Jagr a Devil Part II: May be an Alien Edition

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I think it's more to do with the fact that the Devils are allowing Jagr to play his game, have you watched him play?

Im agreeing with you on that. I think our system suits Jagr very well. Id just like it if we had at least 2-3 more forwards matching or coming close to Jagr's performance. im not saying they have the same skill level or whatever, but id like to get more out of Travs and Henrique in particular

but in regards to the Captain thing, it doesnt sit well with me giving Jagr the C away from Sal after 20 games just because hes our best forward and interacts with the media etc and it doesnt seem like a Lou move. I mean sure, im not the biggest fan of Sal being Captain, id actually rather see Greene or maybe even Travs take it. Jagr would make a good C but the timing and reasoning isnt right atm. I thought it was really odd when Minny gave Parise and Suter the A's day 1

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think it's more to do with the fact that the Devils are allowing Jagr to play his game, have you watched him play? In the past month or so, he's been the best player on the ice on most nights and he's played against Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Perey, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Suter and Chara in that stretch. Other teams probably wouldn't have needed Jagr to be doing what he's doing but it doesn't take away from the fact that Jagr has been flat out dominant and to think that if his linemates and teammates (namely Ryder)would be able to finish on some of the great passes and setups Jagr gave them he would be well over PPG and you realize just how good he's been.

I agree though, "if it ain't broke then don't fix it".

The poster you are quoting is a Devils fan (not just a Jagr fan). Why are you questioning whether a Devils fan has watched Jagr play?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
The poster you are quoting is a Devils fan (not just a Jagr fan). Why are you questioning whether a Devils fan has watched Jagr play?

I only pay attention to the game when the 4th line is on. I only miss about 40 seconds of the game though so its all good :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here, but I want him back next season.

Heck, I want him to retire a Devil, however far off that is.

apice3*

Why does it upset you so much?

Jagr has been the defacto captain and where would they be without him?

He's been leading on the ice, leading off the ice, helping his teammates out, helping with the coaching it seems and basically boosting his linemates' and teammates' confidence.

If that is not Captain material then I don't know what is.

Because it's a completely juvenile way of thinking and is a ridiculous idea.

Jagr is here on a one year deal, has played 1/4 of a season, and is a leader with or without a letter on his jersey. Do you really think what this team needs right now is to make a spectacle of the locker room by publicly shaming Salvador, one of the longest tenured Devils, and giving the C to a guy based on a 22 game sample?

How quickly you guys forget how embarrassed Elias was when he was stripped of the C calling it the worst moment of his career. Yeah, let's go through that again. That will create a mess and players will end up choosing sides and splitting the locker room in half. All because of a stupid ****ing patch being placed on a jersey.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas

Jagr is here on a one year deal, has played 1/4 of a season, and is a leader with or without a letter on his jersey. Do you really think what this team needs right now is to make a spectacle of the locker room by publicly shaming Salvador, one of the longest tenured Devils, and giving the C to a guy based on a 22 game sample?

How quickly you guys forget how embarrassed Elias was when he was stripped of the C calling it the worst moment of his career. Yeah, let's go through that again. That will create a mess and players will end up choosing sides and splitting the locker room in half. All because of a stupid ****ing patch being placed on a jersey.

Yep. Well reasoned.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Im agreeing with you on that. I think our system suits Jagr very well. Id just like it if we had at least 2-3 more forwards matching or coming close to Jagr's performance. im not saying they have the same skill level or whatever, but id like to get more out of Travs and Henrique in particular

but in regards to the Captain thing, it doesnt sit well with me giving Jagr the C away from Sal after 20 games just because hes our best forward and interacts with the media etc and it doesnt seem like a Lou move. I mean sure, im not the biggest fan of Sal being Captain, id actually rather see Greene or maybe even Travs take it. Jagr would make a good C but the timing and reasoning isnt right atm. I thought it was really odd when Minny gave Parise and Suter the A's day 1

I agree with this.

Again I didn't have an issue with Jagr not getting a letter on his chest, I just thought it was odd that those who wanted him to be given the C were being picked on is all.

The locker room seems tight nit right now and Jagr and Brodeur seem to have a camaraderie going but if C changes, it could cause a rift in the locker room and the Devils would be a mess.

So I do agree in regards to that.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Could you imagine Jagr getting the C and breaking his hip the next day? Yeah it's not going to happen. Also the team could fall apart and would you really want your #1 trade bait to be a captain? Like who would want to have a captain of a team for 20-30 games, it would be ridiculous. He had the A for a little while. While i agree he is pretty much the leader of the team in a way, he should not get the C, mainly due to possible injury, retirement or trade bait.

Now if you guys extend him at like 4 million a year for 2-3 years, then go ahead and give it to him! But the chances of that happening are slim to none.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Now if you guys extend him at like 4 million a year for 2-3 years, then go ahead and give it to him! But the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Not talking C here, but who would extend Jagr for 2 more years at his current contract?

$2mil base, $2 mil 40 game bonus?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Jagr has a cool personality and everything, but what makes people feel he's cut out to be captain of this team? Being entertaining isn't really good criteria.

Good work ethic, obvious respect from team mates, and I think the entertaining factor is evidence of his ability to communicate with team mates.

JagZZajac

Nov 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I would love to see Jagr as captain but lets not forget Sal is well liked among his teammates and taking the "C" away from him could upset the locker room chemistry. Plus as great of a teammate Jagr is, I don't think he would drop the gloves like Sal did here
http://youtu.be/MiZBxj1uqF8

unkempt

Oct 19, 2006

:handclap::handclap: Finally someone with a bit of sense!!!
The balance within a team is a very fragile thing. Let's not tinker with that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Im not advocating taking away the C from sal. But let's be real, since he got the C, the record with him in the lineup is awful. And since he got hurt we've been rolling.

Most were in agreement that the old dino's on the back line were holding the squad back. And now that they are out, it seems that theory has proven true. But now everyone has Sal's back in terms of not taking away the C? And giving it to a hockey legend who has clearly been our best player is blasphemy?

I dunno, I guess we have to stand on principle over reality?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad