Player Discussion Jake Allen

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Allen has outplayed Price this season and for three seasons now.

But Price is God and must be worshipped. All kinds of excuses. Last season it was he was overworked. This season he's not getting enough work. LOL.

Reactions: dnl4ever

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Imagine if the Blues just held onto him until the start of the season how many desperate teams would be willing to offer more than a 3rd rounder for Allen.

MB made a great move getting this guy for just a 3rd. Where are all the criers now? I hope they can keep from Seattle.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal

But Price is God and must be worshipped. All kinds of excuses. Last season it was he was overworked. This season he's not getting enough work. LOL.

I kinda agree with this.
When he has a good backup like Halak or Allen, he doesn't play well because he doesn't play enough and doesn't like competition
When he has a bad backup, he plays too much and got tired

I guess he has to play exactly 72.53% of the games to be good.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It would suck if Seattle took him. We havent had a competent backup in forever.

If it looks like Allen will be taken by Seattle (we can't make a side deal for them to take someone else like Byron ++), I'd trade Allen elsewhere and force Seattle to take someone else off of our roster. at least, e'd get assets back for Allen and get rid of some Cap, with through Allen leaving and, unless Seattle takes a Fleury or a Mete, through the player Seattle picks.

There will be takers for Allen at the Cap hit that was negotiated for his extension with Montreal.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Allen is the number one goalie in the NHL 5 on 5 with a SP of .960, Carey Price is 19th at .919.

Looking at trends the last three years(Allen is better in almost every category than Price) I would trade Price to Seattle and go with Allen. It would open up a huge amount of money to spend on a player many cap desperate teams will be looking to shed a big contract and a very good player.

Reactions: dnl4ever

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Honestly - Habs fans/media love to worship the goalie, no matter who it is.

Once Price is gone, the same pressure will be applied to Primeau.

It's what we do...it's partly why Price makes the money he does.

We love to put goalies on a pedestal in Montreal (see Halak).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Honestly - Habs fans/media love to worship the goalie, no matter who it is.

Once Price is gone, the same pressure will be applied to Primeau.

It's what we do...it's partly why Price makes the money he does.

We love to put goalies on a pedestal in Montreal (see Halak).

NHL goalies love the pressure and pedestal. You can’t get to that level without it being a factor. Montreal has always been a place where mediocre goalies find ways to thrive (thinking Huet, Hackett, Moog, Thibault). Combine with the fact that they have two instances of rookie goalies coming out of nowhere to steal the Cup (Dryden and Roy). It’s not a surprise the franchise values the position so highly.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NHL goalies love the pressure and pedestal. You can’t get to that level without it being a factor. Montreal has always been a place where mediocre goalies find ways to thrive (thinking Huet, Hackett, Moog, Thibault). Combine with the fact that they have two instances of rookie goalies coming out of nowhere to steal the Cup (Dryden and Roy). It’s not a surprise the franchise values the position so highly.
That's kind of my point...did these guys really "thrive" or were they just overhyped by the Montreal goalie hype machine?

I don't know...not like I'm suggesting the position isn't important, but it *seems* to have added value in Montreal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's kind of my point...did these guys really "thrive" or were they just overhyped by the Montreal goalie hype machine?

I don't know...not like I'm suggesting the position isn't important, but it *seems* to have added value in Montreal.

That’s a great question. Looking at their stats I’d say they are probably overhyped. Then again, Montreal has had an atrocious defence for the most part since the 90s. Only time it was good was when they had Markov, Hamrlik, Subban, Spacek and Gill under Martin.

Reactions: azcanuck and 417

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Fun fact. Allen has gotten this team 11 points this year already. Last year between Primeau, kinkaid and Lindgren they got us 11 points

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Fun fact. Allen has gotten this team 11 points this year already. Last year between Primeau, kinkaid and Lindgren they got us 11 points

He's been good no doubt.

The team in front of the goalies last year was crap though. For large stretches, we had Cousins, Weal, Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia all in the top 9 and scattered throughout the power play. That's insane.

Reactions: frapp10

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Allen had a great start, did they say his last game he had lost his last 5 games? Obviously some in OT, but has the shine gone?
Look at our goals for in that 5 game stretch.

2 (OT Loss)
3 (OT Loss)
1 (OT Loss)
2 (OT Loss)

Pretty hard to win when you have to be close to perfect to do so. And let's be real, Allen is a back-up goalie. A really good one, but a back-up nonetheless.

Expecting him to win when the team is absolutely garbage in OT and can't get you more than two goals isn't realistic.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Look at our goals for in that 5 game stretch.

2 (OT Loss)
3 (OT Loss)
1 (OT Loss)
2 (OT Loss)

Pretty hard to win when you have to be close to perfect to do so. And let's be real, Allen is a back-up goalie. A really good one, but a back-up nonetheless.

Expecting him to win when the team is absolutely garbage in OT and can't get you more than two goals isn't realistic.
No he hasn't gotten much support...........unfortunate, results, he has been playing well. That looks like our goals scored in the playoffs vs the flyers last year, only we got shutout twice...lol
This has been Price's last 4-5 years......no one feels Allen's pain, the way Price does.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
No he hasn't gotten much support...........unfortunate, results, he has been playing well. That looks like our goals scored in the playoffs vs the flyers last year, only we got shutout twice...lol
This has been Price's last 4-5 years......no one feels Allen's pain, the way Price does.
Allen gets 2.3 goals per game support and Price gets 3.5.

It's time to play Allen more. Price laid an egg saturday in what was billed as the biggest game of the year.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-17_18-2-2.png

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Jake Allen playing for the same team , behind the same D is having a better season than Carey Price. The eye test and the stats are there to back it up. It is something that should not happen when you consider Price is our star player, highest paid player too and some still consider him an elite goalie.

Allen outplaying Price would be comparable to Drouin outproducing Mcdavid. We will never see that because Mcdavid is truly an elite player.

When you take his cap hit into consideration , Prices contract is one if not the worst in the entire league.

I dont care about is reputation. Allen gives us a better chance to win every times is in the net. We really should play him in the playoff. At this point I have a lot more confidence in him and Im sure players feel that way too.

Will we be force to play Price in the playoff because of his salary and reputation over a goalie who outplay him all season long?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Jake Allen playing for the same team , behind the same D is having a better season than Carey Price. The eye test and the stats are there to back it up. It is something that should not happen when you consider Price is our star player, highest paid player too and some still consider him an elite goalie.

Allen outplaying Price would be comparable to Drouin outproducing Mcdavid. We will never see that because Mcdavid is truly an elite player.

When you take his cap hit into consideration , Prices contract is one if not the worst in the entire league.

I dont care about is reputation. Allen gives us a better chance to win every times is in the net. We really should play him in the playoff. At this point I have a lot more confidence in him and Im sure players feel that way too.

Will we be force to play Price in the playoff because of his salary and reputation over a goalie who outplay him all season long?
Disagree about the playoffs. Price is still able to put up a world-class performance for stretches.

Other than that, fully agreed. Unless Price can magically recover, his contract is a huge liability for years to come.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I would start Allen in the playoffs and for the expansion draft I would leave both Price and Weber exposed and hopes Seattle takes one of them otherwise our cap situation for the next couple of years is tense

Reactions: azcanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->