Jaime Drysdale

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Didn't Yzerman hire the NSH scout? (that was crucial in those picks)
Kris Draper - Director of amateur scouting
Ryan Rezmierski- Chief amateur scout (hired from Nashville)
Jesse Wallin - Chief amateur scout (hired from St. Louis)
So looking at the types of players Nashville and St. Louis drafted could tell us something.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So looking at the types of players Nashville and St. Louis drafted could tell us something.
That RR hire was a coup! Verbeek, our beloved little ball of hate returning home is the other.

Wallin can make good on a wasted 1st rd. pick circa '96. Maybe he drafts the next Adam Oates?:DD

Things are coming full circle. Now to get a Bure & Edler from VAN. :nod::naughty::D:laugh:

Last edited:

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009

Detroit Red Wings - 2026 Stanley Cup Champions. :-P

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Here's the 11-12 preds
---
So anyone that played 45 games or more? Drafted by Nashville.

They also had some eye for great derenceman from Finland on early Nashville days. Traded for Kimmo Timonen and also for Jere Karalahti, who would have become a "finnish shea weber" if not having a bad alcohol problem. It has been obvious that they can find the talent.

Timonen was the only player who managed to get both 2004 World Cup and 2006 Olympics All star teams.

Both were drafted by Kings, but traded to Nashville.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They also had some eye for great derenceman from Finland on early Nashville days. Traded for Kimmo Timonen and also for Jere Karalahti, who would have become a "finnish shea weber" if not having a bad alcohol problem. It has been obvious that they can find the talent.

Timonen was the only player who managed to get both 2004 World Cup and 2006 Olympics All star teams.

Both were drafted by Kings, but traded to Nashville.

They've got another good one coming in David Farrance - who the Wings should have drafted :) Farrance just went 14-29-43 in 34 games for BU, leading his team in scoring.
He led all NCAA defensemen in goals and points and points per game.

The might have a decent prospect in Spencer Stastney, too. The fifth round sophomore led Notre Dame defensemen in scoring.
Vladislav Yeryomenko is in the KHL and last year went 3-7-10 as a KHL rookie with Minsk Dynamo.

2019 draft picks are
Semyon Chystyakov - 5'9 blueliner who went 4-17-21 in 27 MHL games. He's playing in the KHL this year.
Marc Del Gaizo- 5'10 defenseman who went 4-11-15 for UMass-Amherst last year.

They've definitely shifted toward 5'9/5'10/5'11 defensemen in drafts recently...at least in later rounds.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They've got another good one coming in David Farrance - who the Wings should have drafted :) Farrance just went 14-29-43 in 34 games for BU, leading his team in scoring.
He led all NCAA defensemen in goals and points and points per game.

Funny coincidence, was an hour a go checking Trevor Zegras' stats from BU. And noticed this defencean who had scored team-high points as D.

Didn't know he was Nashville drafted, but not surpriced at all, again.

Hope that Rezmierzki will turn that D drafting totally upsidedown.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm not calling you out specifically, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people post projections of lineups 3 to 4 years out made entirely of drafted players.

Is there a single NHL defensive unit that is comprised entirely of players drafted by that team?
It's pretty typical for a rebuilding team to have mostly homegrown players, the Caps were that way with Alzner (left UFA), Carlson, Green (left UFA), Schmidt (expansion draft), Orlov, and Carrick (didn't pan out) in 2013 - 2014 season. Erskine who was mostly just an enforcer was the only D not drafted by the Caps. Then the team makes adjustment like the Preds did, and the Caps who bought Orpik and Niskanen in UFA and let Alzner and Green leave.

I expect Stevie to do something similar, he didn't snag the league's best amateur D scout so that he can pay big money to Krug. I don;t expect all of the prospects to pan out, and I'm sure there will be trades eventually, but the team needs to figure out what they have first. I also expect some more top gaps like Nemeth in the meantime.

Reactions: odin1981

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
If we get both of them, I'd much rather split them and have each run their own pairings in our top 4 for close to 50 minutes of each game.
Sanderson - Seider
Power - Hronek

If these guys develop at all like they're expected to, that's a brutal team to match up against. It would hardly even matter that our forward depth evaporates after Mantha, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Zadina, Veleno*, and Rasmussen**.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
too bad we couldn't bring over al murray

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I read something by Pronman that some NHL execs/front office guys think Detroit could take Drysdale to "finish" rebuilding their defense. So NHL front office staffs dont think the wings D is far off from being rebuilt. They need talent everywhere so if Drysdale is the BPA take him, but their forward group needs serious help and if their D is that close to rebuilt, a forward might actually make more sense.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I read something by Pronman that some NHL execs/front office guys think Detroit could take Drysdale to "finish" rebuilding their defense. So NHL front office staffs dont think the wings D is far off from being rebuilt. They need talent everywhere so if Drysdale is the BPA take him, but their forward group needs serious help and if their D is that close to rebuilt, a forward might actually make more sense.

This makes me even more certain we'll draft Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi if Stutzle isn't available. Our defense is YEARS away from being rebuilt.

Reactions: Gniwder

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If we get both of them, I'd much rather split them and have each run their own pairings in our top 4 for close to 50 minutes of each game.

I would rather have a top pairing like Tampa or Columbus. Hronek and Sanderson would be an awesome second pairing.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sanderson - Seider
Power - Hronek

If these guys develop at all like they're expected to, that's a brutal team to match up against. It would hardly even matter that our forward depth evaporates after Mantha, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Zadina, Veleno*, and Rasmussen**.

We would still have 2-3 year's of top ten drafting to improve are forward core as Power, Sanderson/Drysdale, and Seider acclimated to the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Sanderson - Seider
Power - Hronek

NSH Preds the last ~15 yrs say hello.

VAN mid-late 2000's to ~2013 say hello.

We'd still need a real 2C if Fabbri doesn't cut it as one (really hoping he does), it's his natural & preferred position.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
NSH Preds the last ~15 yrs say hello.

VAN mid-late 2000's to ~2013 say hello.

We'd still need a real 2C if Fabbri doesn't cut it as one (really hoping he does), it's his natural & preferred position.
True. We do will need more forward depth, but I think that we'll have chances to do that between Veleno, our 2020 & 2021 second round picks, and a top 10 pick in 2022. I mean, say we luck out and snag Wright (I know, I'm already rolling dice on Power, though Clarke, Hughes, et alia could just as easily cover that base). I realize this is an optimistic take re:development), but we could roll into the 2022-2023 season with something like:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Veleno - Wright - Zadina
TBD - Rasmussen - Fabbri
TBD - Glendening - TBD

Power - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Johansson - McIsaac

TBD
TBD​

I don't think that team has too many missing pieces if guys develop as expected. Our bottom six can get filled out pretty easily. We'd really only be shy a couple goaltenders.

*Edit: Edvinsson over Power for a left-side son-side?

Edvinsson - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Johansson - McIsaac​

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
True. We do will need more forward depth, but I think that we'll have chances to do that between Veleno, our 2020 & 2021 second round picks, and a top 10 pick in 2022. I mean, say we luck out and snag Wright (I know, I'm already rolling dice on Power, though Clarke, Hughes, et alia could just as easily cover that base). I realize this is an optimistic take re:development), but we could roll into the 2022-2023 season with something like:

Veleno - Wright - Zadina
TBD - Rasmussen - Fabbri
TBD - Glendening - TBD

Power - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Johansson - McIsaac

TBD
TBD​

I don't think that team has too many missing pieces if guys develop as expected. Our bottom six can get filled out pretty easily. We'd really only be shy a couple goaltenders.

Giovanni Smith takes one of the bottom six winger spots. UFA #1 goalie and backup (Bernier will be in decline by then), and then we only need two bottom six pick-ups which are generally cheap compared to top six options.

I'd be inclined to have Veleno as third line center and Rasmussen as the net front for Wright and Zadina. Both of them are shooter's and Ras's big body in the goalies way I believe would be more effective, but that's just personal preference.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Veleno - Wright - Zadina
TBD - Rasmussen - Fabbri
TBD - Glendening - TBD

Power - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Johansson - McIsaac

TBD
TBD​

*Edit: Edvinsson over Power for a left-side son-side?

Edvinsson - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Johansson - McIsaac​
The team doesn't need forward depth, it needs an elite scorer and/or playmaker. If we pick someone that can bump Larkin down to 2C, that's really all the depth we need considering he can PP, PK, play center or wing.

So what do the center prospects look like for 2022? 2 more seasons of sucking and we might finally have a decent building block.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The team doesn't need forward depth, it needs an elite scorer and/or playmaker. If we pick someone that can bump Larkin down to 2C, that's really all the depth we need considering he can PP, PK, play center or wing.

So what do the center prospects look like for 2022? 2 more seasons of sucking and we might finally have a decent building block.

Best center prospect since McDavid to most people is coming out in 2022 so theres that to look forward to and get our dreams crushed...

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I like the idea of drafting your defense first. Even with the Makars, heiskanens and Hugheses of the world, defenseman often take longer to mature.

Just not Drysdale.
We're set at RD, I hope.
And Sanderson is just as good, or better, on the left side, where we don't have anyone who compares with Seider or Hronek yet.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I like the idea of drafting your defense first. Even with the Makars, heiskanens and Hugheses of the world, defenseman often take longer to mature.

Just not Drysdale.
We're set at RD, I hope.
And Sanderson is just as good, or better, on the left side, where we don't have anyone who compares with Seider or Hronek yet.

At LD we have Johansson and McIsaac, in potential 2nd liners. I dont see Sanderson being a 1st liner

Reactions: SirloinUB

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Just not Drysdale.
We're set at RD, I hope.

We disagree on Drysdale and Sanderson but regardless of that, its refreshing to see NHL executives telling a scout that Detroit is basically one piece away from having their defense "rebuilt". Especially with a great dman draft coming up next year if they dont get one this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->