Player Discussion Jake Allen

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Guys come on , this is how subtle tanking works . Simple , he sucks and thus guarentee we don’t get too many points
It's turned into a mess. Allen unmovable. I would play Primeau rest of season over Allen. Likely curtailed Primeau's development. We probably lose him. Another Charlie Lindgren. Primeau going to be good goalie some day

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Im fine with slotting Allen for a scheduled loss every 3 games. Helps the tank. We can be competitive in most of Monty's game , there's no real issue here.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
It's turned into a mess. Allen unmovable. I would play Primeau rest of season over Allen. Likely curtailed Primeau's development. We probably lose him. Another Charlie Lindgren. Primeau going to be good goalie some day
Hughes plan isn't working out to well,at some point he has to stop trying to squeeze every thing he thinks he can out of nothing,cut your loses at this point because it's now working against you.As far as MSL goes he is now entering in the DD zone,disorganized unwatchable hockey and post game pressers.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I see your point , but I still think past deadline , primeau either traded or will get playing time. So won’t matter that much in the long term

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hughes plan isn't working out to well,at some point he has to stop trying to squeeze every thing he thinks he can out of nothing,cut your loses at this point because it's now working against you.As far as MSL goes he is now entering in the DD zone,disorganized unwatchable hockey and post game pressers.
Hughes hasn't got the Vision see. Last year You know Primeau running out of options. Allen on cheap contract, and Habs in position to retain. Allen trade value be at its highest. With Montembeault playing so-so, extending Allen he has put himself in trouble.

LOST a 2nd or so on Allen. Messed with Primeau development and wasting near 4 million in caproom for 2 years.

I think Hughes doesn't recognize affect of aging on players. For hes done this multiple times in 2-3 years he's been here. He hung onto Anderson too long. Lost a first pick on him and stuck with 5+ million caphit for next 3 years he can't move. Seen with Gallagher , those hard nosed players who have had lot of injuries usually career ends earlier than norm. Pearson also. Who's clearly done. Wasted another 3.5 million in caproom and a good goalie in DeSmith. Along with playing time for young forward. He's not managing team well going to costs him down the road.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Be big deal if we can move Allen with no retention. Gives us around 13 million next year to improve team compared to 9 million. Why I said in trade thread just waive Allen now. Pretty sure he be claimed.

This summer Pearson 3.25 caphit be done. Edmundson 1.75 million comes off books. Monahan 2 million already gone. Cap goes up 4.2 million. Gives us 11.2 million. If we can dump Allen we have 15 million in caproom. Montembeault has 2.2 million raise. Either Roy or Heineman replaces Pearson. Leaves us 12 million.

Only roster spot we have to replace is Monahan. Primeau replaces Allen roster spot.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Hughes clearly didn’t want to be stuck with no NHL goalies if Primeau tanked. Signing Allen looked iffy at the time and worse every game. I wonder if Allen wants to stay more than he wants to win or play well? Monahan put up numbers at the right time for a deal, Allen really didn’t.

Unfortunately no one wants to trade for a guy who can sometimes play well once every ten days. Contenders want someone who can be ok for a stretch if the top guy is hurt.

Hughes must really like having Allen in the room. His other moves have mostly been pretty solid, while the Allen signing was weird from the start.

Reactions: BLONG7

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Cap goes up 4.2 million. Gives us 11.2 million. If we can dump Allen we have 15 million in caproom. Montembeault has 2.2 million raise. Either Roy or Heineman replaces Pearson. Leaves us 12 million.
+ kid's performance bonus from this season hit the cap!

Guhle is hitting two of them (top 4 TOI and blocked shots). That's a bit under $500k in bonus since he was drafted before 2022.
Slaf is hitting at least the TOI one (top 6 for forwards), but he has a shot at 20 goals (only needs 8 in 27 games). If he doesn't cool down too much, hitting 35 assists is a possibility. And 60 pts could if he really doesn't cool down. That would give him the max in bonus A ($1m).
Struble might hit the top 4 TOI for dmen too.

So that 12 million is going to be more like 10m.
I also really doubt management wants to put Price on LTIR again to have even less money in 2025 when they have to give a raise to quite a few of those ELC players...

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
5W 15 losses....trading him will be a major accomplishment for Hughes if he can pull it off
He’d be better on a better team. There’s zero doubt of that. The return won’t be great but he is tradeable. Might need to take on a salary dump but that’s fine.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He’d be better on a better team. There’s zero doubt of that. The return won’t be great but he is tradeable. Might need to take on a salary dump but that’s fine.
Would he?

He was 19-17-8 on a Stanley cup lineup. And that was 5 years ago when he was still in his prime.

All hail the tank commander.

Reactions: Habs13

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I feel Allen hasn't been nearly as bad as people make it seem. He clearly has been inconsistent and not worth close to his salary, but it isn't surprising given the situation he is in. He started the season great and prior to the all-star break, he had a decent .901 save % which wasn't far off Montembeault's .905%. Since the all-star break both him and Montembeault have struggled and had games where they let up 7 goals, the only goalie with decent stats since the break is Primeau who was able to play against the Ducks where almost any goalie would've got a shutout.

In 10 of his 15 losses, the team hasn't scored more than 2 goals so he needs to be close to perfect to pull off a win. In all 5 of his wins he basically needed to steal the game and he made over 30 saves in every win. All of our goalies have to deal with an awful penalty kill and a very inconsistent defence, to top it off it is difficult for them to get into a rhythm with the 3 goalie system given they could see a week or 2 off in between games and they probably see less action in practice with the 3 goalies.

I have been a fan of almost everything HuGo have done so far, but I don't see the point of playing hardball in negotiations with our goalies. The reports are that he's waiting for a team to meet his asking price, however the return will likely be shit anyways so if a team like Colorado was actually interested in taking him just make the trade and go with Montembeault/Primeau.. I just don't think it is fair to the goalies at this point.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

That's Monty's Habs stat line before the extension to Allen.

I remember Allen being the only reason games don't end 7-2 and Primo still had a full year in Laval ahead of him.

The only reason Allen is hard to move right now is his abysmal '24 winter

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

That's Monty's Habs stat line before the extension to Allen.

I remember Allen being the only reason games don't end 7-2 and Primo still had a full year in Laval ahead of him.

The only reason Allen is hard to move right now is his abysmal '24 winter
His contract too. Habs either have to retain half or give him away

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I feel Allen hasn't been nearly as bad as people make it seem. He clearly has been inconsistent and not worth close to his salary, but it isn't surprising given the situation he is in. He started the season great and prior to the all-star break, he had a decent .901 save % which wasn't far off Montembeault's .905%. Since the all-star break both him and Montembeault have struggled and had games where they let up 7 goals, the only goalie with decent stats since the break is Primeau who was able to play against the Ducks where almost any goalie would've got a shutout.

In 10 of his 15 losses, the team hasn't scored more than 2 goals so he needs to be close to perfect to pull off a win. In all 5 of his wins he basically needed to steal the game and he made over 30 saves in every win. All of our goalies have to deal with an awful penalty kill and a very inconsistent defence, to top it off it is difficult for them to get into a rhythm with the 3 goalie system given they could see a week or 2 off in between games and they probably see less action in practice with the 3 goalies.

I have been a fan of almost everything HuGo have done so far, but I don't see the point of playing hardball in negotiations with our goalies. The reports are that he's waiting for a team to meet his asking price, however the return will likely be shit anyways so if a team like Colorado was actually interested in taking him just make the trade and go with Montembeault/Primeau.. I just don't think it is fair to the goalies at this point.
Agree as long as there is no retention. Need a very good return on the last retention spot. Allen is better than most teams backups. Colorado's is shit. Allen would be better but he is no help if the starter gets injured.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad