Player Discussion Jake Allen

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Goaltender Jake Allen addresses the media via conference call after being acquired by the Canadiens in a trade on Wednesday (20/09/02).
“I'm obviously really excited to be a Montreal Canadien now... The role I'll be playing is behind one of the best goalies in the world and a guy who's been a dominant force in the League. It's to provide just another assurance for the team. I feel like I played that role last year very well behind Binnington; I thought I had a solid season. I've played quite a few years in the League and I've a lot of experience in different situations. I feel like I can come into this spot, give Carey breaks when he needs them and play well for the team and go from there. I'm looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity.”

“Watching the Canadiens in the playoffs this year from afar, they look like a real force to be reckoned with in the next coming years. It's really exciting to join a group like that, that's on its way up with a lot of key veteran pieces as well.”

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ej1Lib0WAAAL6Xc

Reactions: Eegs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
More likely someone else will pay, cause he'll be UFA. Columbus will have a tough decision to make at the '22 trade deadline. Should they trade Domi, or hold on to him and hope they can sign him?
Or maybe they'll happily let him go. Who cares really. He's an unknown, and clearly had something with Julien, finished on a 4th line. Makes sense there would be hesitation to lock him up to a long term deal.
If he puts it all together and is a 70+ player for two years, well you extend him....as is the case for so many players in the NHL.
Jeff Petry never hit Free Agency, not every players do, this only exists on HF.
The Jackets will deal with their roster in 22 as they see fit in due time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think Covid-19 scared him into this deal. Another big season and he could have been looking at 4-4.5 million per again.

Certainly and at the very least he could have found a team that was likely to give him more starting opportunities.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I expect Carey Price to get scouting reports about the ‘normal’ Western Conference teams from Jake Allen. “He [Jake Allen] brings a lot of knowledge with him, including about players in the Western Conference who he’s faced more often than Carey. Carey loves chatting with and learning from his backup, especially when it’s a veteran who shares a deep knowledge of the League,” recently said goaltending coach Stephane Waite.

“For me playing in the west for the last seven-plus years, I got a pretty good feel for Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver,” Allen recently said in an interview on Sirius XM. “I think it sort of benefits myself a little bit, and maybe I can help out the team a little bit more in that way. I’ve played those teams personally and collectively so many times in the past that gives me a little bit more of an advantage of understanding the players, understanding the teams and the concepts, and I think that’s big.”

Canadiens Preparing for Canadian Division | Habs Notepad | All Habs Hockey Magazine

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
"Jake is gonna play his fair share of games. Carey is gonna stay fresh." -Julien

...not something you would have heard about Keith, Antti or Ben anyhow. Jake sounds like a great teammate too from today's interview.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Or maybe they'll happily let him go. Who cares really. He's an unknown, and clearly had something with Julien, finished on a 4th line. Makes sense there would be hesitation to lock him up to a long term deal.
If he puts it all together and is a 70+ player for two years, well you extend him....as is the case for so many players in the NHL.
Jeff Petry never hit Free Agency, not every players do, this only exists on HF.
The Jackets will deal with their roster in 22 as they see fit in due time.

Domi with Folingo and Atkinson on his wing for a full season will be the best situation he was ever in! I expect Domi to rebound but like you said... Maybe the issue would be in his 2nd season with them? Remember when we acquired Domi? Knock on him was lack of goal scoring power and he addressed that... then faded in his 2nd season with us. Heading into his 1st season with the Blue Jackets, the knock is now 200' game at center and I bet you he is fully aware of that and his focus is to prove the doubters wrong. Can he? Probably. Will he do it for two seasons in a row? We will see. He's at that magical age of 25 for 2nd tier type talent.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm bumping this thread because most of the Jake Allen talk is in his contract extension thread and the "Confirmed with Link" prefix always fools me that it's something new.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Imagine if the Blues just held onto him until the start of the season how many desperate teams would be willing to offer more than a 3rd rounder for Allen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad