Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
His d game seems much better when he’s Scott Stevensing it up in the neutral zone.

NYR D so passive up till the circles - it’s gotta be coaching. I mean fk it let’s go 1-3-1 if we are up. It’s going to be better than this collapse

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
jake may well be some what miscast in the role as top pair matchup guy. his instincts sometimes are questionable and he seems occasionally slow to process fluid situations- which happens sometimes in ice hockey lol. but for the most part, hes done very well. he eats minutes, coach finds him dependable and he stays out of the box plus hes been healthy. he can log a ton of ice and play both PP and PK. sounds like a top pair guy to me.

the problem is his partner. brady hasent developed and those 2 together are sometime a comedy of errors and that translates directly into ghastly goals against.

this defense continues to struggle at preventing dangerous scoring chances become they just yield too much ice and back in as though they are being taught to do just that.

its as though stepping up and getting burned is the only consideration and thus, they step back and give space.

to me they play a very passive protective system almost like there are 2 marc staals on every pair and they all play like staal plays. dont go up ice, dont get caught flat footed in no mans land and dont step- do something stupid- and create odd man chances against. they play afraid.

you listening lindy ?

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Funny how the Trouba haters come here after one of his worst games of the year. He and Skjei sucked big time especially late in the game but he has looked good in a lot of games as well.

I don't hate him. I'd just rather my favorite team not be the one wasting eight million in cap space for 6 more seasons on him. His trade protections start next summer. The clock is ticking.

Deleted member 23124

jake may well be some what miscast in the role as top pair matchup guy. his instincts sometimes are questionable and he seems occasionally slow to process fluid situations- which happens sometimes in ice hockey lol. but for the most part, hes done very well. he eats minutes, coach finds him dependable and he stays out of the box plus hes been healthy. he can log a ton of ice and play both PP and PK. sounds like a top pair guy to me.

the problem is his partner. brady hasent developed and those 2 together are sometime a comedy of errors and that translates directly into ghastly goals against.

this defense continues to struggle at preventing dangerous scoring chances become they just yield too much ice and back in as though they are being taught to do just that.

its as though stepping up and getting burned is the only consideration and thus, they step back and give space.

to me they play a very passive protective system almost like there are 2 marc staals on every pair and they all play like staal plays. dont go up ice, dont get caught flat footed in no mans land and dont step- do something stupid- and create odd man chances against. they play afraid.

you listening lindy ?
I don't get why people insist on blaming Ruff for this....they were playing like this before he got here....the fact that nothing has changed indicates that he is not running the defense -- the question is who he's taking orders from.

We had the same problem with the powerplay after the first lockout....Perry Pearn was vilified for it...odd that the same troubles continued long after Pearn was gone.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Trouba plays an important role on this team that is very easy to under-appreciate.

Having said that, I think he’s essentially been what should’ve been expected. And that was my fear was going in - people getting a very well-equipped Camry, but expecting a Cadillac.
We didn’t pay Camry prices... we paid BMW

That being said I agree he’s been as advertised. On a team w a decent defense (players and system) he probably looks a lot better. He looked really slow last night tho

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

That being said I agree he’s been as advertised. On a team w a decent defense (players and system) he probably looks a lot better. He looked really slow last night tho

Ironically enough, the price doesn’t really bother me. Especially with time as other contracts adjust around him.

For me, it’s always been about expectations. However, if this team can find him the right partner, I definitely think Trouba is the type of player whose contributions can more readily be enjoyed.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
But they paid Cadillac price for a Toyota.

I agree, Trouba is fine but nothing special. Not someone worth 8M long term though. He's not an elite defenseman or gamebreaker. I'd defintiely look to trade him before the no trade kicks in.

Reactions: EdJovanovski and hi

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

you listening lindy ?
I said it from the moment we acquired hm: he is the IDEAL #2 on a top-2, all situations type pair – and I am absolutely thrilled to have him in that role.

The problem, as we all know, and ODC highlights here, is that he doesn’t have a real #1 next to him on the left. Indeed, he has a guy who is probably better suited for the second pair on his left. Put a Hedman, Josi, Rielly, OEL, Makar (can you imagine?) over there and you’ve got a top, championship caliber pairing for years to come that would make everyone on this board ecstatic.

(Well... except for those who see Trouba’s contract as a reason ADA may eventually be dealt, and resent him for it).

Trouba plays an important role on this team that is very easy to under-appreciate.

Having said that, I think he’s essentially been what should’ve been expected. And that was my fear was going in - people getting a very well-equipped Camry, but expecting a Cadillac.

Ironically enough, the price doesn’t really bother me. Especially with time as other contracts adjust around him.

For me, it’s always been about expectations. However, if this team can find him the right partner, I definitely think Trouba is the type of player whose contributions can more readily be enjoyed.
I understand why you use the analogy, @Edge, but I think you do Jake a disservice by calling him a “Camry”. A “Camry” to me would be properly-slotted as a second pair guy. I think the more accurate comparison is that we signed a solid production Mercedes and need to be careful not to expect him to be a Bentley or Bugatti.

Last edited:
Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Who would win a foot race between him and 25 year old Dan Girardi? I think it would be closer than people think. They both play a similar physical game, Trouba being more aggressive and has a better shot. We need a physical guy but at 8 million, it's certainly not a bargain.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
His d game seems much better when he’s Scott Stevensing it up in the neutral zone.

NYR D so passive up till the circles - it’s gotta be coaching. I mean fk it let’s go 1-3-1 if we are up. It’s going to be better than this collapse

Agreed. The defensive scheme here has been abysmal since AV started implementing his system full on (iirc he adopted a "hybrid"in his first year here during our Stanley cup appearance year)

Deleted member 23124

He’s not being moved so I wouldn’t get your hopes up

The optics on it alone would be terrible

I also can’t fathom how people are ready to trade Trouba already, considering we have Lindy ****ing Ruff running the defense. Aka one of the worst defensive coaches in the league.
So, who's defensive schemes is Ruff running? He has to be taking orders from someone? DQ -- I would think he would have jettisoned AV disaster defense immediately.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So, who's defensive schemes is Ruff running? He has to be taking orders from someone? DQ -- I would think he would have jettisoned AV disaster defense immediately.
No idea, I’d imagine Quinn and him worked to figure something out.

Regardless, teams that Ruff has coached, whether it be as head coach or assistant, have been abysmal defensively for years.

It’s time for a change

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He’s not being moved so I wouldn’t get your hopes up

The optics on it alone would be terrible

I also can’t fathom how people are ready to trade Trouba already, considering we have Lindy ****ing Ruff running the defense. Aka one of the worst defensive coaches in the league.
People said the same thing about buying out the lifetime Ranger fan who took a pay cut to come here.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Dmen are reliant in their partners for success more than forwards. You can have a Ferrari but if you pair it with a Kia, the end result it's not going to be Italian sport car performance

Reactions: Riche16

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
People said the same thing about buying out the lifetime Ranger fan who took a pay cut to come here.
If we’re setting aside your very obvious bias against Trouba, trading him isn’t realistic

You don’t sign a guy for 7 years and then immediately trade him a year in. It never ever happens

And what kind of message does it send to other players when a guy forces his way here and makes it known it’s New York or nowhere, and then you trade him 1 year in

And he plays an important role on this team whether some want to admit it or not. DeAngelo would be getting tore up if he was playing top pairing minutes. And Fox is a rookie

It’s not going to happen.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009

Staal would be the old BMW of the team. Too expensive to fix.

Trouba will at least give us some mileage.

Deleted member 23124

No idea, I’d imagine Quinn and him worked to figure something out.

Regardless, teams that Ruff has coached, whether it be as head coach or assistant, have been abysmal defensively for years.

It’s time for a change
This defense is a continuation of the disaster AV created before Ruff was hired. While I'm not condoning his remaining, I am certainly hesitant to lay the blame for this at his feet.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Trouba is a bit overpaid right now, but I suspect that:

Trouba in 2 years will be paid market value for a top end RD2/low end RD1

Trouba in 4 years might be at a pretty good price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad