Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk IV: The debate rages forth

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Good goal from him yesterday. Needs to do more net front stuff and less shooting from the high slot off the rush. Hes not good enough to pick a corner 30 times a year. Needs to get to the unpleasant spots on the ice if hes gonna rack them up. His hand eye is elite. Needs to be more of a rebound collector/puck tipper than a sniper. Hope hes finally succumbed to that reality this season. If so he’ll be very good
One can only hope.

Lets see where he is by American Thanksgiving before exclaiming he's back

Reactions: TCB and Dc422t

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He needs to have a good start this year and glad to see he potted an early goal. Would love to see him bounce back. If he can piece together a few solid games in a row I’ll start to be convinced.

Serpico

Aug 16, 2020
NYC
Great game Saturday. He's done this before though where he's shown up and looked great, then faded back into mediocrity. We need consistency. Hoping he can find it.

Yeah, I agree on the consistency part. Jake is pretty streaky same as Marchand in his early seasons until he flipped the switch. I don't expect Jake to be on that level.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Good goal from him yesterday. Needs to do more net front stuff and less shooting from the high slot off the rush. Hes not good enough to pick a corner 30 times a year. Needs to get to the unpleasant spots on the ice if hes gonna rack them up. His hand eye is elite. Needs to be more of a rebound collector/puck tipper than a sniper. Hope hes finally succumbed to that reality this season. If so he’ll be very good

idk man when his shot is on he has an absolute rip

I think it’s more of a confidence/injury thing, but I think we are gonna see him score a lot more this year, both greasy and snipe goals

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
idk man when his shot is on he has an absolute rip

I think it’s more of a confidence/injury thing, but I think we are gonna see him score a lot more this year, both greasy and snipe goals

Yeah I'm interested in him playing in a shooting position on the 2nd unit. He had some shots there last game but he kept getting them blocked. Might see some snipes when he does get them through.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Two players that have taken JDB under their wings just happen to be two of the hardest working players on the squad in Nick Foligno and Craig Smith. If JDB can follow their lead/example, effort should not be a problem. So far, it all looks good, but I am curious to see where he is at the 10-game mark.

19-25 is a tough time mentally. More so than the pro aspects of the game, having two absolute gems in Foligno and Smith to actually care about him and take an interest in his life and success is huge for someone going through it and figuring themselves out

I had a foligno or Smith and it was only then the tailspin turned into a slow glide, and debrusk has both. His energy shows a very different Jake, an energy i recognize. I wish him luck in maintaining it, that’s the hard part.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
19-25 is a tough time mentally. More so than the pro aspects of the game, having two absolute gems in Foligno and Smith to actually care about him and take an interest in his life and success is huge for someone going through it and figuring themselves out

I had a foligno or Smith and it was only then the tailspin turned into a slow glide, and debrusk has both. His energy shows a very different Jake, an energy i recognize. I wish him luck in maintaining it, that’s the hard part.
Sounds like you've been there yourself. Me also.

Hope you are well.

Reactions: TD Charlie

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Sounds like you've been there yourself. Me also.

Hope you are well.

I appreciate you. And same back to you

Very actually, but I’ve found you never fully leave it, just like an addict doesn’t stop being an addict just because they’ve been sober for an extended duration. Through a combination of community support and a will to be better, you can climb out of it. If I had to talk to Jake directly I would let him know that living for others and leaving a positive dent on the world is something worth fighting for, but it’s hard to internalize that when you’re at your lowest point. Something tells me he’s in a place where he can continue to climb on his own now though.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Always a fan. Was okay with moving him in a package for upgrades these last couple of years but really bummed on all the negatives here and those who seem to want to run him out of town. COVID took a toll on everyone.

Reactions: inactive user

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
The kid brings an infectious energy when he’s on. Especially when he scores.

Hope he keeps it rolling. Big X factor for this Bruins team

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Can't expect him to play 82 solid games....but we should expect him to play a lot better than that 2 games into the season. It makes me nervous for what we'll be seeing from him in game 82 if this is how engaged he is in game 2

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00