Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
jake may well be some what miscast in the role as top pair matchup guy. his instincts sometimes are questionable and he seems occasionally slow to process fluid situations- which happens sometimes in ice hockey lol. but for the most part, hes done very well. he eats minutes, coach finds him dependable and he stays out of the box plus hes been healthy. he can log a ton of ice and play both PP and PK. sounds like a top pair guy to me.

the problem is his partner. brady hasent developed and those 2 together are sometime a comedy of errors and that translates directly into ghastly goals against.

this defense continues to struggle at preventing dangerous scoring chances become they just yield too much ice and back in as though they are being taught to do just that.

its as though stepping up and getting burned is the only consideration and thus, they step back and give space.

to me they play a very passive protective system almost like there are 2 marc staals on every pair and they all play like staal plays. dont go up ice, dont get caught flat footed in no mans land and dont step- do something stupid- and create odd man chances against. they play afraid.

you listening lindy ?

Brady is definitely not the problem, he's been perfectly fine this year lmao(as frustrating as he is sometimes). Lindy Ruff is the true problem, everyone and their mothers know that. Maybe Quinn has a hand in it too, hard to say.

The only D-man we have that's had the ability to defend the blue line this year is Fox. But even he's started to back off a bit more lately. Another problem is that this D is rather slow. Fox isn't a great skater, nor is Trouba, and we know how Staal is. Skjei and DeAngelo are the best skaters we have on D. Hajek is a good skater and Lindgren is pretty good with it now too, but those guys all have other big limitations. ADA can't actually defend, Skjei is a little empty-headed sometimes, Hajek has flat out sucked at everything this year, Lindgren has done alright and has shown some flashes of being steady but his results still aren't anything great. Not having recovery speed can be really detrimental sometimes. Difference for Fox is that he has the IQ to counter it with exquisite positioning.

But circling back to Trouba;; personally, I like him but don't love him. Can't really pass the puck that well, isn't overly skilled. He can rip shots and hasn't shown the ability to be a shutdown defensive player this team could use. Not at his price tag. I think I would see things a lot different if he was making 6-6.5M instead of 8M.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Pionk under Quinn and Ruff: worst player in the NHL AINEC. Pionk on a different team on a competent system: better than Trouba , top 4 dman. Trouba all of a sudden sucks. Hmmmm....

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Trouba plays an important role on this team that is very easy to under-appreciate.

Having said that, I think he’s essentially been what should’ve been expected. And that was my fear was going in - people getting a very well-equipped Camry, but expecting a Cadillac.

Who drives a Cadillac anymore?

Reactions: Edge

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pionk under Quinn and Ruff: worst player in the NHL AINEC. Pionk on a different team on a competent system: better than Trouba , top 4 dman. Trouba all of a sudden sucks. Hmmmm....
Pionk has been sucking as normal since like game 10.

I'm all for yeeting our coaches into the 5th dimension but Trouba sucks defensively here because he's sucked defensively everywhere always.

Reactions: Dactyl

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I said it from the moment we acquired hm: he is the IDEAL #2 on a top-2, all situations type pair – and I am absolutely thrilled to have him in that role.

The problem, as we all know, and ODC highlights here, is that he doesn’t have a real #1 next to him on the left. Indeed, he has a guy who is probably better suited for the second pair on his left. Put a Hedman, Josi, Rielly, OEL, Makar (can you imagine?) over there and you’ve got a top, championship caliber pairing for years to come that would make everyone on this board ecstatic.

(Well... except for those who see Trouba’s contract as a reason ADA may eventually be dealt, and resent him for it).

I understand why you use the analogy, @Edge, but I think you do Jake a disservice by calling him a “Camry”. A “Camry” to me would be properly-slotted as a second pair guy. I think the more accurate comparison is that we signed a solid production Mercedes and need to be careful not to expect him to be a Bentley or Bugatti.

lol, I’m cool switching the makes and models around.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But they paid Cadillac price for a Toyota.

I agree, Trouba is fine but nothing special. Not someone worth 8M long term though. He's not an elite defenseman or gamebreaker. I'd defintiely look to trade him before the no trade kicks in.

I kind of feel like the price tag is about what a Camry goes for in today’s NHL — or at least the NHL in the not too distant future.

I think in the next couple of years, we’re going to see quite a few players at his level, or lower, with similar or higher contracts.

Reactions: White Death 24

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
lol, I’m cool switching the makes and models around.
I mean, I get why you laugh, but people have definite associations with makes/models and when you call the big trade acquisition over the summer/first pairing D a “Camry” you’re implying that he’s essentially the very definition of middle of the pack at his position (i.e. competent #3-4 D). And that does not help given the current agenda a certain contingent of posters are driving. :dunno:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Trouba is a bit overpaid right now, but I suspect that:

Trouba in 2 years will be paid market value for a top end RD2/low end RD1

Trouba in 4 years might be at a pretty good price.

Or he stagnates or even declines and gets passed on the depth chart by Fox/DeAngelo/Lundkvist and Rangers are stuck with a bloated cap number tied to a depth defenseman.

I wanna like Trouba. He plays hard and physical, he’ll wow you with some nice vision in the offensive zone here and there but i don’t see a high end defenseman most of the time when I watch him. He doesn’t make enough plays with the puck and he gets beat pretty frequently too.

I’d like be wrong but it feels like it’s ginna be a bad contract

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I mean, I get why you laugh, but people have definite associations with makes/models and when you call the big trade acquisition over the summer/first pairing D a “Camry” you’re implying that he’s essentially the very definition of middle of the pack at his position (i.e. competent #3-4 D). And that does not help given the current agenda a certain contingent of posters are driving. :dunno:

This is...a...real...conversation?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Trouba has been, at times, on an island this season. He was with Hajek, who by all accounts looks like he needs more AHL time.

Then he got paired with Staal for games and now Skjei.

Skjei is a nice player. Good 2nd pairing guy. Never took the jump we hoped into being a top pair player. He's in over his head against top guys all the time.

Let's find someone that can even be a #3 on a good team to pair with him before we start opening up discussion on it being a bad move.

Hopefully that is coming in the next few seasons, as the kids mature.

At this point, he should probably play with Fox. Forget the LHD/RHD thing. Play our real top 4.

Fox-Trouba
Skjei-DeAngelo

At least Fox would give him a chance to have a high end talented partner. Have Lindgren and Hajek play 3rd pair and Staal sits.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
oh look larry slobbering on hayes' junk like he's doing a pierre mcguire impression of a crosby game
I mean, that's a valid point also.

I'd rather have Hayes at the same price but my first choice at that price is neither.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
No way . Take the RD over them 3rd line C playing 2nd line

Need a kid at 2c... this is not about this year

Pionk , Shatty, DeAngelo ,Fox does what exactly ? That’s 1 too many

I will live w 1 crap cap year hit on Shatty the team won’t be ready to actually compete for a playoff run till 2 yrs from now anyway

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trouba is fine, when you play heavy minutes against the leagues best you are gonna get burned from time to time unless you are Lidstrom. Our forwards need to do a better job helping the d.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Trouba is beyond fine. He’s what you want, a leader for the D corps. He’s trying to do everything with a very green, mistake prone defense that’s poorly coached. Hopefully we can bring in a legitimate top 3 LHD and fire Ruff, which along with growth from the young guys will result, or should result, in Trouba also looking a lot better next year. This year was always going to be a growing season with struggles. Also I got a Trouba authentic for Christmas so I’d better be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad