News Article: Jacques & Nathan Beaulieu each charged with 2 counts of assault

Dawnbringer

Jan 29, 2013
well if they're bringing criminal charges, that's different. The Govt brings those irrespective of what private citizens do or want.

Depends on the charge. For instance Trespassing clearly requires someone willing to press charges. For a plain assault charge it also requires someone wanting to press charges. For aggravated assault they don't need someone to press charges (and can even subpoena the victim to testify against the accused if nescessary).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sounds like he got drunk, words were exchanged, got in a fight and beat someone up giving them minor injuries and they decided to press charges. Not a great situation but I doubt much comes from it.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
That leads me to ask. Khabibulin did jail time in the summer like 3 years ago. Pavelec got caught drunk droving. Those guys have a criminal record for sure. There must be a way to pass around that because it's their job to go in the U.S.

Anyone could clarify that?

From what I understand:
The border CAN reject anyone they want. But they look at two types of crimes: Crimes of passion, and Crimes of moral turpitude. To my understanding, the former is an "in the moment thing" where it holds no bearing on the person's actual character (so if you get charged for simple assault, or drunk driving, you can argue that it was a heat-of-the-moment action and you're actually a really good person in general).
Crimes of moral turpitude which WILL get you turned away from the border are things like armed robbery, sexual assault, premeditated murder, things that really prove that you're a rotten person who had full intentions to commit a crime, then committed said crime.

In the case of Beaulieu, if it's just an afternoon father-son brawl, it could've been a heated argument that escalated, or something where a fight broke out and one side charges the other. This type of stuff happens all the time, and he'd have no problem crossing the border.

THAT BEING SAID, the border is very lenient on offering special treatment to people who can bring in considerable money to the US/Canada. For example, when Snoop Dogg plays festivals in Canada, they give him a temporary pass to pay his shows and get out. He has a criminal record, but they know that wherever he goes, the city/venue/etc. are going to make seven digits a night. On the other hand, countless small bands who are trying to "make it" touring in vans, playing to a couple hundred people always get turned back for trivial reasons, because in the grand scheme of things, they bring very little to the country they're visiting. For Beaulieu, he's a part of the Canadiens, a team that's going to go to a city, play in front of tens of thousands of paying spectators. He's definitely bringing in money to wherever he's playing, so I can't imagine any issues.

Now if this case is serious and he is given jail time which would surprise me a lot, then the team would probably release him, but I'm really not sure on that one.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I don't think they sweat DUI convictions at the boarder, probably lose too much tourism. This is just US policy so Im guessing you can hire people, like a lawyer, to deal with US officials to see that he can get in and out. Also could depend on Khabibulins US immigration status, dual citizenship etc.

Yes they do one of my best friends was turned away because of his until he got a pardon for it. Even then it is the border guards discression if they want to allow you to come to the US they can turn you away no questions asked.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Some of the comments in this thread are down right scary... I just hope they were made by 12yo kids thinking about their courtyard justice...

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
The States seem to consider felonies as much more serious then a misdemeanor, which they are, obviously.

Say, if Nathan pleads guilty of a misdemeanor he probably won't have trouble playing in the States but there will be a lot more paperwork and it's more questionable if he's found guilty of what the States consider is a felony.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
"The evidence presented is that there was a disagreement which resulted in an altercation against the first victim. That victim then left, and there was a second altercation which resulted in the second being assaulted."

In both assaults, the father and son teamed up on their victims -- one of the victim being a former player of Jacques' -- said police.

Essentially. They both beat up 1 person. The person leaves then they both beat up another.

Very odd set of circumstances, looks like they worked together to find trouble here. We have to consider that when you double team someone...twice...in the same night. You just might be a ******bag

void

Jan 5, 2006
Essentially. They both beat up 1 person. The person leaves then they both beat up another.

Very odd set of circumstances, looks like they worked together to find trouble here. We have to consider that when you double team someone...twice...in the same night. You just might be a ******bag

Yikes... That's pretty bad. I guess they both deserve what's coming to them.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Listen, the kid has anger issues and perhaps a drinking problem.

Also, he did not hit a women in any of this.

The only issue I have really is that his father was there to help him out.

This kid has potential but he needs to learn to be more independent... He has all the signs of a great hockey player.

Dawnbringer

Jan 29, 2013
Yikes... That's pretty bad. I guess they both deserve what's coming to them.

Ah yes, because if your Father/Son gets into a fight you should just standby and watch. Given that the charges are assault and not aggravated assault, it's not like they were both curb stomping the same person. Way to many judgements being made (both ways) with the complete lack of details we have.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Ah yes, because if your Father/Son gets into a fight you should just standby and watch. Given that the charges are assault and not aggravated assault, it's not like they were both curb stomping the same person. Way to many judgements being made (both ways) with the complete lack of details we have.

Fair enough, but twice in same night? I'm not sure how we can conceive that as acceptable. Granted, there's many details being left out at this point but with what we have, it doesn't look good on their part but who knows. Unless they went to a house party where they weren't welcome and it was essentially a "let's cause trouble for the beaulieu family" contest.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

Yup, kinda what I'm thinking. But let's wait and see when the facts fully come out (assuming that they do).

At the least, coupled with some of this other baggage, sounds like Beaulieu Jr. has some growing up to do. And maybe Sr. too

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I'm glad to see you are willing to pass judgment quickly on another individual after a press release and few comments on a hockey forum.

not just that, there are other things that pt to immaturity

and btw, "starting to think he might be a tool" is not the same as passing judgment quickly. I'm glad to see your reading comprehension is up to snuff.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Without knowing more I won't pass judgement, but I wouldn't be that shocked considering Beaulieu's personality.

But it would be a big, big mistake to trade the kid because of this. The fact that his father was involved says more about his upbringing than it does about his future. My baseless speculation is that he was drinking with his family, someone insulted him or his father and they overreacted.

Listen, the kid has anger issues and perhaps a drinking problem.

Also, he did not hit a women in any of this.

The only issue I have really is that his father was there to help him out.

This kid has potential but he needs to learn to be more independent... He has all the signs of a great hockey player.

"A drinking problem" is a bit of a stretch. Not really a good thing to accuse him of without more information of his history. If doing something regrettable while drunk means you have a drinking problem, a lot of us would have drinking problems.

Analyzer*

An altercation could just mean a heated argument. It doesn't mean they did any bodily harm to him.

Being assaulted could also mean they simply pushed the person and told them to GTFO

To assume altercation automatically means they beat people up is trying to make this seem worse. If they actually did bodily harm they'd be in a jail cell.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I know this probably won't come across well, but do you ever just look at someone and say to yourself, without even knowing them, "that kid is a major ****** bag.."

Well, for me, that's Nathan Beaulieu. :laugh: I've thought that way since before the 2011 draft.

Glad to have him as a player, though.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I'm glad to see you are willing to pass judgment quickly on another individual after a press release and few comments on a hockey forum.

lol come on... Everyone knows that Beaulieu has "issues". There's no denying that he's very immature and a bit of a do*che. Not a big deal since he's still young but he definitely has to work on his attitude.

Pricef*

I for one will wait until he is convicted before I started branding him or his father as bad people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad