Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
jake trouba is a horse. period.

he will play 25 reliable 1st pair minutes per game. he skates well, he makes good passes and he can play the PP1 point with that strong shot. he seems stoked to be a nyr and hes letter material down the pike.

so far, he's been mostly terrific.

this was a solid trade for a 25 yr old first pair guy. he checks boxes. few years from now, we will look back and say this was a smart trade and signing.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
No complaints at all. I didn't know much about him but watching him so far is really nice to see. Great move in getting him here.

About the rest of our D I think Skjei and Staal are the weak links. Although I don't think Staal is as bad as he was a couple of years ago.

Reactions: NY Lito

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Early verdict is that I was very, very wrong on Trouba.

I knew he was a good player but two things that always concerned me were the cost to acquire him and the cost to retain him. So far I am beyond thrilled with this acquisition. If he can keep up this level of play, his contract will begin to look better and better.

Putting aside where he goes from here, a big contributing factor is the cost to acquire him.

It's one thing to send Winnipeg's pick back to them, along with Pionk. It's another when we start talking about some of the earlier proposals.

Whether he's a number one, ideally a number a two, going to hold-up to being a focus on defense, etc., I really can't complain when you look at the price.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whether he's a number one, ideally a number a two, going to hold-up to being a focus on defense, etc., I really can't complain when you look at the price.
Exactly. I was against trading for him for some of the reasons that you state. But at the price that Gorton paid, it was a no brainer.

Reactions: Edge

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Trouba with 60-70 poins on this team with this forward group would probably make him a Hart candidate imo

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I'd be more than okay with those point totals.
Yea same here. 40 would be very good. 50 would be amazing. I still question his offensive upside. Is he McDonagh-level (good but not great offensively), or is he better than that? I guess we’ll find out.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Once the Rangers can identify a long term partner for Trouba, he will be that much better. I don’t know if that player is under our roof right now.

Very true. But nonetheless, Quinn needs to deploy him like the workhorse he is. I was ready to throw my remote through the TV watching Staal and DeAngelo trying to contain the McDavid line last game. That needs to change, fast.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You shouldn't expect a jump then. Winnipeg had the 6th highest number of goals in the league last season. Rangers will be lucky if they aren't among the 6th lowest in that category this season.

Defenseman scoring is almost purely based on which forwards they are on the ice with. A good defenseman can easily score more points on a bad team if he's constantly put out with the top line than on a good team if his usage is spread out. Letang for example historically plays about 55% of the time with Crosby and another 20% or so with Malkin. When he's not with them he basically does not score.

That said so far this year Trouba has not be out much with the top line and he got a good amount of time with the WPG top line last year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Defenseman scoring is almost purely based on which forwards they are on the ice with. A good defenseman can easily score more points on a bad team if he's constantly put out with the top line than on a good team if his usage is spread out. Letang for example historically plays about 55% of the time with Crosby and another 20% or so with Malkin. When he's not with them he basically does not score.

That said so far this year Trouba has not be out much with the top line and he got a good amount of time with the WPG top line last year.

I didn't really specify this because I thought it was obvious he played a lot with the top lines in Winnipeg. This isn't a situation of a player getting more minutes or favourable match-ups/zonestarts.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Once the Rangers can identify a long term partner for Trouba, he will be that much better. I don’t know if that player is under our roof right now.

I'm beginning to believe that the player may be in the organization but not yet with the team. A guy like Lindgren or Rykov may be a nice partner for a guy like Trouba.

Reactions: belford22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->