Player Discussion Jake Allen

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Disagree about the playoffs. Price is still able to put up a world-class performance for stretches.

Other than that, fully agreed. Unless Price can magically recover, his contract is a huge liability for years to come.

Sure, when certain celestial bodies align just so. We do have a solar eclipse coming so maybe that'll do the trick.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Goals saved above expected leaders rofl. Advanced stats guys really need to find better naming scheme for their stats. Anyway any stats putting Allen top 4 in the league is BS.
Notice it said march 4th. Allen has slipped a lot since. But he's also played in I think 17 of last 21 games. And the team has been terrible in many of them.

that being said his stats are still better than Price's.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Notice it said march 4th. Allen has slipped a lot since. But he's also played in I think 17 of last 21 games. And the team has been terrible in many of them.

that being said his stats are still better than Price's.
Only because he was able to be sheltered to start the year. Once he became the starter it was no longer possible and his numbers tanked. Not surprising as backups can do well in stints but tend to crack over the long haul, esp behind bad D. He’s been sub .900 the whole time he’s been used as the starter and we couldn’t win a game in April.

Moreover, Price was flat out bad to start the year. No doubt about that but it’s not a long period of time. And he was doing better before getting hurt. Price is infinitely better and we have little chance against TO without him.

Big question is his health.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Only because he was able to be sheltered to start the year. Once he became the starter it was no longer possible and his numbers tanked. Not surprising as backups can do well in stints but tend to crack over the long haul, esp behind bad D. He’s been sub .900 the whole time he’s been used as the starter and we couldn’t win a game in April.

Moreover, Price was flat out bad to start the year. No doubt about that but it’s not a long period of time. And he was doing better before getting hurt. Price is infinitely better and we have little chance against TO without him.

I've been disappointed in Allen. I thought he would take the bull by the horns and produce more than he has.

I'm not convinced Price can suddenly turn it on, I think he is in clear decline AND breaking down. Those two usually go hand in hand.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I've been disappointed in Allen. I thought he would take the bull by the horns and produce more than he has.

I'm not convinced Price can suddenly turn it on, I think he is in clear decline AND breaking down. Those two usually go hand in hand.
Price did magically turn it on last season in bubble playoffs but we shall see. He was arguably worse for most of last season as well but wasn't injured often to be fair

Anyway I think Allen has been more than adequate for how the team has played in front of him. He's kept us in a lot of games where we just couldn't score goals. I'm not expecting him to be prime Carey Price but for a back up he has been like I said more than adequate. I will say i'm not worried when he is in net. He does give up the occasional stinker but he isn't the reason we lose the vast majority of nights and is often the reason we can hang around in games

Reactions: Walrus26

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

The concussion has nothing to do with breaking down or in decline.

But this is the age where either or both could happen.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

That's why most people wont rank backups with starters in the same chart. But the main point of my post was WTF is Goals saved above expected leaders??? Like could they make the name of their advanced stats more ambiguous? Is it another one of those highly subjective advance stats? I did a google search and could not find a clear description of the stats in the first page. Like really? The name of the stats kind of imply it's made to compare lesser goalies against the best ones. If it is so then it's a fail.

That's my main problem with advanced stats. They all have those fancy names that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. People post them and repost them without a clear description. Lot of them are hidden behind a pay wall type of web site. Searching for a clear description in Google yield no quick result. And then people take them at face value not understanding them. But when you take the time to find a description of the stats (usually 10 pages long) you realize a part of it is subjective.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That's why most people wont rank backups with starters in the same chart. But the main point of my post was WTF is Goals saved above expected leaders??? Like could they make the name of their advanced stats more ambiguous? Is it another one of those highly subjective advance stats? I did a google search and could not find a clear description of the stats in the first page. Like really? The name of the stats kind of imply it's made to compare lesser goalies against the best ones. If it is so then it's a fail.

That's my main problem with advanced stats. They all have those fancy names that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. People post them and repost them without a clear description. Lot of them are hidden behind a pay wall type of web site. Searching for a clear description in Google yield no quick result. And then people take them at face value not understanding them. But when you take the time to find a description of the stats (usually 10 pages long) you realize a part of it is subjective.

I hate the GSAA. I get that most, if not all goalie stats can be considered extremely flawed in one way or another. I personally don’t treat any stat as some telling story for goalies. But people the last five or so years have really doubled down on this particular statistic as somehow being superior then the rest. At the end of the day, you can’t rank a high danger chance just based on where the puck was shot from. I’d rather take a chance with a shot that’s considered “high danger” from a player like Danault for example then have an Ovechkin winding up in a medium or low danger spot. The stat needs context when talking about it which absolutely nobody I’ve seen use it actually gives so it’s as flawed as any other goaltending statistic.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I hate the GSAA. I get that most, if not all goalie stats can be considered extremely flawed in one way or another. I personally don’t treat any stat as some telling story for goalies. But people the last five or so years have really doubled down on this particular statistic as somehow being superior then the rest. At the end of the day, you can’t rank a high danger chance just based on where the puck was shot from. I’d rather take a chance with a shot that’s considered “high danger” from a player like Danault for example then have an Ovechkin winding up in a medium or low danger spot. The stat needs context when talking about it which absolutely nobody I’ve seen use it actually gives so it’s as flawed as any other goaltending statistic.

100% agree.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lost amidst the playoff performers who've been great or awful is one key player who hasn't seen a minute of playoff time – Jake Allen. He deserves a bump to acknowledge that without his solid work we wouldn't be enjoying the current fantastic playoff run. He might've been slightly less than a good starter, but he was much more than a backup. He kept the Habs in almost every game, holding the fort for over a month when Price was out and keeping the team from plummeting out of a playoff spot. With any other backup from the past decade we'd have finished barely above Ottawa. Jake may not see another game in nets this season – or ever, if he's snagged by Seattle – but he was our Hodor when the enemy was at the door. Respect.

HABSFANTIC31

Apr 8, 2021
He was awful against the Sharks but you cant blame him for anything else. Now when he gets overwhelmed, it will get even worse.
He was awful against the Sharks but you cant blame him for anything else. Now when he gets overwhelmed, it will get even worse.
lol funny you say he was awful, why don’t you go back and look at the highlights 1 out of those 5 I could say I wish he had.

Reactions: Trash Man

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That Allen is playing well, yet giving up 3 goals/game with a .891 sv %, really highlights imo just how special Price's performance was last spring...

A HOF goalie playing at his best not only plays well, but also makes a few unbelievable saves every game, the kind that keeps the score in reach AND boosts the teams confidence to play above their heads.

A goalie just "playing well" behind a porous team like ours... well, what we see is what we get.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
That Allen is playing well, yet giving up 3 goals/game with a .891 sv %, really highlights imo just how special Price's performance was last spring...

A HOF goalie playing at his best not only plays well, but also makes a few unbelievable saves every game, the kind that keeps the score in reach AND boosts the teams confidence to play above their heads.

A goalie just "playing well" behind a porous team like ours... well, what we see is what we get.
You are right, BUT last year we also had Weber , Perry and Stall to give this group some leadership and direction. Price was getting killed against Toronto until the vets held that meeting.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You are right, BUT last year we also had Weber , Perry and Stall to give this group some leadership and direction. Price was getting killed against Toronto until the vets held that meeting.

Yeah... that's a nice story...
In reality, we gave up 35, 43 & 31 shots in game 5-6-7... winning 2 in OT... outshot heavily in each, with a high volume of those shots coming from in close to our net.

The meeting didn't change how outplayed we were. Price just went into god-mode, while the Laffs lost their best defensive dman and failed to convert their dominance of the play into the win they needed.

If anything, that stretch of games is evidence of exactly what I am speaking to.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

how many games do you think we would have won with Pricer this season with the team averaging less than a goal a game?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
how many games do you think we would have won with Pricer this season with the team averaging less than a goal a game?

That's the thing... confidence affects chances and conversions. The impact of a goalie playing at that level is felt not just in the goals saved, but all over the ice.

Hard to fully appreciate without having experienced it... impossible to fully quantify & thus easy to dismiss...

But, I can assure you, very much a tangible factor.

Reactions: abo9 and ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
That's the thing... confidence affects chances and conversions. The impact of a goalie playing at that level is felt not just in the goals saved, but all over the ice.

Hard to fully appreciate without having experienced it... impossible to fully quantify & thus easy to dismiss...

But, I can assure you, very much a tangible factor.

Price is also a 3rd dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad