Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk IV: The debate rages forth

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes I agree, he's managed to string together a few solid showings in a row. I am still no convinced this is the great turnaround going forward that we all hope, but he's getting there. Let's suppose he ends up playing solid hockey with strong effort through the playoffs however long they last, what do you do with him? He isn't getting into the top 6 as it stands. Overpay him as a third liner that can be moved up if needed? Expose him to Seattle in hopes you can keep a D man? Trade him for a need in the summer?

You hold onto him unless you get an offer to make a clear upgrade to the team. He makes $3.6 million and I'm not sure I'd call that an overpay as a 3rd liner. We pay Coyle $5.25 million to be our 3C and we signed Smith at $3.1 million to be our 3RW. If DeBrusk can get back to being a 20+ goal guy, that's huge to have on your 3rd line and just give you more secondary scoring....something we've been screaming for now going on 5-6 years.

Reactions: hrdpuk

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yes I agree, he's managed to string together a few solid showings in a row. I am still no convinced this is the great turnaround going forward that we all hope, but he's getting there. Let's suppose he ends up playing solid hockey with strong effort through the playoffs however long they last, what do you do with him? He isn't getting into the top 6 as it stands. Overpay him as a third liner that can be moved up if needed? Expose him to Seattle in hopes you can keep a D man? Trade him for a need in the summer?
There’s no scenario where he won’t be protected. It’s either Ritchie or Frederic. My guess is he signs another short term deal at lesser money after his contract is up next season. It’s certainly possible he could be traded, but I have no clue what his market is. The real tricky thing is that if Hall re-signs, Jake has no future here long-term. He can’t really play RW and he won’t be a top 6 forward. This isn’t Chiarelli where he bent over backwards to extend and overpay nearly every bottom 6 forward. Outside of Coyle, Sweeney hasn’t really done that. Another thing is what happens with Ritchie? If he asks for too much money I could see him being dealt because Sweeney won’t want 2 enigmas on his 3rd line making north of $3.5M, with Coyle and his NMC thrown in for good measure.

Maybe Arizona would be stupid enough to do Garland for DeBrusk and a 2nd?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There’s no scenario where he won’t be protected. It’s either Ritchie or Frederic. My guess is he signs another short term deal at lesser money after his contract is up next season. It’s certainly possible he could be traded, but I have no clue what his market is. The real tricky thing is that if Hall re-signs, Jake has no future here long-term. He can’t really play RW and he won’t be a top 6 forward. This isn’t Chiarelli where he bent over backwards to extend and overpay nearly every bottom 6 forward. Outside of Coyle, Sweeney hasn’t really done that. Another thing is what happens with Ritchie? If he asks for too much money I could see him being dealt because Sweeney won’t want 2 enigmas on his 3rd line making north of $3.5M, with Coyle and his NMC thrown in for good measure.

Maybe Arizona would be stupid enough to do Garland for DeBrusk and a 2nd?

Bring it on. It would be worth JDB and 1st for Garland and let the lines sort themselves out. I too see Jake being protected if he has a good playoffs but it is a theoretical possibility he won't. I am pretty certain Hall returns and you are right, Jake has no future here at LW at his salary level. Ritchie has arbitration rights, but coming from 1.4, I don't see him pushing to Jake's pay. Bruins could effectively double his salary on a 1 year deal and see where they stand when Ritchie becomes a UFA (I think it is after this season, right?) and not really overpay for a 3rd line guy that does PP time as well.

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
What do you guys think about a DeBrusk for Nolan Patrick trade? Both players could use a change of scenery, Both have had concussion history, Both were 1st round picks but Patrick was a number 2 pick overall in a draft but Jake has a been a bit more successful in the NHL.

Your thoughts?

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
What do you guys think about a DeBrusk for Nolan Patrick trade? Both players could use a change of scenery, Both have had concussion history, Both were 1st round picks but Patrick was a number 2 pick overall in a draft but Jake has a been a bit more successful in the NHL.

Your thoughts?
I’d rather see if Arizona is stupid enough to give us Garland for DeBrusk and a 2nd.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020

Your thoughts?
Honestly it doesn’t look good for Patrick at all. If it weren’t for him being a 2nd overall pick I doubt there would even be a discussion about this. He’s a minus 30 on the year and has 4 goals and 5 assists. Jake on the other hand has played around 10 fewer games, is a plus 1, and still out scored him although not by much. I’d rather keep Jake.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's a new season right now. Jake needs to forget about the regular season as he can silence everyone and be forgiven with a solid playoff showing.

Reactions: inactive user

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
while some may say playing on the 4th makes things tough for Jake because he won`t be lining up alongside two of the more skilled players, I`ll say playing on the 4th line should offer him favorable matchups vs the Caps, no excuses, it`s putt for dough time for Jake, no more excuses. I have liked his game recently but all comes down to production

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Your thoughts?

I'd take a chance on Patrick, but not if the cost is JDB.

Patrick - 70 career points
DeBrusk - 67 career goals

DeBrusk has nearly has many career goals as Patrick does points.

Reactions: inactive user

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Jake tears up playoff hockey. Can’t wait to see the best fourth line we have ever seen play :sarcasm::sarcasm:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
6e662eff-5c3d-4f40-89ba-97b52e266968.jpg

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Credit where it was due. If the whole team's motor was as good as his last night we'd be flying.

Now all that said, he missed the net plenty last night. Still gripping it a bit tight.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Credit where it was due. If the whole team's motor was as good as his last night we'd be flying.

Now all that said, he missed the net plenty last night. Still gripping it a bit tight.
I didn`t look at the stat sheet but I would wager Jake played tops 14 mins last night? But pretty much every one of those shifts he played with a purpose and that`s what he and the rest of the boys have to do

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Glad Jake got a goal, but the thing that stood out most to me last night was how physically engaged he was. He wasn't throwing massive hits, but at least he was hitting. He also wasn't shying away from contact when he had the puck. Regular season was a completely different story. Very happy that he has upped his game for the playoffs. I hope his head is in a better place now. Really felt bad for him on a personal level during the season. The skill is clearly there. Just a matter of effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad