Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm beginning to believe that the player may be in the organization but not yet with the team. A guy like Lindgren or Rykov may be a nice partner for a guy like Trouba.
That may well be. Though Rykov needs adjustment time and not sure he is top line material. Lindgren I like a lot and think that he is criminally underrated 'round these parts, but also do not believe that he is a top pairing guy. Though I also think he outperformed Hajek in camp and deserves a shot.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Trouba plays well defensively. He's strong and he hits too--got a mean streak. That shot he gave Hathaway last night was a good one.

He has no issue on the power play. Moves the puck well and has a heavy cannon of a shot which is something we haven't seen around here for quite a while.

I think the Rangers are eventually going to have to move on from one of either DeAngelo or Fox. Right now opposition coaches are trying to get their best players away from Trouba and get them on the ice against Tony or Adam. Those two are a little bit too much alike.

Trouba could use a better partner. This year maybe Rykov or Lindgren get a shot at that too. I like Skjei better on the 2nd pairing.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trouba could use a better partner. This year maybe Rykov or Lindgren get a shot at that too. I like Skjei better on the 2nd pairing.
As Viper said, his partner may not be in the organization right now. I had hoped that Hajek would seize the situation, but he has not. And Lindgren, who was better than Hajek in camp, is not a top pairing defenseman. Wish he was, but he isn't.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He's been as advertised. Very very good. Zero issues to this point. My only concern as I said is at some point he's going to miss a few games due to his style a la Callahan and when that happens, who will pick up the minutes?

Reactions: jas

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He's been as advertised. Very very good. Zero issues to this point. My only concern as I said is at some point he's going to miss a few games due to his style a la Callahan and when that happens, who will pick up the minutes?

Wait until he sticks up for teammates by a cheap shot or when someone does a late poke at the goalies, and no I dont wanna hear people say let Haley do that. Trouba wont let players poke at the goalies. Underrated fighter. Good team player

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I think the Rangers are eventually going to have to move on from one of either DeAngelo or Fox. Right now opposition coaches are trying to get their best players away from Trouba and get them on the ice against Tony or Adam. Those two are a little bit too much alike.
Interesting that you say this, I find Ada and Fox have nothing in common, go about playing the position in very different ways. I still see Ada as more of a pure offensive D, while I see Fox becoming a really steady smart two way D who will add offense. I actually think either one would be better at pp1 then Trouba but they’ll have to steal that job. I like a lot what Trouba does in the old school way, but not a fan of the big shots from the point on pp1 when we have such good players that can get better chances. Most of the time those Trouba shots just freeze the play as goalies eat them up. Still this will be a very good problem to have on RD since we have some lefty D help coming up.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Any word on Trouba’s injury? Maybe we need a separate Injuries thread. So many guys banged up.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Trouba has one point, an assist, in the last 13 games.

We are getting lots of nice scoring from guys like Fox, Strome, Kakko, etc, but would be nice for Trouba to start putting some stats up.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Trouba has one point, an assist, in the last 13 games.

We are getting lots of nice scoring from guys like Fox, Strome, Kakko, etc, but would be nice for Trouba to start putting some stats up.

I mentioned last night that while Trouba isn't putting up points right now, his defensive game is very calm and steady. Definitely stabilizes things.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
He's looked a lot better the last few weeks or so. Picking up the points and defensive play. Already has 5 goals on the season with a career high of 10 and 8 last season. All in all I am pleased with his play as a Ranger.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
as someone pointed out, he's playing with Skjei now and that seems to help versus trying to support a rookie.

I'm a little up and down on him...he sometimes gets way too aggressive in the neutral zone and gets caught, but does a lot of other stuff well and his main problem with suppressing shots is one the entire team has and at least looks like a systemic issues. they back up way too much and give way too much space to oposing forwards rather than keeping a close gap and preventing shooting lanes. Maybe some of that is a system that asks them to play soft like that, or maybe it's lacking any back pressure from teh forwards so the D feel like they have to back up. I dunno but they all do it basically.

Reactions: NYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pionk isn't playing as bad this year but I assume most sane people still make that trade 100/100 times

I know I would
Yeah he looks less jittery, not like he was skating with a rabid bear chasing him like last year, but I don't really see anything special. I mean I was a "Pionk Guy" up until the latter part of last year when it became apparent he couldn't really hack it, but I still saw a guy who under the right conditions could be a competent player. But better than Trouba? GTFO.

Reactions: CasusBelli

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's no Neal Pionk, who is apparently a legit #1D now in Winnipeg.
Pionk puts up over half his points in the first ~25 games. He bamboozled us—twice—and now he’s doing the same thing there. He’s not even Winnipeg’s 1D, Morrissey is.

People on the main boards just want this to be a thing for the sake of trade drama, as per usual on this site.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I said it over the off-season, Pionk is a guy who lives and dies based on his ability to skate. He hurt his leg about half-way through the season and then his struggles got worse and worse. It shouldn't really be a surprise that he is better this year than last year. He's healthy.

I still take Trouba all day every day. He provides a true top-pairing defenseman on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad