Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
He's Skinner-lite but way more inconsistent. I wouldn't have a problem if Sweeney shops around.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
If you think he's going to score 30 goals every year, then keep him. Otherwise it might be best to explore a trade.

I would like to see him with a young and fast center before moving him.

Reactions: Over the volcano

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
those 2 offensive rushes he killed in the first was so debrusk.
doesnt see ice well, isnt really a great passer.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
those 2 offensive rushes he killed in the first was so debrusk.
doesnt see ice well, isnt really a great passer.
“doesn’t see the ice well” “isn’t a good passer”. Good god man do you him mixed up with his dad, very few players in the league could pot the goal he got today, only Marchand has more goals, what the hell are you watching,

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Very inconsistent scorer and he doesn't do much of anything else when he isn't scoring.

I honestly don't think he's been the same player since he got that concussion last year either.

If Sweeney decides to move on from him I won't miss him.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
“doesn’t see the ice well” “isn’t a good passer”. Good god man do you him mixed up with his dad, very few players in the league could pot the goal he got today, only Marchand has more goals, what the hell are you watching,
i didnt even know he scored. i stopped watching after the 3rd goal.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm okay with the team moving on from him, honestly. He just isn't any kind of answer for a second line. If they decide to keep him, it should be for 3rd line money and a 3rd line role and work on getting legit second liner (and hopeful not a legit panty :laugh:) to play in his spot.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He is a fine secondary scorer. I don’t think he is any better than he was when he first came up. Don’t think there is anything else there. He doesn’t do much when he isn’t scoring.
Frank Vatrano last year 24 goals, this year 16
DeBrusk last year 27 goals, this year 19

Uppercut

Aug 11, 2020
I'm okay with the team moving on from him, honestly. He just isn't any kind of answer for a second line. If they decide to keep him, it should be for 3rd line money and a 3rd line role and work on getting legit second liner (and hopeful not a legit panty :laugh:) to play in his spot.
Agree he is probably the softest player in the league, you dont win cups with guys like him in your lineup, hes very streaky and worst part is he doesn’t bring anything eles to the game when hes not scoring he even refuses to mix it up if a teamate needs him in a srum etc very weak and looks like a boy amongst men vs Tampa I would definitely be shopping him and if they don’t they are nuts if they give him 4-5 plus million a year, he would thrive on a non playoff team cause he can’t handle the ruff stuff cant believe he has zero of his dads genes not even an iota he wants to just be friends with everyone one out there, a pardon me excuse me type of guy in the corners

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Agree he is probably the softest player in the league, you dont win cups with guys like him in your lineup, hes very streaky and worst part is he doesn’t bring anything eles to the game when hes not scoring he even refuses to mix it up if a teamate needs him in a srum etc very weak and looks like a boy amongst men vs Tampa I would definitely be shopping him and if they don’t they are nuts if they give him 4-5 plus million a year, he would thrive on a non playoff team cause he can’t handle the ruff stuff cant believe he has zero of his dads genes not even an iota he wants to just be friends with everyone one out there, a pardon me excuse me type of guy in the corners

He definitely doesn't have his dad's jam. I am okay with it for the most part because there is always room for a few players like that on a roster (for some of us, that is :laugh:). The problem for the Bruins with this is as you said, he does nothing if he is not scoring and that is a streaky business with him. So he has long stretches as an invisible man. If he's going to play a soft game, he at least needs to be contributing in other ways like relentlessly backchecking, setting up his teammates etc. when his scoring disappears. The Bruins can't afford that on a second line and definitely not for second line money. I'm fine with him on a third line with linemates that push him a little bit, but be available for the press box when he decides to dog it out there. Imagine with his skills if he had Nordstrom's motor and mentality.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
doesn’t see the ice well” “isn’t a good passer”. Good god man do you him mixed up with his dad, very few players in the league could pot the goal he got today, only Marchand has more goals, what the hell are you watching,

Honestly I'm not sure how anyone could watch him and NOT come to these conclusions. Debrusk's stick. Where plays go to die. Horrendous match with Krejci, should be playing with Coyle but we don't have enough good players to bump him down the lineup.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bruins fans...Boston gives up on ypung talent too soon look at (Smith, Wheeler, Seguin, Vatrano....)

Also Bruins fans....willing to trade a 23yr old goal scorer for having a down year where he was 33rd among LW's in goals and 47th in points.

He got all those points in about ten games :laugh: I jest of course. Put him with Coyle on the third line where he belongs, pay him third line money for the next three years. If he grows his game and learns how to contribute positively when the goals aren't coming, great. Pay him and we have a top 6 wing in the guy.

Reactions: sarge88

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He got all those points in about ten games :laugh: I jest of course. Put him with Coyle on the third line where he belongs, pay him third line money for the next three years. If he grows his game and learns how to contribute positively when the goals aren't coming, great. Pay him and we have a top 6 wing in the guy.

I've already laid out his abg between games for goals and points....its not nearly as bad as people think or say.

Kid is T-2nd for goals among Bruins players and has one less point than the hometown hero Charlie Coyle

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've already laid out his abg between games for goals and points....its not nearly as bad as people think or say.

Kid is T-2nd for goals among Bruins players and has one less point than the hometown hero Charlie Coyle

So in your mind he is worth paying $5 mil + a season on a long-term deal, like you would an established second line wing? And for the record, it isn't just the points here. It is the fact that he does literally nothing when he isn't scoring. He is soft, he floats alot, he only backchecks sporadically, and is not a particularly creative passer. I'm not saying give up on the kid, but I do not advocate just locking him in on a second line and paying him that way. As for the Coyle thing, well Coyle is our 3C. Jake ought to be his winger on that line. That sounds about right for his game at this point.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So in your mind he is worth paying $5 mil + a season on a long-term deal, like you would an established second line wing? And for the record, it isn't just the points here. It is the fact that he does literally nothing when he isn't scoring. He is soft, he floats alot, he only backchecks sporadically, and is not a particularly creative passer. I'm not saying give up on the kid, but I do not advocate just locking him in on a second line and paying him that way. As for the Coyle thing, well Coyle is our 3C. Jake ought to be his winger on that line. That sounds about right for his game at this point.

Did you see anywhere in my post just now where I said $5+ million? Nope you didn't. I personally would like to see a 2-3yr bridge deal. Help keep some cap space to bring in weapons for the current core and when they start to move on DeBrusk gets paid if he's become what we think he can be.

member 96824

DeBrusk avg GP between G and Pts from his rookie season to now.

'17-'18
'18-'19
'19-'20
Avg GP between G
4.5​
2.8​
3.6​
Avg GP between Pts
2.0​
2.2​
2.4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His GP between G by season has been up and down with last season being his smallest gap and this season better than his rookie season. His GP between PTS has gone up for 3 seasons, but a very small amount. If you average these, his avg GP between goals is 3.6 and his average GP between PTS is 2.2 for his career.

Interesting to note that in his best season for assist, his top 3 linemates he assisted for were at 5v5 Krejci, Spooner and Heinen/Chara. Overall for his career its Krejci, Pastrnak and Cehlarik/Spooner. Be interesting to see if DeBrusk could pick up some more assist if he had another shooter to play with consistently. IDK if he just doesn't have the vision to set guys up or what, but outside of Pastrnak, none of the guys listed are know for goal scoring.

bumping this for you OMINM

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Did you see anywhere in my post just now where I said $5+ million? Nope you didn't. I personally would like to see a 2-3yr bridge deal. Help keep some cap space to bring in weapons for the current core and when they start to move on DeBrusk gets paid if he's become what we think he can be.

No need to get defensive about it. It was an honest question based on how the thread was progressing and things that have been talked about in the past. My apologies if you were not one of those that thought he would get a legit 2nd line contract. As it happens I agree with you- a 2-3 year bridge deal is perfect because in my mind he is not what he could be and has some work to do to establish himself as a top 6 guy. As of now he has shown some of that ability, and his goals, when he scores them are welcome on a team that needs secondary scoring.

As for those that advocate moving on from him, I can see their point too because he is a floater who has played very soft this season and tends not to contribute if he isn't scoring.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Bruins fans...Boston gives up on ypung talent too soon look at (Smith, Wheeler, Seguin, Vatrano....)

Also Bruins fans....willing to trade a 23yr old goal scorer for having a down year where he was 33rd among LW's in goals and 47th in points.

It's not like we have an overabundance of goal scorers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad