Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Jets fans are in full-on spin mode on him.

But, but, but ...

upload_2019-12-10_9-45-41.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The question is simple for the Rangers and their perspective:

On a roster that features ADA and Fox, who would you rather have finish the set on the right side?

Pionk or Trouba?

It’s game 7 of a playoff series and the season is on the line. Who do you want on the ice? Trouba or Pionk?

I think there’s this illusion that Trouba is significantly older than Pionk because of their respective paths to the NHL. The reality is that Trouba is all of a year older than Pionk. So it’s not like we traded a 20 year old prospect for a 29 year old grizzled veteran.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know, for all the talk about Pionk’s season, he’s an offensive leaning defenseman who has fewer goals and one less point than Trouba.

And when we factor in teams, age, and attributes beyond offensive production, I guess I am not really seeing it being all that close, even with the first going back to Winnipeg.

While people talk about Fox and ADA’s numbers as well, Trouba is almost quietly also on a 14 goal/45 point pace himself.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You can't talk to Winnipeg fans. Every player and prospect they have is great. Cockiest fanbase in sports.

Always disliked those fans, and by extension the team. "BEst FAnbASe iN The nHL!" Being insufferably loud and irritating doesn't make you a great fanbase, and neither does selling out your tiny barn every night, big whoop what the f*** else do Winnipegonians got to do, shovel snow?

Reactions: rangersfansince08

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You know, for all the talk about Pionk’s season, he’s an offensive leaning defenseman who has fewer goals and one less point than Trouba.

And when we factor in teams, age, and attributes beyond offensive production, I guess I am not really seeing it being all that close, even with the first going back to Winnipeg.

While people talk about Fox and ADA’s numbers as well, Trouba is almost quietly also on a 14 goal/45 point pace himself.

Pionk is still not an offensive defenseman. He only puts up points on the PP and the PP points are mostly the role (He and Morrisssey have both got PP1 time. He has 8 points there Morrissey has 7.)

He has all of 5 5v5 points this year (124th among dmen) after having 9 last year. He looks like an offensive defenseman because he is a good skater and likes to shoot.

There are 109 defenseman who have played at least 1500 minutes at 5v5 since last year. Pionk is 105th in points scored ahead of only Gudbranson, Grzelyck, Engelland and Jack Johnson.

And it's not that he makes plays that lead to offense while not scoring himself either. When he's on the ice the team scores at a very low rate (both in NY and WPG). His play might be better this year since he's not bleeding chances against but he's not an offensive defenseman at all. He's probably more like a John Moore who at times makes you think otherwise because of how good a skater he is that it seems like he is creative and generating chances.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pionk is still not an offensive defenseman. He only puts up points on the PP and the PP points are mostly the role (He and Morrisssey have both got PP1 time. He has 8 points there Morrissey has 7.)

He has all of 5 5v5 points this year (124th among dmen) after having 9 last year. He looks like an offensive defenseman because he is a good skater and likes to shoot.

There are 109 defenseman who have played at least 1500 minutes at 5v5 since last year. Pionk is 105th in points scored ahead of only Gudbranson, Grzelyck, Engelland and Jack Johnson.

And it's not that he makes plays that lead to offense while not scoring himself either. When he's on the ice the team scores at a very low rate (both in NY and WPG). His play might be better this year since he's not bleeding chances against but he's not an offensive defenseman at all. He's probably more like a John Moore who at times makes you think otherwise because of how good a skater he is that it seems like he is creative and generating chances.

I get all that, and none of it’s false, but if he’s put on the power play, because that’s where his role allows him to put up points, then to some degree he’s viewed as an offensive defenseman.

That’s also a big reason why the first thing people point to with Pionk is his points. Whereas other defensemen, say Trouba, typically don’t see that happen, even if they actually have more points.

And that kind of segways into my point/takeaway that while some are pointing to Pionk’s season, and using offensive totals as a pillar, he’s still not even winning the “comparison” in that regard, despite it being a more fundamental component of his game, his utilization, and right or wrong, how his success is viewed.

It really wasn’t to debate how one defines an offensive defenseman or how Pionk’s usage either does or doesn’t make him a true offensive defenseman. I agree with what you’re saying and you’re overall assessment of Pionk. I just think he’s viewed the way he’s viewed and utilized a certain way accordingly.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
We got a steady vet because we needed one. They got a young potential stud because they're loading up on those.

Win win, how bout that!

Your definition of ‘young, potential stud’ is not one that I’m familiar with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The "steady vet" is basically 7 months older than the "young potential stud" (something nobody has ever mentioned Pionk as being).

The age thing has always been ironic to me --- 1994 compared to 1995. It wasn't a Brassard for Zibanejad type difference.

And I would agree about the stud thing. Even if I thought this board could be a bit harsh on Pionk, that's not a term that was regularly associated with him by those who were more accepting of him as a player.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Your definition of ‘young, potential stud’ is not one that I’m familiar with.
Ha ok I'll adjust my verbage for you guys.

The Rangers acquired a more experienced, slightly older, proven NHL defenseman in exchange for a slightly younger, inexperienced defenseman with potential first pairing upside...

Does that sound right lol?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Ha ok I'll adjust my verbage for you guys.

The Rangers acquired a more experienced, slightly older, proven NHL defenseman in exchange for a slightly younger, inexperienced defenseman with potential first pairing upside...

I have never thought Pionk has 1st pairing upside.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
The "steady vet" is basically 7 months older than the "young potential stud" (something nobody has ever mentioned Pionk as being).
Then what was the trade about? Did both teams not aquire what they intended? If you're addressing the hyperbole I used then I'm sorry I'll be more conservative with my language lol

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Then what was the trade about? Did both teams not aquire what they intended? If you're addressing the hyperbole I used then I'm sorry I'll be more conservative with my language lol
What was the trade about? For the Jets it was getting assets for a guy they likely couldn't keep. For the Rangers it was about getting a young, proven player who they could keep and immediately improve their blueline now and in the future.

Reactions: Musto

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well the Jets do and he plays for them

Something tells me he slides down the depth chart if they had other options.

So I think there's also an element of where he's playing vs. where he ideally belongs.

Someone would look at Brady Skjei right now, look at his stat line, and how we're using him, and proclaim him a first pairing defenseman. But that proclamation wouldn't necessarily make it so.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Something tells me he slides down the depth chart if they had other options.

So I think there's also an element of where he's playing vs. where he ideally belongs.

Someone would look at Brady Skjei right now, look at his stat line, and how we're using him, and proclaim him a first pairing defenseman. But that proclamation wouldn't necessarily make it so.

Yeah, if Buff was still playing, Pionk is not on their top pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00