Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk IV: The debate rages forth

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Jake is a keeper, I was not sure during the year but we need this kind of player.
I like the Ryder comparison from someone earlier. I was always willing to live with Ryder being a lazy/disinterested player in regular season as long as he brought it in the playoffs, which he did. If Jake can step it up when it matters then I'm willing to live with his streakiness as well.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I like the Ryder comparison from someone earlier. I was always willing to live with Ryder being a lazy/disinterested player in regular season as long as he brought it in the playoffs, which he did. If Jake can step it up when it matters then I'm willing to live with his streakiness as well.
Good thing is maybe they do not have to break the bank to sign him. He is young and it took Bergy and Eriksson a few years to get over their concussions. He is going to the net and that is what he does well. Regardless if it was going wide, he was in the right spot. Now if Pasta can match his intensity they may be unstoppable.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Jake has been good- where has this guy been lurking all season? I am not ready to declare the guy back and badass yet, as two games is just two games, but he's been really good. Someone said it best above- this is what we know the guy can do and so it's doubly frustrating when he doesn't show up which has been a lot of the time.

Reactions: inactive user

MarbleMist

May 17, 2021
This could be the greatest redemption story since Bill Murray became a nice guy in Groundhog Day.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Jake has been good- where has this guy been lurking all season? I am not ready to declare the guy back and badass yet, as two games is just two games, but he's been really good. Someone said it best above- this is what we know the guy can do and so it's doubly frustrating when he doesn't show up which has been a lot of the time.
He’s going to the net more. That’s how he scores nearly all of his goals. When he’s floating on the perimeter and not in front of/around the net he’s not much of a threat to score.

The maddening thing is why he doesn’t do that all the time.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He’s going to the net more. That’s how he scores nearly all of his goals. When he’s floating on the perimeter and not in front of/around the net he’s not much of a threat to score.

The maddening thing is why he doesn’t do that all the time.

I hear you, but he's doing it now and that's what matters. I hope he keeps it up.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Happy birthday to Jake!

And what a great start thus far. Preseason then a goal in the first regular season game. Keep it rolling kid!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You can tell he needs to score goals in order to feel more confident...he's hitting, skating and make better decisions.

ooooooooooooooooozing with confidence right now. Having him on the 3rd line is a luxury at this point.

his two preseason goals and the one last night all scored in tight, when he`s playing with focus, he drives to the net, when he`s MIA which he has been too often in his career, he is nowhere to be found. We are seeing the good Jake, it`s on him to play with consistency and that consistency isn`t only when he`s scoring. What he needs to address most is when things aren`t going his way offensively, he needs to bare down and remain focused on his play in all 3 zones

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Good goal from him yesterday. Needs to do more net front stuff and less shooting from the high slot off the rush. Hes not good enough to pick a corner 30 times a year. Needs to get to the unpleasant spots on the ice if hes gonna rack them up. His hand eye is elite. Needs to be more of a rebound collector/puck tipper than a sniper. Hope hes finally succumbed to that reality this season. If so he’ll be very good

Reactions: Alicat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Biggest worry I had about Jake going into this season was that he would continue to play tentative and scared. When he plays that way he is useless. Last night he played with confidence and was not tentative at all. Jake is a very good player when he is hard charging. Take out the goal Jake scored, and his performance was still very strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad