had more than enough leaders in Jake`s time here and leaders that I suspect weren`t shy on getting in his face and/or pulling him aside to have a little chat about dedication to the game and he has not responded.

I'm not holding my breath. You can't fix lazy.

I'm sure the players are aware of what Jake was feeling last season. Bruce has talked about it too. I'm sure they're aware of what he was going through mentally. Jake has said this is a clean slate. And people at these practices have said him Haula, and Foligno look good together. So instead of coming with negativity with Jake this season. Let's have some positivity going his way and the team.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'm sure the players are aware of what Jake was feeling last season. Bruce has talked about it too. I'm sure they're aware of what he was going through mentally. Jake has said this is a clean slate. And people at these practices have said him Haula, and Foligno look good together. So instead of coming with negativity with Jake this season. Let's have some positivity going his way and the team.

Why should Debrusk get any sort of benefit of the doubt. One consistency throughout his career, and not just last season, has been a wavering level of effort.

Forgive me if I'm not optimistic regarding him. He's a low skill, low IQ player who absolutely can't get by on coasting.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Why should Debrusk get any sort of benefit of the doubt. One consistency throughout his career, and not just last season, has been a wavering level of effort.

Forgive me if I'm not optimistic regarding him. He's a low skill, low IQ player who absolutely can't get by on coasting.

Are you EVER optimistic? Seriously though? Is it so out of this world to think a player who was going through it bad mentally in a pandemic season, something nobody has ever dealt with, is it possible to think that now he's vaccinated, and the whole team is, and he's not sat in a hotel room by himself, that just maybe he'll get back to his old self?

To think this kid is all of a sudden bad and has no skill or iq is asinine. Is he Zach Hamill or Jordan Caron? All of a sudden this kid is trash? Give it a rest. This is a clean sheet for him. He knows it. The coach knows it. And his teammates know it. Let's think positively for him. This team needs him.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Damn. Low skill and low IQ player who produces at a 0.55 PPG pace as an NHLer. Too bad he’s not a high skill, high IQ player or we’d be looking at an absolute stud.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
For sure. He has become a bit of a whipping boy around here. He is only 24. Has one down year and everyone hates him. He is a 20 goal scorer IMO. He will most likely score a bunch of goals this year.

I understand the opinion that he takes too much flack from fans, but it’s dishonest to say “he has one down year and everyone hates him”.

He has had long streaks of idleness since he started his pro career. He’s had some fantastic moments but he’s been an extremely frustrating player for large stretches of at least two seasons. A big part of the fan reaction last year was because people were expecting a bounce back year LAST SEASON and instead he had easily his worst year yet. With no sort of notable playoff contribution to smooth things over.

I’m rooting for the kid. I was defending him incessantly until I started to feel a lot of frustration with his play at some point last year when he seemed to be regressing most nights. But it’s on him to know what it takes (like Foligno said) and I think that Nick’s words can act as a bit of unintentional acknowledgment that fans aren’t being totally unreasonable with their built up frustration.

It’s not like we haven’t seen Cassidy and others acknowledge the effort issue with Jake. I think fans should be fans and root for their own player. I also think the “the fan expectations are unreasonable” implication is very misplaced with Jake. He’s “earned” a lot of the doubt.

Jake’s skill ceiling says “top 6 player”. Time to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad