Jaime Drysdale

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If Drysdale is picked I think the eventual move is Hronek being dealt.
It’s possible, but I really don’t think asking a D to play off side is a huge deal. We’ve rolled with almost all LD our entire cup window. And if your going to ask a righty to play left, I think It may actually benefit an offensive guy. Just opens up better shot and passing angles.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What can we get for Hronek?
I just think we should wait until we have a surplus of good RD and a need elsewhere before we start projecting guys on the way out. Maybe we end up with three first pairing quality RD, every pair is high quality and being able to roll three fresh first pairings is the backbone of our team. Maybe someone swaps to LD. Maybe Seider's development stalls, Hronek deals with injuries and we end up with too many good RD anyway because Lindstrom becomes amazing, Cholowski has a huge development leap after switching to his off side and we draft Drysdale whom becomes our best player. If we had two young top pairing RD right now, I could understand targeting other needs in the draft, but we're not overstocked or even stocked anywhere yet.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If Drysdale is picked I think the eventual move is Hronek being dealt.

Maybe, but it won't happen anytime soon. Truthfully, people make too much of players playing their offside. It isn't the death sentence that Babcock tried to make it out to be.

Reactions: SirloinUB

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It’s possible, but I really don’t think asking a D to play off side is a huge deal. We’ve rolled with almost all LD our entire cup window. And if your going to ask a righty to play left, I think It may actually benefit an offensive guy. Just opens up better shot and passing angles.

Most left handed D have switched sides during development. Now we deployed Seider and Hronek at times on the left this year and in my opinion both saw a reduction in their effectiveness. But a big reason for that is right handers really never switch sides. They just really haven't, Trouba did for a minute in Winnipeg but it is very rare and they don't draw any experience from having done it before because they have likely been deployed on the right their entire hockey career.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I don't see Yzerman picking Drysdale. Mainly because he sees the big picture, next year this team is going to be bad as it was this year. 2021 draft is full with good d-men prospects, just to name few. Brandt Clarke, Luke Hughes, Owen Power, Daniil Chayka, Simon Edvinsson, Stanislav Svozil. And during next season other new names will pop up, like they always do.

Second thing is that clearly Yzerman likes to have big defensive corps in his team. He's not afraid to pick smallish forwards, since he was smallish forward too. But through his own experience he knows big d-men are harder to play against, doesn't matter if you big or small forward. And probably by not drafting Seth Jones has scarred him little bit.

In Tampa, Yzerman drafted 22 d-men and only 4 was under 6'0''.
Adam Janosik, 3rd round pick, 72 overall, 2010 draft, never signed.
Nikita Nesterov, 5th round pick, 148 overall, 2011 draft, played 119 games, before he was traded.
Tony DeAngelo, 1st round pick, 19 overall, 2014 draft, signed and traded.
Ryan Zuhlsdorf, 5th round pick, 150 overall, 2015 draft, unsigned

And during Yzerman-era in Tampa only 3 d-men under 6'0'' played for them. Nesterov 119 games, Marc-Andre Bergeron 83 games and Matt Taormina 12 games.

Drysdale would have to a very special player, if Yzerman picks him.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don't see Yzerman picking Drysdale. Mainly because he sees the big picture, next year this team is going to be bad as it was this year. 2021 draft is full with good d-men prospects, just to name few. Brandt Clarke, Luke Hughes, Owen Power, Daniil Chayka, Simon Edvinsson, Stanislav Svozil. And during next season other new names will pop up, like they always do.

Second thing is that clearly Yzerman likes to have big defensive corps in his team. He's not afraid to pick smallish forwards, since he was smallish forward too. But through his own experience he knows big d-men are harder to play against, doesn't matter if you big or small forward. And probably by not drafting Seth Jones has scarred him little bit.

In Tampa, Yzerman drafted 22 d-men and only 4 was under 6'0''.
Adam Janosik, 3rd round pick, 72 overall, 2010 draft, never signed.
Nikita Nesterov, 5th round pick, 148 overall, 2011 draft, played 119 games, before he was traded.
Tony DeAngelo, 1st round pick, 19 overall, 2014 draft, signed and traded.
Ryan Zuhlsdorf, 5th round pick, 150 overall, 2015 draft, unsigned

And during Yzerman-era in Tampa only 3 d-men under 6'0'' played for them. Nesterov 119 games, Marc-Andre Bergeron 83 games and Matt Taormina 12 games.

Drysdale would have to a very special player, if Yzerman picks him.
You make some very good points. Drysdale would definitely have to be very special. Is he going to be another Niedermayer? I don't really think he's got that much offense but his skating looks elite, and he's smart. Definitely in the mix if we pick 4th, but as you say about 2021 D class looking really good maybe SY takes Raymond as BPA with no hesitation. I could see Rossi being a Datsyuk superfan prodigy but I get that is uncertain.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
To answer the OPs question in a different way...Drysdale is excellent, I think he's better than Byram was last year, a better prospect than Hughes was at time of draft (remember, Hughes has exceeded his projection - this isn't me saying that Drysdale will be better than Hughes), and is absolutely the guy we should take if the draft lottery format goes unchanged and we end up picking 4th, our most likely draft position.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Don't know if you have seen this but I thought it was great. Hard to believe Drysdale just turned 18 few days ago. Try to imagine if he had talent around him in Erie.

He looks like the 'Dylan Larkin' of defense. Fast, agile, plays with lots of energy, smart, quick thinking, high IQ, refuses to get beat, and a real team guy. If he can develop an elite shot, he's going to be a game breaker night-in, night-out. Whoever gets this kid will greatly improve their entire hockey franchise up to another level for the next 15-20 years. He's going to make a name for himself as a top 5 NHL dman when he hits his prime by the age 24/25. For sure all-star potential. Yes, he's going to be on another level than Byram. Mark my words.

Would I trade the #1 overall (Laf) to Ottawa if that means we get Stutzle and Drysdale? You bet your ass I would! And laugh all the way to the bank!!!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He looks like the 'Dylan Larkin' of defense. Fast, agile, plays with lots of energy, smart, quick thinking, high IQ, refuses to get beat, and a real team guy. If he can develop an elite shot, he's going to be a game breaker night-in, night-out. Whoever gets this kid will greatly improve their entire hockey franchise up to another level for the next 15-20 years. He's going to make a name for himself as a top 5 NHL dman when he hits his prime by the age 24/25. For sure all-star potential. Yes, he's going to be on another level than Byram. Mark my words.

Would I trade the #1 overall (Laf) to Ottawa if that means we get Stutzle and Drysdale? You bet your ass I would! And laugh all the way to the bank!!!
100 percent agree

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

I'd do that deal honestly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Pretty much this. Been telling the same all time. Yzerman went after Seider, because he knows he will be a future nightmare to play against. Same will happen with McIsaac, he will have a future role. Tough to play against - with skill. Hronek is tough to play against , so is Nemeth. That's the direction. These guys will wear the opposite forwards down in a playoff series. Yzerman faced these Scott Stevenses, Adam Footes and Chris Prongers during his career on a playoff series, and knows the effect of wearing down. Or what happened to others when they had to face Vladdy or prime Chelios.

We will get the skill somewhere. And Drysdale is not our option. He is the best defenceman in a weak defenceman class, and gets more familiar for everybody all the time, because everybody checks his highlights. Oh, he looks good. Because no one else in this class won't look good. And the hype grows.

I'm not saying that he will be bad, but there's also some flaws which doesn't make him a no-brainer pick. Top8 talent. Won't go in Top3, but somewhere there.

It could be that Torey Krug signs for us with only money at summer, and the need for a "drysdale" is gone at same day.

But the need for future skill center still exists. That's what you don't fill from anywhere. There's no Centers at free agency, or at Europe, like there will be solid defencemen and goalies. And wingers. We already partially plugged the RhD hole on last draft and next draft is full of Def on our pick range. Then we'll maybe try to find a "falling drysdale".

Center is the thing what we are gonna draft with the top pick. That's what we lack, that's what this draft is offering at our pick range and there's no plan B for this.

So you operate with the plan A.

Last edited:

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Pretty much this. Been telling the same all time. Yzerman went after Seider, because he knows he will be a future nightmare to play against. Same will happen with McIsaac, he will have a future role. Tough to play against - with skill. Hronek is tough to play against , so is Nemeth. That's the direction. These guys will wear the opposite forwards down in a playoff series. Yzerman faced these Scott Stevenses, Adam Footes and Chris Prongers during his career on a playoff series, and knows the effect of wearing down. Or what happened to others when they had to face Vladdy or prime Chelios.

We will get the skill somewhere. And Drysdale is not our option. He is the best defenceman in a weak defenceman class, and gets more familiar for everybody all the time, because everybody checks his highlights. Oh, he looks good. Because no one else in this class won't look good. And the hype grows.

I'm not saying that he will be bad, but there's also some flaws which doesn't make him a no-brainer pick. Top8 talent. Won't go in Top3, but somewhere there.

It could be that Torey Krug signs for us with only money at summer, and the need for a "drysdale" is gone at same day.

But the need for future skill center still exists. That's what you don't fill from anywhere. There's no Centers at free agency, or at Europe, like there will be solid defencemen and goalies. And wingers. We already partially plugged the RhD hole on last draft and next draft is full of Def on our pick range. Then we'll maybe try to find a "falling drysdale".

Center is the thing what we are gonna draft with the top pick. That's what we lack, that's what this draft is offering at our pick range and there's no plan B for this.

So you operate with the plan A.
I am disappointed that you missed a golden opportunity to use the proper plural form of Adam Foote (Adam Feetses) in a sentence o_O

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd go:

1) Hughes
2) Drysdale
3) Byram
4) Boqvist
5 & 6) Bouchard/Dobson

With that said, I still would not pick Drysdale at 4. I know scouts and GMs will always say "pick the BPA", but we have an abundance of RHD in the system (Seider, Hronek, Tuomisto & Lindstrom). I know it never fits together as we think it will, but Seider is a 1st pair guy, Hronek is perfect 2nd pair guy who can run the 1st PP and Lindstrom looks to me as a solid 3rd pair guy. This already leaves Tuomisto (who I think is going to play in the NHL) to figure out.

Obviously having too much talent in a certain position is a good problem to have, but to me, if we pick 4, and assuming its Laf, Byfield, Stutzle at 1-3, I would prefer Perfetti, Raymond or Rossi.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
drysdale just turned 18 in april . and it seems like all his height and weight data comes from back before then . and every source had him at 5'11'' so im thinking he could very well end up 6' . and to me height is more important than weight because it means greater reach (important for dmen) and also longer stride for open ice speed . 6' right handed scott neidermyer clone might go 3 to sens . if not ide bet redwings get alot of offers for that pick from teams wanting him .

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't have any issue if he is our pick. He looked decent for Canada at the juniors and he seemed to be on the lower end of ice time among defenders during that. Seems like he will be a smooth puck mover who isn't horrible in his own end and has offensive upside.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If the rumours about him being considered at 2 by LA are true, you gotta wonder what some in here are missing that dont like Drysdale. I would be fine with him at 4 and think hes a potential number one D.Some dont like that he isnt a Makar or Hughes style of player, but theres plenty of dmen in the NHL better than those guys that play differently

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Would be fine with Drysdale at 4. Sucks it’s a a position of strength for us. If Seider or Hronek was a LD i think everyone would want him more here at least

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the rumours about him being considered at 2 by LA are true, you gotta wonder what some in here are missing that dont like Drysdale. I would be fine with him at 4 and think hes a potential number one D.Some dont like that he isnt a Makar or Hughes style of player, but theres plenty of dmen in the NHL better than those guys that play differently

Guys that have been on the radar longer seem to get picked apart more. Drysdale was so good in his -1 year that he was put under a microscope this year even more. I think the same thing happened to an extent with both Lundell and Zary as well.

I like all 3 of those guys a lot, personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad